6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

F-550 and 6.4L Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 AM
SouthernX
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-550 and 6.4L Engine

OK. Sorry to bring this up for probably for the umpteenth time. I did search and read some threads about the 6.4 but I was hoping for some feedback that would answer some of my questions directly. Here goes...

I would like to hear any opinions you may have on Ford's 6.4 diesel and / or 2008 F-550s. I am thinking of trading in my '96 F-250 7.3 and purchasing an new F-550. Ford has some great rebates right now on 2008 diesel Super-Dutys. Before I buy I want to try and found out as much as I can so I'll be happy with the truck. If I buy the F-550 I plan on keeping it for a long time.

I've negotiated a good price with a dealer but I'm still holding back at this point. Seems like some people are having little or no problems while others seem to be having lots of problems. I talked to a guy today who drives "hotshots" for a living and he said everyone he knows with a 6.4 has had nothing but problems and he wouldn't touch one. Mind you, he drives a Dodge with a Cummins 5.9. He swears the 5.9 is a much better motor that will out pull the 6.4 and is much more reliable. I have seen some people post about the 6.4s just "blowing-up". Is this a major recurring issue? Has anyone been able to correlate a manufacturing date to this problem. Are some 6.4s after a certain date more reliable the others (again, I am looking at a new 2008). Gas mileage aside this 6.4 F-550 truck seems awesome. The advertised 600 ft/lbs of torque the 6.4 is supposed to generate is a lot more than my 7.3 which if I remember is about 475 ft/lbs.

I keep reading about the DPF (Dirt Particulate Filter?) issue. So far it has become obvious that the DPF is a major pain, robbing the truck of MPG and power. How easy is it to "work" around the DPF problem and what are the solutions? How expensive are the fixes?

This particular truck has 4.88s which won't help the MPG (but will help the towing). I think if I had the choice I would have chose the 4.30s but I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions of the 4.30s vs. the 4.88s.

I will be using F-550 to pull fairly heavy loads up to 18K pounds. Will the F-550 stand up to pulling that kind of weight on a regular basis? I know the F-550 is rated to pull that kind of weight. But being rated to do it vs. doing it on a regular basis and not falling apart are two different things. I suppose the alternative is something like a Freightliner 70 (1999 FREIGHTLINER FL70 Conventional Truck w/o Sleeper For Sale At TruckPaper.com) or similar but I'm not sure I want to get into that. I'm not sure I would want to give up the comfort of the F-550 for the more semi-like FL70 (though I suppose for lots of pulling the FL70 probably is a superior choice). Anybody going to be bold and say the F-550 is a better truck than the FL70 for towing?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:44 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Well I think a F450 would do the same job just a easily, But to your questions about the 6.4. It is a outstanding motor. There are some issues, but they seem to be limited to just a few. As for as the cummins 5.9 there are issues with that as well.

Early 08's had a lot of DPF problems but I think those have been fixed as I don't they job 3's are really having a problem at all that I know of.

I think that you would be happy, bigest of issues is changing your habits such as don't let the truck just idle all day long. Short idle periods at start-up and 3-5 idle at shut down.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulling that kind of weight I dont think any truck will get decent mpg. The DPF can be an inconvenience but if you are working the truck then it shouldnt be an issue. I think its more of an issue if you dont use the truck that often or for longer trips. You can work around it but its an EPA violation as well as voiding your warranty if detected by Ford. It requires a replacement pipe and a programmer.

Most of the problems have been corrected with updates. I dont know of any changes to hard parts of the engine. There have been a few people on here say they blew an engine but when you ask why they just disappear with no explanation. Anything mechanical will have a couple bad ones get out but overall this seems to be a pretty solid engine. As Senix said, the 450 will do the job for the weight you are carrying so you may look for one with 4.30 gears. The 450 or 550 will hold up to that weight for a looooooong time. I know guys with 350's doing the same work with over 150k on the clock.

Dodge guys are very loyal. Not just truck guys either. True Mopar guys are die hard, almost like a cult. I race with a bunch of Mopar guys so I know this first hand. They were at a Dodge only event and one of the hot dog vendors came in with a Ford truck. Shouldnt be an issue but they threw rocks at his truck and the police had to be called. All because a Ford truck showed up at a Mopar event. the 5.9 is a good engine and those owners should be proud of them, but you can no longer get the 5.9 and the 6.4 is as good (or better) as any other truck at the 250-550 level

Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 PM
hmelander
New User
We have an 08 F-450 6.4L with 4.88 rear. Have 16K miles on it and pull a 17K pound 5er. Fuel economy (maybe bad choice of words) is around 7.4 with that rig and 12.0 solo both running at 2,250 RPM (around 61 MPH). Check your numbers and really consider a 4.30 rear vice 4.80 and a 450 vice a 550. Another issue (for me) is that we are (read "were") Mexico travelers and they don't have ULSD. Thus no taking truck into Mexico. I hear word in forums that Ford is looking at anothe engine and don't know if that means they don't like this engine or if it is a NAVASTAR/Ford issue. Another thing I don't care for is that I will be having to install air bags on the rear to accomodate my Lance truck camper (weight around 5K loaded). The stock rear really settles down and it does with the trailer.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
SouthernX
New User
Adequate Rear End Springs?

