1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Roof mounted metal visor for Ford truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:14 PM
CAPTAIN
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof mounted metal visor for Ford truck?

I've seen numerous metal visors for the older Cheby and GMC trucks available and even some for the early Ford cars, but who makes (made) them for the Ford trucks (48-52)?
If not, I guess I'll have to fab up some custom brackets and try to get something else to work/look good. I prefer not to drill holes into the roof of the cab, so I'd like to use the door jamb as the mounting point for the side brackets.

I like the nostalgic hot rod look of them and would consider putting one on my '49 down the road, but am doing my homework first.

Any pics out there of visors on these old Ford pickups?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Here's one that's on a truck for sale now on eBay. I think it's a Fulton, but I guess there were other companies that made them too. There's one on a truck in a yard in Kansas I've tried to buy off the old man for years but he won't sell it by itself. Only wants to sell the whole truck, and thinks that rust is gold. Here's the eBay link and the pic itself.

eBay Motors: Ford (item 180331011089 end time Feb-28-09 23:46:17 PST)

Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem is most or all of the visors I have seen were designed for two piece windshields. The center support is braced to the divider of the windshield. Take a look at Julie's Cools album. She did a great job of adapting one to her truck. Unfortunately she had to fab a center support which is attached to the roof of her truck. That being said, she did a great job of hiding it.

Gil

Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gdgerland
The problem is most or all of the visors I have seen were designed for two piece windshields. The center support is braced to the divider of the windshield. Take a look at Julie's Cools album. She did a great job of adapting one to her truck. Unfortunately she had to fab a center support which is attached to the roof of her truck. That being said, she did a great job of hiding it.

Gil
THANKS GIL!!!!!

Wow Captain, it seems like we have a lot in common to talk about today.

There were a couple posts a number of months ago about these and I'll find them and post them here.

My dad actually made the bracket and mounted the visor before I had the truck. So if the post pictures look familiar from two different posters, that's why.

Most of the sunvisors were made by Fulton as an aftermarket item. Ford also made sunvisors for their cars, but I don't think they made any for the trucks - I could be wrong, Bill (Number Dummy would know). I have seen a couple advertised on E-bay as being for 48-52 Ford F1. NOS they started at $1000.

The earlier versions were made in pieces and were adjustable in width and angle of the chevron with bolts holding it together under the center panel. You will find that even on the shortest setting, these visors will be too wide for your Bonus Built. Most, if not all are made of aluminum.

Some (the 52-54 car visors) were one piece steel. They too are way to wide and would need to be cut and rewelded.

Also, the earlier models tended to be more chevron shapped to follow the contour of the split windsheilds on the earlier cars. The later (52+) "Deluxe" visors tended to be more flat across the front and look 1000 times better on the Bonus Built, but are VERY difficult to find.

Of Course I have pictures of my center bracket. The mounting on the visors is extremely important. Being aluminum, they were light and would easily be consumed by airflow at high speed (over 45) and actually tear off the vehicle and become airborne if not RIGIDLY mounted and angled properly.

There are a couple different ways the sides were mounted as well. Most have an expanding "Grasshopper leg" type of bracket on the earlier models that sllowed for changing the angle of the visor. Some, have the center mount clamps like mine. Both this and the grasshopper leg brackets will mount to the drip rail with sheet metal screws. Alot of the later visors had the sides curled to mount on directly without side brackets. Most of the ones like this I see today are riveted to the top or the drip rail. I'm not crazy about that because of the rust problems it presents in the drip rail.

Here are the posts I chatted about earlier. If you have any questions, you can always send me a PM and I will take pictures or send you a write up on my install.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...r-1948-f1.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...sun-visor.html

You can normally find the visors for sale on e-bay for $150-$300 depending on the type and condition. Swap meet prices are averaging from $350-$700.

Good luck

Old 02-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have fond memories of the visor my Dad put on his 52 Ford sedan flying off at highway speeds. We laughed, he didn't.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 PM
CAPTAIN
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Julie, I appreciate the info.

I am curious to know how wide yours is now, think you could measure it for me?

Oh, and I've heard the term "Bonus Built" quite a bit. I'm assuming it's referring to the 48-52 trucks, but what is the real meaning. Why are they "Bonus Built?"

Check your PM too!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
HI Captain,

"Bonus Built" was a term thought up by the new Ford Truck Marketing team in 1948 to try and improve truck sales (against Chebby) based on the Extra features and value of Ford Trucks.

You're right, it's generally applied to F-series from 1948 to 1952. The 53 to 56s ARE the F-100s as those were the first years the designators were changed (F1 to F-100, etc).

I'll measure my visor for you. And since my cab is exactly the same as yours (except th edash and back window), th evisor is exactly as wide as youcab from drip rail to drip rail.... That' swon't help you in searching for a visor the right width - you won't find one. I do know this: I had to cut it 6 inches shorter than it was when I bought it to make it fit, and it was the smallest one available -hint hint.

I've seen one that the guy said was NOS Fulton for 48-52 Ford Trucks....Not sure if that was accurate. He wanted $1000 opening bid on e-bay with a $1500 "buy it now" price, and it was gone in 20 minutes - hope it fit - I'm scepticle.