1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

All you Jag suspension guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Mr. N
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All you Jag suspension guys

I bought my '53 F-100 about 2 years ago and have decided that this summer is the summer I'm going to get started on it.

I am looking at a complete frame off rebuild and the frame seems like the logical place to start. I am looking for a driver not a show Queen. This is my first attempt at a project of this magnitude. I would like IFS and like the thought of possibly IRS. After going over and over the many many options there are to accomplish this I keep coming back to the Jag step. But before I take the plunge I would like to here from those of you with a truck on the road with this set-up.
I am looking at a 1991 XJ6 as the donor.

1 - Does your truck ride and handle well?
2 - Does it feel like a soft cadilac or a stiff sports car?
3 - Have you had any problems getting parts?
4 - How much did it cost you to rebuild the IFS? IRS? To go from donor parts to road worthy?
5 - Can the xj6 IFS handle the weight of a 351W?
6 - If you had it to do all over again we you do anything different?

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom and advice.

P.S. Any install pictures are always great especially on a '53-'56 frame.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:33 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

I don't beleive a 1991 xj6 is what you want. You need a series III, which I think was up to 1987 or so. The xjs, which used the same chassis was made up to 1990, IIRC. I can't comment on the ride and handling as my truck isn't done yet. I only used the IFS on my F1. Parts are no problem, any import auto parts store can get what you need. I ebayed most of my parts, purchased kits to save money, and had good luck with one exception. Jag Graveyard was a disaster to deal with. I'll spare the details, but I don't recommend them. I don't remember what the parts cost, but it wasn't out of line. Remember, jags are well supported and have some loyal owners, but some vendors think they can charge extra for that. Shop and compare. I did a complete rebuild, bushings, bearings, ball joints, and brakes. Don't tighten the fulcrum shaft (lower control arm pivot) until you've got weight on it. A 351 is no problem, it weighs less than the twin cam six. On another F1, I'd do it the same, the 53 frame is wider, you may just have to weld it in, rather than rubber mount like I did. Post any questions you have on this, several of us have done it.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I am going to say "ditto" to all of rhopper's responses to your questions. You or we need to get David Holmes, "holmsey" to post up some of his build pictures and give you his driving impressions for his 55 with XJ Jag suspension. His 55 is a great truck. If he does not see this thread after a few days, I would PM him and ask him to post his driving impressions on this thread. Via email we discussed driving impressions (all real good) but it should really come from him. He is a Brit and he did his own work. He had a great website of his complete build but needed to take down the website.
I spent less than $500 on a full rebuild of my front end including brakes. I got my IFS really cheap a number of years ago such that my total cost is under $600.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Holmsey
Senior User
Hi Guys, I have done a few thousand miles in my 55 F100.

You ask how it drives, on the highway it is superb, very quiet and smooth, not pushed it real hard, but steering is smooth and effortless, with no wander at 100mph + , no worries with it at all.

It doesn't drive over bad bumps or holes in small roads perfectly like a Caddy or a new Jag does. But it sure holds it own against most cars I have driven. It may just need a bit more accurate tracking? but on bad bumps I can feel a shudder down the chassis, not bad just you know you are in a truck, when it does that. (I have tightened up my adjustable shocks a couple of notches stiffer and it has improved it greatly)

Taken quite a few people out in it, who only drive new modern cars and they have all remarked on how nice its ride quality is, so maybe just me being picky.

I can put it into corners faster than you would think a 1955 Truck should. I am sure the truck will go round a lot faster to, it self corrects once on the straight which is very satisfying.

I am very pleased with it and would recommend it, if you want IFS. Not sure on any of the other issues for parts etc as different here in the UK, mind you at $1.30 - £1 you could get most parts as cheap over here now I guess. I rebuilt mine but cant remember how much it cost.

I managed to fit mine with original rubber mounts you just have to narrow a small part of your chassis by 1inch.