Originally Posted by hmelander
[ snip... ] Another thing I don't care for is that I will be having to install air bags on the rear to accomodate my Lance truck camper (weight around 5K loaded). The stock rear really settles down and it does with the trailer.
So if I understand you correctly your are saying that the stock springs don't really handle a whole lot of weight well. Is that right? This F550 has the High Capacity Tow (you get the 4.88s) package so off the top of my I don't know if that includes beefed up springs or if that is a separate option. I would have choosen the 4.30s but I don't get that choice in this case. I would have considered a F450 but so far haven't found one on a lot that meets my needs

Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
As you probably know, the F-550 only comes in Chassis-cab configuration. The F-450 pickup is actually rated to tow more than the 550 CC and with the 4.30 gear as opposed to the 550 with a 4.88 gear. Here is the link for the '09 towing guide. Unless you just want to go with an aftermarket bed on the 550, from the sounds of it, you'd be better off going with the 450 pickup.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...9RVTTguide.pdf

Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
SouthernX
New User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
As you probably know, the F-550 only comes in Chassis-cab configuration. The F-450 pickup is actually rated to tow more than the 550 CC and with the 4.30 gear as opposed to the 550 with a 4.88 gear. Here is the link for the '09 towing guide. Unless you just want to go with an aftermarket bed on the 550, from the sounds of it, you'd be better off going with the 450 pickup.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...9RVTTguide.pdf
Yes, I'm putting on a flat bed.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
you probably could do that with the 450? might want to explore that option as well.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:00 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Only problem with the 450CC is you lose almost 3000 lbs. of towing capacity.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 PM
dzldude
Senior User
the 6.4 engine is great.iv got 41k on mine and have towed up to 20k with it with no prob.iv got 4:30s and get 8 loaded and 12 unloaded.id really recomend the f550 with the powerstroke its a great truck.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ill tell you what a friend off mine has a 550 he uses for his construction business, It has a flatbed with tool boxes an pulls a flatbed with a skid steer sizzors lift an on occassion a back hoe. He uses it hard every day. The only thing I know he had problems with are a bad radiator. But none since he had that replaced.That truck has not had an easy life. Its used hard every day. The only thing that holds up for him in his business is these Fords. He wouldnt own a Dodge or Chevy. Id say go for it youll love it. These trucks are built like a tank made for hard use. Why would you consider anything else. Ive rode in this truck. For a 550 they ride like a dream an have power to burn. My friend has removed the DPF an has added some power mods. Wow this truck has some power under the hood.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
I think the main difference in the 450-550 is payload. If you are going to have a really heavy service body then I agree 550. If you are just towing then I would go 450. In your original post you only mentioned "pulling" weight so I just assumed you were only worried about towing.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 PM
SouthernX
New User
I'm looking at 2008 models so I can take advantage of the great rebate offer. That being the case, I have to take what's on the lots out there and right now it is getting pretty hard to find 450 / 550 4x4 crew-cabs. The best deal that is closet to what I want right now is a 550. I did price a 450 but the guy didn't really want to deal. I found a 550 at another dealer and it is a lot better deal.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:22 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 AM
hmelander
New User
Originally Posted by SouthernX
So if I understand you correctly your are saying that the stock springs don't really handle a whole lot of weight well. Is that right? This F550 has the High Capacity Tow (you get the 4.88s) package so off the top of my I don't know if that includes beefed up springs or if that is a separate option. I would have choosen the 4.30s but I don't get that choice in this case. I would have considered a F450 but so far haven't found one on a lot that meets my needs
My previous truck was an '03 F-450 chassis cab with aftermarket pickup bed. Suspension was tight and truck camper as well as 5er were not an issue. This 450 is a store bought pickup and Ford probably undersprings it for comfortable ride since it is a pickup and not a chassis upon which to build something heavy like a construction, wrecker, reefer box, etc..

Quick Reply: F-550 and 6.4L Engine