N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Grrr...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 12:37 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr...

I pulled my tractor apart yesterday to get after the leaking rearmain seal and replace the clutch, I took Dans advice when he was here awhile back and pulled the motor...I left the frontend, radiator/etc on it and used the front axle and tires for part of the engine stand to do the R and R.

I'd left the forklift with the stinger on it, hanging over the motor while I was taking things apart-just for some added safety in case the back of the motor slipped off the blocks I stacked up.

It started getting foggy and cold towards the evning, so I called it a day and went in.

Went out this morning to get a fresh look at things and make a parts-needed list and immediately realized I screwed up...I never backed the forklift out of the way.

the ram leaked down and the stinger went squarely down on top of the radiator cap and crushed in the radiator.

Hoepfully it won't leak, but I'll have to cut a larger hole in the hood now the the neck is tweaked over to one side.

So what are you planning to break this weekend?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:23 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Well.. remember all the wrestling you and Dan did getting the heater box back into my cab? The fan control was not working on it because I needed a new little part that goes on the back side of the box. I was trying to take off the last little screw which was in a very tight place and had a socket on the end of the extension to reach it. I then lost my grip on the extension and it and the socket fell into the heater box. I tried fishing it out for 20 minutes with a magnet, but no luck.

So guess what... I removed the #%***ng heater box, opened it up, retrieved the tools, put the part on, sealed it up. That was the easy part. I then spent the next half hour wrestling with it to get the antifreeze pipes through the firewall again and get the mounting bolts lined up. After all that fighting and hooking up the hoses, now I have a driveway with a lot of antifreeze spilled on it. I laid out some chemical spill pads and locked the dogs in the house. After lunch I will move the truck and clean up my spill. At least the heater works fan works now.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:51 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
After all the wrangling it took to put that box in, I think I'd have just left the socket inside

Old 01-31-2009, 06:59 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
After all the wrangling it took to put that box in, I think I'd have just left the socket inside
I thought about that, but it could have damaged the fan. Besides, that was my favorite 5/16 socket. I am famous for dropping parts into places like that. A few years ago, I dropped a washer into the distributer hole in my engine. Dan and I had to remove the oil pan to get it out.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Haven't broken anything lately only because I have not worked on my truck in months. However, on my next day off, I will be replacing the heater core in the Ranger, and possibly doing some trouble shooting on why it only runs for a minute. Also going to be replacing the driver's side mirror on the Dodge as it is hanging by its electrical wires.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tipped over my land ladys Kubota tractor this afternoon. Was moving an axle over soft ground, slight angle (say 8*) front tire started sinking, I panicked and went to jump off the tractor. During my panic to jump, I failed to pull the fuel shut off, my foot got wedged into the throttle linkage (WOT) and when I took my foot off of the brake, it jumped back into gear and started moving while it was tipping... I could have just dropped the bucket.... (DUH!) LUCKY FOR ME, my buddy was standing right there, a big strong *****, he just pushed on the rollbar while it was tipping, and righted it before it went too far....

Old 02-06-2009, 07:32 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I've almost leaned mine over a few times since I've had the backhoe off, got a lot better since I put water in the tires, but have to be careful when the bucket is full regardless.

Least I got most of my parts today, new clutch disc and pressure plate, TO bearing and rearmain seal...seems they forgot to send the darned pilot bearing, so I'll have to wait till Tuesday before I get to put uit all together.