1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Door handle cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:33 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door handle cable

Well I would post in the other fourm, but I seem to get more intellegent responses here.

How do I get the door handle cable off inside the door? How do I replace the cable?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What other forum? I thought this was "THE ONLY" forum. LOL

You will have to, obviously, remove the door panel. Then remove the door handle mechanism from the inside of the door. The cable is connected to that. Also to remove the cable from the latch I think you will either need to romove it or just take it loose so you can get to the cable attachment. Sorry, I can't remember that. It is really not all that hard just a little tedious.

What kind of problems are you having that you need to replace the cable?
If it is because it is getting stretched out you can fix that. I pulled the inner handle mechanism and removed the cable from it. Then I determined which way the steel cable was twisted in the casing. I then took some pliers and twisted the head of the cable in the same direction therefore making it tighter and slightly shorter. Then I carefully reattached it to the mechanism trying not to let it unspool on me then reinstall everything. Still works fine to this day.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:02 AM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
the door will not open from the inside. The little catch does not move enough when pulling from the inside. Don't know it's the cable for sure, but pretty positive.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
I would bet the cable is stretched. Mine did the same thing. I broke two pull handles because I had to yank it so hard. Then it finally quit working. The part I needed was very expensive so I just twisted the cable enough and it works like it is brand new now. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get the cable here: LMC Truck Parts - Page 17 item #12 for $14.95.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
I already bought the cable locally new for 12.95, just dont know how to get the part that attaches to the latch off and then put the new one on... guess ill have to take the latch assembly out.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
IIRC you will have to remove the latch.
I believe the part that was worn on mine is the handle assembly. I am sure the cable was stretched out also.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:53 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
you can just tweak the door handle (the metal part) to account for the worn cable. works great too.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 PM
rusty9cab
Senior User
I just replaced mine not too long ago. There is a plastic cover over the latch that you need to remove before you can take of the bars that run to it loose. I had some trouble with this cover because it was so dark in the door. It looks like it just slides up and off, but it has a clip that runs across the bottom of the cover that you need to pop loose. It is hard to describe if you are not looking at it but you will see what I am talking about. I work 30 or so minutes trying to get that dang cover off before I realized it was latched on. Hope this helps. Adam

Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 PM
onefarmer
Senior User
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
you can just tweak the door handle (the metal part) to account for the worn cable. works great too.
That is what I did just a few weeks ago on the 96PSDF250 and on the 95F150 a few years ago.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:14 AM
notiones
Junior User

I just replaced this on my truck. Took me some time to figure it out too. If you can get a drop light in the door it will help.

I removed the inside door handle from the door and used a screwdriver to pop the plastic retainer loose (It is tight). This allows for easy removal of the cable on this end. On the other end, lift the plastic/vinyl latch cover up and tuck in behind/around. It has a christmas tree thingy holding it at the top. I didn't even try to get this out. Just tucked it up and over. Then, with a small pair of right angle needle nose pliers I popped the other end off the latch and removed the cable. Assembly is basically the reverse of removal.

I also R/R the entire latch assembly on the other door. It took about two hours from start to finish so if you don't have to remove it, I wouldn't. The only benefit of removing the entire assembly is that it allowed me to clean and lube in a very precise manner.

I can post pics if you need them. I have an old latch assembly out of the truck that will allow you to see all of the parts.

Last edited by notiones; 03-07-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: add text
Old 05-01-2010, 11:51 AM
300sixpack
Freshman User
So I have a little bit different problem. My interior handle has never given me any problems - no hard pull, no broken handles, nothing to indicate a problem.

Then last weekend, it acted like it seized up. I cannot get it to move, and I don't want to break the handle off. I took the door panel off and tried to get the latch assembly out, but there are so damn many linkages between the outer latch, lock, inner handle, and PDL actuator that I was not too keen on screwing with it much more.

And that plastic shroud around where the cable connects to the latch is a real pain in the @$$ - I could not figure out how to get it off. I will try to do what rusty9cab said and see if I can fix it. I am stumped because there were no signs of problems. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Old 05-01-2010, 12:45 PM
300sixpack
Freshman User
Nevermind. I figured out that it is actually the linkage between the mounting plate for the handle and the bracket that pulls the cable. The pin between the two has worn into the bracket, causing th pivot point to jam. Now I just gotta find a good one at a junkyard!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:45 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
I need to do this... If you have pictures please post them.

One thing to remember to is look at your door pins. I noticed my door was sagging and that's probably why everything got out of whack. I replaced the pins lastweekend, but still haven't messed with the door handle yet.

I thought the cable was a ford only item?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:13 AM
notiones
Junior User

I'll try to get pics up in the next few days. I've got a lot of irons in the fire right now so if y'all don't see them within a few days please drop me a note as a reminder.

Quick Reply: Door handle cable