Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excursionomic Stimulus Plan (aka: convincing the wife) Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:36 AM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excursionomic Stimulus Plan (aka: convincing the wife) Opinions?

OK - long story - rant of sorts...

I joined this forum last October in search of info on diesel EX's. I had just returned from a road trip to California, crammed in a crewcab with 4 other people. Besides that, I have always wanted an X, since there is nothing else like it and since I had a 99 F250 SD PSD years ago that i now miss...

So, since October I've been looking and researching and all the while trying to convince the wife.

A little side note: She drives a 04 Expy. Back in Sept. we were looking to replace it, hoping to find a 07 or 08 Expy EL to give us some more room and the 3v 5.4L. I even had her test drive a used X PSD, but she couldnt get over the fact that it would have more miles and less "creature comforts" than her existing ride. There were no great deals to be found at the time on an EL, especially with a trade so we decided to hold off a year or so. (It bears noting that if we HAD found an Expy EL, we would have spent $10K to $20K + her trade to get it and she was OK with that...)

Fast forward to now-ish... I've been scouring ebay, cars.com, autotrader, craigslist and had friends watching the local auctions. I've drove a few and found no less than 6 or 7 that would have fit my needs (wishlist) and my budget. But each time she has shot it down and it seems there is no way of convincing her that we shoud by an X, outright. (BTW, I've been looking in the $9K to $16K range - see what I'm getting at here?

One more bit of info before i wear y'all out with my ranting... I don't currently own a personal vehicle. I have a company truck that I drive, but it is not technically "mine". And of course therefore I cannot personalize it in any way, nor can i use it for personal trips, etc. Back in 2003 or so, I sold my own truck (not the 99 SD PSD, actually it was a 99 Lightning) for $19,000. and never replaced it. It was the responsible thing to do as we had our first kid on the way and the Lightning was not much for family friendly. But she seems to think (or has become comfortable with the fact) that since I have the work truck to drive that I dont need anything else, regard less of price, regardless of what I used to have, etc. I have even offered to sell some of my other toys, but she told me not to!!!

OK, I've wasted enough of everyones time... and of course this is just my side of the story, but what do you all think? Am I halfway right in wanting an X for myself or am I outta my mind? What else can I do here? Help???

aaaaaahhhh, I feel better, thanks! rant over...

BTW, i love this forum!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I recently bought my X after making 2 trips to CA from CO in our Audi allroad which was recently totaled the day I bought my X by a 16 year old kid with a license for 2 days... anyway the allroad is an awesome ride but we decided it is just too cramped for regular long trips with 2 kids in the car seats.. We end up always needing to bring back more than we leave with.... Thanks to no Trader Joe's in Colorado, and both grandparents in CA..... No we will have a 3rd seat so one can sleep while the other drives... it works best when we drive overnight and the kids are sleeping! Just convince her of the fack that you will always have enough room with an X.. even if you load stuff on the roof rack the X won't flinch due to the added wind resistance like many smaller vehicles would.... Get a Limited, esp a later model and you should have plenty of creature comforts...

Old 02-11-2009, 11:37 AM
howler4x4
More Turbo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>I sold my own truck ... for $19,000. and never replaced it.

You deserve your own, and if it's less than that 19k you're not using 'family' funds, just your own. Of course it depends on how you all view family finances.

If reason doesn't work, bring her to a Harley dealership, just to look around...

If that doesn't work, look for a rice-rocket dealership, one with side cars and her-size rain gear.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
mommadiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now is good tome to buy an X there are some good deals out there. In terms of creature comforts even if you get an Eddie Bauer or a limited it has the good base creature comforts. If you buy the vehicle outright its yours and everything is customizable. Ask her what she wants exactley, you can most likely put it in for her or change it out. Also did you mention how hot she looks behind the wheel of an X?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
ltbrkm3
Freshman User
howler4x4,
I used to do that when it was time for a new track car!! The old "well....I guess I'll just get a motorcycle then" works like a charm! At least it did untill last year when she called my bluff and gave me permission to buy a bike! They are smart though and she knew I would wait untill the economy got better so...I still have not bought a bike.
Scott

Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
dockrocker
Senior User
I'm in somewhat of the same boat. I really want one and have for some time. However, our Dear Leader and Kommissar Obama has not yet spread someone's wealth my way, so I have to hold off. Hopefully soon, though...

Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by dockrocker
I'm in somewhat of the same boat. I really want one and have for some time. However, our Dear Leader and Kommissar Obama has not yet spread someone's wealth my way, so I have to hold off. Hopefully soon, though...
My wife wants a new car, I'm holding out for that $3000 government incentive to buy a vehicle....

Old 02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Thanks for the replies... see I knew I was in the right!! haha! Of course I'm preaching to the choir here.

soutthpaw, I'm definitely looking LTD... but not for her, it's for me. She is keeping the Expy at this point. It's not worth anything on trade and I want the X for myself! Just spied one on CL in denver... decent price on a 01, black ltd, 98K

mommadiesel, see above... its for me now! She absolutely doesn't want an X. But I do agree, flattery helps! And I am also trying to convince her that it is a good time to buy one, prices are down on big vehicles - buy low, sell high... simple excursionomics, right?

Love the bike suggestions... ha! raingear!
thanks all...

Old 02-11-2009, 07:25 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Yeah that Black one looks like a good deal.... esp if you can negotiate the price a little... say $12k. Did ya go look at it yet....

Old 02-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The thing to watch about the 2001 is the bad diode in the tranny. Keep that in mind.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Big Sky
The thing to watch about the 2001 is the bad diode in the tranny. Keep that in mind.
Good Point, the dates you do not want are TRANSMISSION BUILD DATES BETWEEN 7/27/2000 AND 3/23/2001 ONLY. here is the link to the Full TSB for the diode issue
https://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fulltext/show_article.php?tsb=01-13-5

here is a picture of the Transmission ID tag located on the driver side of the tranny just in front of the transfer case above the front driveshaft

The date code is the 4 digits after the letters BD (Build Date) for my picture here, 1 is for the year (2001), F is the month (6th letter of alphabet = 6 month of the year{June}. the last 2 digits(12) are the day it was built,
June 12, 2001... So my tranny does not have the mechanical diode...

Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

No, I havent looked at it, and probably won't get to since im heading out of town on Saturday for a week. Probably will end up being another one that I missed out on.

Thanks for the info on the diode. I have heard about that issuse but hadn't looked into it closely. Now i got the info I need right in my own thread... did I mention I love this forum! thanks again

Old 02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

On a good note... I will be renting an Excursion for the week that I am gone. Maybe a week in the land yacht will help the wife appreciate it a bit. We will have 7 people and tons of luggage. It was the Ex or a 12 pass. van... no contest IMO!

Maybe thats a bad thing afterall... I'm just gonna want one even more when I return.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
V X
Senior User
We have an X because my wife insisted, God is she smart and I'm so lucky.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Well this stimulus is talking about allowing the sales tax and interest from Nov 2008 to dec 2009 to be deductible... cool bought my X last month...... there is another good reason to use on the wife

Quick Reply: Excursionomic Stimulus Plan (aka: convincing the wife) Opinions?