6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 is on the tow truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4 is on the tow truck

I was driving just a little bit ago, accelerating to 65mph and got to 60 and she quit accelerating, I hit the foot feed and it started to buck. Then the check engine light came on. All power was lost, started losing speed so I got to a frontage road and stopped, shut it off and restarted. I couldn't get it to go over 20 mph. Limped it 3 miles home and got in the garage and it smelled HOT! It belched a little smoke a couple of times but mostly it was pretty normal looking at the tail pipe.

Hopefully they will figure it out quickly. The temp is 28 degrees so it shouldn't be gelling. I'll take bets on your guys thoughts.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dang, I'm sorry. My only relation is that the #8 cylinder went dead on me one time and the motor behaved very similar to what you are describing though I don't remember the HOT part....

I limped it to my dealer as I was talking to them on the phone. The diesel mechanic came out to the parking lot, popped the hood, re-installed the connector for #8 and away I went. It just happened to be his first instinct. He's really a cool guy but we laughed and uttered "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good"

Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injector would be my first guess too. Keep us posted.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
They called me and said that the truck needs an "EGR and housing assembly". The part is currently on backorder there are none available in the country right now. Looks like I am going to be without that truck for quite a while. All of my veterinary equipment is in the back of that thing and I make a good chunk of my spring revenue out of it so I hope they can get the part and fix it quick before the spring calls start rolling in.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you were not so far away I would let you use our GMC 2500HD gasser but I'm guessing SC to MN would be around 1800 miles one way.

Is there a reason that the part failed?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
I didn't have time to grill him on the phone, busy day. I am going to have to drive down there and get some stuff out of the truck and turn the refridgerator off to spare the batteries etc and I'll ask some questions then but he did say they have seen a few of these go so I am going to see if they think it is just a high problem part or if there is something I can do to prevent it from happening again.

I appreciate the sentiment on the available truck. I am borrowing a dodge dakota for a couple of days and then I don't know what I will be in after that.

Last edited by Buckarcher; 03-04-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added sentence
Old 03-04-2009, 06:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
subscribing

Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Do you let the truck idle a lot?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
Shoot ruschejj -- I edited that last post to add a sentence thanking you for the sentiment about the available truck even tho it's too far as you said.

caprang -- I don't know what you think is a lot. The only times I let it idle is when it is below zero outside and I run into someplace for 5-20 minutes. I do have a remote start too and will warm it up for 5-10 minutes before I go home at night if it is cold out, but anything above 15-20 degrees out and I almost never idle it outside of normal driving or stopping to talk to someone out the window in a parking lot etc.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Im just grasping at ideas. I did the high idle mod on my truck because I also use a remote starter and probably let it idle more than I should. I read the reason for the high idle mod was to prevent wet stacking which leads to EGR problems. Im just trying to see if there is any connection. I dont know the definition of a "lot" either because there are some guys on here claiming they leave trucks running for most of a day and then other guys say no more than a minute or 2.
Sorry that you are having to go through this. Keep us posted.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
Ford sent out the EGR yesterday but the dealer doesn't know where it is coming from or exactly how long it will take to get here, but it is on the way.

They really didn't have any explanation except they said it really should never idle more than a minute or two.

Looks like I will have my truck back by the end of next week at the latest tho.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Bluemountain
New User
Just had my Egr done. The dealer also told me that the part was on back order and that they will need to keep my truck until it arrives. Later that same day they called and said it was done. They broke two of the special tools used to get it out and had to use an air chisel to finish the job, it was that bad. Good luck. We have to love the new emission standards. My service rep told me it was probably caused by to much idleing. He also said if I had a 7.3 this would not be a problem but the 6.0 and 6.4 does not like to idle long.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
jhaines10
Junior User
Sorry for the dumb questions guys I'm new to the diesel stuff. What is wet stacking and what is the high idle mod?

Old 03-07-2009, 04:56 PM
wreckit72
Elder User
It took two weeks for the dealer to replace the EGR coolers on my truck. They also replaced the cat and the DPF and couldn't get one of the sensors out of the exhaust so they replaced that too.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
Well the dealer finally called today and said the truck was ready. I am planning to go pick it up tomorrow morning. *sarcasm* They only had it a total of 10 days. */sarcasm*

Quick Reply: 6.4 is on the tow truck