Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Disabling traction control

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:18 PM
JAC4X4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check this post from a week or so ago, this guy seems to think it works as advertized

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-disabled.html

Old 02-15-2009, 09:35 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by JAC4X4
check this post from a week or so ago, this guy seems to think it works as advertized

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-disabled.html

Yeah, that was my post. I tried it again yesterday in some snow (this time in Indiana) and got the same result. I had it in 2HI, pressed the button, and mashed the go pedal to the floor. Within one second I was shooting rooster tails and flirting with the rev limiter soon thereafter. I continued to ride that out for about 100 feet before letting off. The light in the message center flashed, but it never cut power. I am not sure why others are having issues diabling it.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:17 PM
pkvir
Senior User
Originally Posted by cpdorroh
Yeah, that was my post. I tried it again yesterday in some snow (this time in Indiana) and got the same result. I had it in 2HI, pressed the button, and mashed the go pedal to the floor. Within one second I was shooting rooster tails and flirting with the rev limiter soon thereafter. I continued to ride that out for about 100 feet before letting off. The light in the message center flashed, but it never cut power. I am not sure why others are having issues diabling it.
Sounds like you got a GOOD ONE. I have a 2 wheel drive, but I hope it disables the TC. I live in North Texas, so it may be next year (or the next) till I find out.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:12 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
That sounds much better...

Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 AM
johnh2000
Junior User
The traction control should be possible to disable on any vehicle- esp. a truck

Last edited by johnh2000; 02-16-2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by johnh2000
The traction control should be possible to disable on any vehicle- esp. a truck
I concur. Unfortunately, either 70%+- of the 09 owners who have discussed it on here, and 2 other threads can't figure out the button, or it ain't working as advertised? I specifically stopped (almost getting my @ss stuck) and asked the guy stuck on the FSR, and it didn't do anything for him.

I went to the dealership and pushed the button on one. It appeared to work, but I didn't get it out in the snow.

I think the trucks are pretty, and would love to have one. (platinum, please) I'm not ******* on it; I'm just trying to figure it out.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Saleenguy
Postmaster

I will take another one out for a test drive in the next week and try it.

I hope the demo works as good as yours does.
I will report back my findings.

Glad yours actually disables it completely, as it should.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:35 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
After my original post over a week ago, I saw on here where some people still seemed to be having issues disabling it. I was in northern Indiana this past weekend, and it snowed friday night, so saturday morning I decided to try it out one more time to make sure I got the same results. I did. I even tried power braking it a little to see if T/C would kick in then, but it didn't. I wonder if maybe since the light in the message center flashes when you spin even with T/C off, some people are tricking themselves into thinking it isn't really off.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:26 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
After my original post over a week ago, I saw on here where some people still seemed to be having issues disabling it. I was in northern Indiana this past weekend, and it snowed friday night, so saturday morning I decided to try it out one more time to make sure I got the same results. I did. I even tried power braking it a little to see if T/C would kick in then, but it didn't. I wonder if maybe since the light in the message center flashes when you spin even with T/C off, some people are tricking themselves into thinking it isn't really off.
That's possible...If that's the case, ATTENTION: If you bought a 2009 F150 and your traction control DOES NOT work, feel free to drop off your Platinum, King Ranch, or Lariat models to me, and I will give you My 2008 Lariat with 650 miles on it for an even trade.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 PM
GF7PE
New User
As many of you will know, up here in the north east we get a decent amount of snow. Monday night we got about 2" of new snow. Tuesday morning I tried it again. I pushed the button and the light came on. I drove normally for a couple hundred feet and tires would break loose but if you give it any more gas once the tires are spinning it cuts out to the point that you can see it on the tach. Its not nearly as bad as with the tc on but it does cut out. When I reached the end of the road I stopped and turned it back on then held the button in for 5 seconds or so till the light on the dash was flashing. Tried the same thing again and it cut out. It just started snowing and its coming down fast. I am going to give it a few minutes and try again. There is a horse arena a few miles away with really soft sand. I am going to try it there.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:14 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by GF7PE
As many of you will know, up here in the north east we get a decent amount of snow. Monday night we got about 2" of new snow. Tuesday morning I tried it again. I pushed the button and the light came on. I drove normally for a couple hundred feet and tires would break loose but if you give it any more gas once the tires are spinning it cuts out to the point that you can see it on the tach. Its not nearly as bad as with the tc on but it does cut out. When I reached the end of the road I stopped and turned it back on then held the button in for 5 seconds or so till the light on the dash was flashing. Tried the same thing again and it cut out. It just started snowing and its coming down fast. I am going to give it a few minutes and try again. There is a horse arena a few miles away with really soft sand. I am going to try it there.
Here is a possible suggestion... If you repeatedly hit the Setup button on the dash, it will eventually bring up the Trailer Sway Control where you can deactivate it. Try turning that off too and see if it makes a difference. Also, how is your truck configured.... Maybe it is different for different models? Or maybe my T/C is 'broke'. Oh well, if it is 'broke', fine by me. I'll make sure nobody 'fixes' it.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 PM
GF7PE
New User
Here is a possible suggestion... If you repeatedly hit the Setup button on the dash, it will eventually bring up the Trailer Sway Control where you can deactivate it. Try turning that off too and see if it makes a difference. Also, how is your truck configured.... Maybe it is different for different models? Or maybe my T/C is 'broke'. Oh well, if it is 'broke', fine by me. I'll make sure nobody 'fixes' it.
Mine is a XLT 4.6L scab 4x4 and does not have the trailer package

I just got back from the lot I mentioned. When the tc is off in the soft sand with an inch of snow the rpms wont go over 2600 and the speedo wont go over 25 no matter how much gas you give it. Maybe mine is broken.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by GF7PE
Mine is a XLT 4.6L scab 4x4 and does not have the trailer package

I just got back from the lot I mentioned. When the tc is off in the soft sand with an inch of snow the rpms wont go over 2600 and the speedo wont go over 25 no matter how much gas you give it. Maybe mine is broken.

Whoa... Mine is definitely different than that, and I guess I can't offer a good explanation why. However, I was under the impression that all new '09 F-150's came with Trailer Sway Control (part of their quest for the best safety ratings), even if they don't have the trailer tow package. Guess not. Like I said earlier... on slick surfaces, I can hit the rev limiter (5500 rpm) and stay there if I push the T/C button. Apparently not every truck responds that way.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Outlawford
Freshman User
Any fixes for this yet?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 AM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine works just fine. i had it off in some mud a few weeks ago and it cut my power, so i pressed the little button and bam. rooster tails out the back. then i tried it in 4hi, first time with it on, it would cut power when one of the tires spun faster than the other, then i turned it off and got all 4 tires spinning the speed i wanted. but in 4low, everything is turned off automatically. i have pulled people out using 4low spinning the tires pretty good and it never shut me down.

Quick Reply: Disabling traction control