Sponsored by: Moser

Max lift on a '79 straight axle ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:54 PM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max lift on a '79 straight axle ?

I want to run 38's, and I want to cab to be even with the top of the tires. Does this mean massive customizing ? I've seen 4" lift's, but nothing more for the `73-`79's. I'm also hoping it will ride decent, never going to put any weight in/on it, except towing my jet boat. I don't want to cut the wheel wells, and prefer not to install a body lift.

I'm building my 1`79 4X4 C/C to match my `79 shorty (but want bigger tires). Here's a pic of my 'little truck'....

Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
mudder460
Posting Guru
I have found a 9" lift at JBG for under $1000. I plan on using that lift to run 38's as well. I haven't been able to find anything bigger without it being custom made.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
I just proof read my post (a little late..lol), I want to lift my `79 F-250 CrewCab 4X4 to accept 38's.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure you replace your stock springs. a lot of the time the springs are so shaggy by 30 years that the new springs make it look like you got a leveling kit.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 PM
mudder460
Posting Guru
I was wndering if it was a f250. I am sorry, don't know where to get a lift for that one. The only thing I could suggest is to go to s spring shop and get some custom springs made. I must say, your 79 f150 looks great, are those 36" tires?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
6" is enough to clear 38's on a '79 f250.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Ronzi
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
This is my truck with a 6 inch lift on 38's

Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Ronzi
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mudder460
I have found a 9" lift at JBG for under $1000. I plan on using that lift to run 38's as well. I haven't been able to find anything bigger without it being custom made.

Could you post a link or give a part number for this lift? Ive searched JBG's site and cant find it. Thanks
Edit: Nevermind. I see you have an f150

Old 02-10-2009, 12:53 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You are getting in to the area of custom lifts and some custom steering is going to come into play. You will have front driveshaft issues and you will run into some steering dilemas. additionall lift will require x-over steering.
Now, you can have the springs made, or you can install an off the shelf Super Duty front spring. Many of these are over 10 inches and avalable new.

Here is an example of an 8" lift using a BDS 11 leaf super duty front spring. This has ample room for 40's, and flexes quite well. The ride is better than one might expect.
I would think that clearing smaller 38's with the clearance that your are lookinf for, would work with this amount of lift.

Here is my other truck with the same springs and 44" tires. This orange one uses different spring hangers to achieve a little more clearance:

Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 PM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
Mudder460, nope baby 33 swampers.

75F350, first off bad *** looking trucks !!! Thanks for reponsding. Your using Super Duty springs from what year ? How much lift do they have. I was thinking of that very thing, I know they make big kits for the 99-03 S/D's, and those trucks ride very nice for a leaf striaght axle. I believe your right, what ever lift you have will allow the truck body to sit at the top fo the tires.

I know about the driveline issues, and thought there might be some steering problems. Would you mind sharing what all you did (and parts if possible) to get the S/D springs to work ?

Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
For your 79 truck there are a couple of ways to go. You can just install the springs by grinding the bushings slightly to get them to fit in the ever so slightly narrower hangers. You can then drill the spring hanger hole larger to accomodate the larger 18mm Bolt that you will have to use.
I chose to go a step further, and did not want anything metric, so I modified the bushiing and the hanger to accomodate a 3/4" fastener. Yeah, thats big.
Next thing is to modify the shackles to accomodate the different sized bolt that again is reguired for this. Again, I opted to use a Poly bushing to replace my original ford units, and made a larger steel insert / bushing to accomodate larger 9/16" bolts. I also replaced the spring end bushings on the red truck, and used a johnny joint on the orange one.
This is really about it. You can use any 54" front SD spring. This will also help with a better shackle angle and will ride much better.
This is also a good time to perform your u-bolt flip, though your existing design will still work.
This is an easy alternative to buying expensive springs.
For the rear, I used 64" long chebby springs, so I cant help you there to much, but a shackle flip and a moderate spring should allow you to even things out a little.

You will also have to upgrade to crossover steering.

99-04 super duty springs will work just fine for the front. You should probably stay right around the 8" mark.
The red truck has 8" springs with the military wrap leaf and one lower leaf removed.
Was too tall with all of the leafs installed.

Thank you for the comments about my junky old trucks.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
MANY MANY thanks for the info !!! The 54" SD spring located the axle correctly in the wheel well ? What did you do for steering ? I was wondering of a drop pitman arm and a steering knuckle raiser upper thingy (I don't know what the part is called and thought peeps may laugh at that desrciption) would work ???

What did you do for your steering ?

P.S. If you want to throw away you "junk", call me !!!!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
75F350, what did you dent the fenders of your red truck on. this is the first time I've noticed it.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:21 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DaytonaTunnel
MANY MANY thanks for the info !!! The 54" SD spring located the axle correctly in the wheel well ? What did you do for steering ? I was wondering of a drop pitman arm and a steering knuckle raiser upper thingy (I don't know what the part is called and thought peeps may laugh at that desrciption) would work ???

P.S. If you want to throw away you "junk", call me !!!!!!

Right on man, no worries. BTW, I noticed your user name and you boat. I dig it. I am also an Eliminator man. Though mine is just anything like yours, but my orange truck also has a 557.

Lots of fun. Yes, as you can see from the red truck, the wheel is located just about perfect, though I am working on moving the axle foward about an inch or so. Maybe even a little more. These springs flex so much that the axle moves back a long way when the spring flattens out and at full stuff the tire hits the fender. I drive on may technical trails, and rocks, so I do not run any bumpstops in an attempt to gain as much travel as possible, but this sacrifices the fenders. Heavy wheeling takes its toll.
Also, I had to make my own shock mounts because the stock shock mounting points were too close together and would not permit enough articulation.

And the steering. Again, this is a must. You so not want to keep the push pull steering design, and you do not want to use a block under the steering arm combined with other steering corrections. This is just asking for problems.
You just need to bit the bullet and upgrade the steering entrirely.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 PM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
Too what ?

Quick Reply: Max lift on a '79 straight axle ?