I have put my garage scene pages back on my web site now (long story why I took them off to do with UK laws and modifying cars)... be warned there's a few ;o) UK Hot Rods: News, tech, chat, email group for hot rods, street rods and kustoms

Or see a video of it when I got it first on the road
YouTube - Holmsey's F100 (My mate took the video without warning so I was a bit flustered what to say, thats my excuse and I am sticking to it) ;o)

I must add I am no expert nor a professional this is my first project and I am sure there are other and better ways of doing the things I have done on mine.... Been to busy driving it so not done the final page yet.
You guys have given me the push to get it back on site and do that final page... Cheers and Best wishes to you all.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:20 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Holmsey, Thanks for the update! Unfortunately a number of us in the US are building our trucks with at least the Jag IFS but we really needed to hear how the handling is. Personally I drove a 56 with the Volare IFS many years ago and was not what I was looking for and thus went the Jag route.

Those of you even considering a Jag in a 53 and up chassis should dig into Dave's website (link below) and should save it as a favorite. He does a great job of documenting his entire build including both the Jag IFS and IRS.
Once again, Thank you Dave!

UK Hot Rods: News, tech, chat, email group for hot rods, street rods and kustoms

Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Neat video, but I could not access web site. Maybe I did it wrong.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got it, thanks Holmesly. Great truck once again. Joe

Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Mr N. Just one further comment. The Jag IFS and 351W I think is a decent fit but I think that you need the rear sump oil pickup/pan and the rear dump log type exhaust manifold. Others know better but is it a Bronco pan? It seems to me that others from England or down under have done this combo. I just checked I thought it was "aussie 53" but he used a 351C

Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Yes, the rear sump oil pan (Ford called it a center sump???) and matching oil pump was originally produced for the Bronco, and I believe it is still available from FoMoCo parts and can often be found on ebay.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Holmsey
Senior User
I stuck with the front sump, just mounted it higher, its a bit of a pain to change the oil, though but not impossible.

I would go with the V12 road springs, mine are the XJ6 ones and a tad soft, but I now have adjustable shox and they work well. Mine is a 302 with ally heads, inlet, water pump, radiator and very light T5 Trans...

You asked if hard like a sports car or soft like a caddy. I would say in between, Just a nice modern feel that more than tame's the Brute of an F100 chassis.

Don't think there is anything I would of done different, if I was doing it again... Maybe rubber mounted the rear suspension, but the front is how I would do it again..... well maybe ;o) I would try and cut the subframe so it fit the chassis not the other way round as I did, but that's all. Good Luck.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:56 AM
scrape
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bang for buck there great, drives like a late f truck when still using parallel leafs and a fairly level ride height. bronco sump, but i still modify the front to sit the motor lower
cya
gary

Old 02-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Mr. N
Junior User
Thanks guys this is what I was looking for. I thought the gen III xj6's went through 1992. I may be wrong.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:12 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Mr. N
Thanks guys this is what I was looking for. I thought the gen III xj6's went through 1992. I may be wrong.
The gen 3 xj6 and 12's went thru early 1987 however the XJS continued the same IFS later (1990?). No one that I know of has done the later XJ6 IFS. You could be the first on your block!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:13 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Mr. N I am still in the building stage but used a 80 XJ6 IFS and a Mark VIII IRS. I am running a 351M out of a Bronco. I can't help you with most of your questions but I have a number of Pics in my gallery on the installs.

46 Ford Tudor - Street Rod
48 Ford F1 - As dark as it gets

Old 02-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Mr. N
Junior User
Anouther Question

Ok so since the '91 isn't what I'm looking for, and I need to start searching again, I have anouther question for you all.

I know that this may be a real newbie question but I'm a real newbie.

With that said my truck currently has a 351W with an FMX tranny.

I am thinking of keeping the 351W or maybe going to a fuel injected 4.6L DOHC. Either way I would like to replace the FMX with an AOD for best fuel economy. Again the end result is a driver that I can actually afford to drive. I'm not looking for a draggster. But I would like it to have some go.
So my question is when looking for a good donor Jag what kind of gear ratio should I be looking for. Or are the parts readily available to change to rear end.
I understand alitttle about gear ratios but still am not sure what I should be looking for to get the type of performance I want.
Please be kind I'm new at this.

Thanks

Quick Reply: All you Jag suspension guys