1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 F2, trying to get it running

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 PM
1=2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1952 F2, trying to get it running

I'm new here obviously. My friends had an old F2 sitting in their driveway, but don't know anything about cars, so they gave me this truck. Apparently it ran before it was parked, but right now, I am having absolutely no luck getting it to do anything.

I just installed a new battery to see what it would do, and all it did was crank the engine. I checked for spark, but there was none, so I cleaned off the contacts. Haven't tested it yet.

Then, I can not get this truck to suck in fuel for anything. I first put in 4 gallons from a lawn mower gas can and added all those little additives (lead substitute, ISO Heat, and Gas treatment). I first tried cranking the engine with the gas pedal floored to get it primed, but nothing happened. I checked the little glass reservoir that is on the fuel pump, but no fuel was in it. So, I filled it up with a little gas, but nothing. Then, I tried seeing if the fuel line was blocked, but it wasn't. So, I fed compressed air (2-3 psi) through the fuel hose into the tank but since the gas cap doesn't seal very well, the air just came out of the filler area. No matter what I seem to do, I can't get the fuel pump primed.

I am beginning to suspect that the fuel pump is dead (even though I don't quite understand how a mechanical pump doesn't work), because correct me if I am wrong, but the cranking of the engine should prime the pump and carb. I've cranked the engine so much, but to no avail. Now the battery is dead.

Anyway, if anyone can help me with some starting hints or little tricks to overcome these problems, the help would be greatly appreciated. This is my only vehicle, and it doesn't run. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
If we knew what engine you have in it, that would be a good help. I started out by replacing the coil, condensor, cap, and rotor. The fuel pump might need to be rebuilt if it has been sitting for a long time. I had mine rebuilt due to the same problem you had. It was the fuel pump. Some people say give it a shot of starting fluid to see if it is firing, most people say not to do this. The lobe on the cam could be worn or the end on the fuel pump may be worn and not allowing it to work properly. I would suggest pulling the fuel pump off and seeing if it ok.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:53 PM
CAMiniTruck
Junior User
Pumps - even mechanical ones - go bad. I've replaced my fair share.

You should have gotten the truck to fire up with the fuel bowls filled on the carb(s).

Couple quick suggestions:
1) Check to make sure you're getting spark at the spark plugs. You can do this by simply removing a spark plug wire from the spark plug and holding it next to the block while someone cranks the engine over. The spark should arc from the wire to the block. If you get nothing, you're probably not getting spark. You may hear, rather than see, the spark - your best bet is to do it in the evening, so you can hear AND see the spark.

2) If you are getting spark, it sounds like you've got 'gunk' in your carbs (meaning your jets are probably clogged). Gasoline will evaporate over time, and leave a nasty residue on everything. You can clean this off by removing, disassembling, dipping, and rebuilding the carbs. Alternately, fill the fuel bowls with some Everclear (the 180-proof pure grain alcohol), let sit a few minutes, then try starting. I use this trick alot for old cars/trucks/tractors that have been parked a while running again.

If the vehicle has an autotragic transmission, let it idle in park or neutral for a while once it's running, but before you try and move it. This allows you to 're-wet' the clutch packs and helps get an old transmission back on the road with a minimum of unpleasantness.

Oh, and plan to replace all the fluids. Transmission fluid and filter, engine oil and filter, coolant, the whole nine yards.

Post the truck and more information (engine, etc) and you'll probably get much better, more detailed advice. If you post your location, you can probably find a few users here bribable with a 6-pack or three to come over and poke at your truck until something comes of it (eg, it either lights itself on fire or starts running).

Old 01-28-2009, 06:03 PM
1=2
New User
In regards to the engine, it's a 239 V8 flathead. I believe it's the original, and it may have had a rebuild in it's life.

The tranmission's a 4 spd manual, I am not sure if it's synchronized.

I'll try the carb trick, the truck has sat for a long time, and I did clean a bunch of junk out of the "viewing" glass on the filter. I am also prone to thinking it's the fuel pump as well, because everything else seems to checkout.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:12 PM
CAMiniTruck
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1=2
Then, I can not get this truck to suck in fuel for anything. I first put in 4 gallons from a lawn mower gas can and added all those little additives (lead substitute, ISO Heat, and Gas treatment).
Hey, just to ask - was the fuel you put in normal gasoline, or was it for a 2-stroke mower (eg, did it have engine oil added)?

Old 01-28-2009, 06:16 PM
CAMiniTruck
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1=2
In regards to the engine, it's a 239 V8 flathead. I believe it's the original, and it may have had a rebuild in it's life.

The tranmission's a 4 spd manual, I am not sure if it's synchronized.

I'll try the carb trick, the truck has sat for a long time, and I did clean a bunch of junk out of the "viewing" glass on the filter. I am also prone to thinking it's the fuel pump as well, because everything else seems to checkout.
You may well have a dead pump, but if you put fuel in the carb bowls and it still didn't start, you have a carburetor problem too (assuming you have spark). The fuel pump is only needed to refill the carbs once the engine is running.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM
1=2
New User
The mower's fuel was oilless, It's a 4 stroke mower.

I tried starter fluid earlier, but nothing happened, no blip or nothing. I checked for spark and it had none. That's when I cleaned off the wires (which were covered with junk), I still haven't tested it yet for spark again.

I haven't tried putting fuel into the carb bowls themselves, but I assume because the engine didn't fire with starting fluid, then it's probably got a junked up carburetor as well.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM
CAMiniTruck
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1=2
The mower's fuel was oilless, It's a 4 stroke mower.

I tried starter fluid earlier, but nothing happened, no blip or nothing. I checked for spark and it had none. That's when I cleaned off the wires (which were covered with junk), I still haven't tested it yet for spark again.

I haven't tried putting fuel into the carb bowls themselves, but I assume because the engine didn't fire with starting fluid, then it's probably got a junked up carburetor as well.
Ah. Clean up the electrics some, as you were doing. You may want to try and replace most of it (wires, spark plugs, cap & rotor, etc) as recommended by ksmith203, rather than troubleshooting it part by part.

The starter fluid doesn't tell you anything about the carburators, unfortunately, more that you don't have any spark.

The joy of getting old cars on the road again...

Old 01-28-2009, 07:08 PM
1=2
New User
I tried the cleaned off parts. The truck fired once, but the battery died shortly after, so I wasn't able to get it running in any sort of way.

Looks like I'll need to buy a 6v charger.

Still no gas flow, so I'll replace the pump, (I miraculously have an extra laying around for this type of truck).

By the way, are there any good wiring diagrams around here? The truck definitely needs some wiring done to it, but, I can't locate a good diagram. It's a 52' F2, 239 V8.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:09 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
We used to jump start an old 6 volt system tractor with the pickup that had a 12 volt system. IT would really spin the motor, but you need to be careful to not burn up the starter. The old tractor would start real easily and it would sit for a long time during different times of the year. It was an WD Allis tractor with a loader.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I hate to see people try to start these engines that have sat around for a long time, without doing some serious reconoitering first. At a minimum, drain the oil and pull the pan -- you NEVER know what you'll find (John Fin found a dead rat in his). If the truck was running, why'd they park it? Was it overheating? You can bet it needs more than throwing some gas in it, and hitting the starter button. The fuel system is likely full of gum and varnish from the tank all the way to the carb. If you invest some time in it up-front, you'll save damaging the engine and potentially costing $$$. JMHO...

Old 01-29-2009, 01:27 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
GREAT SHADES OF JOHN SMITH!

How long it sat, and in what type of weather is important.

We just went through a 80 some odd post thread on a problem another member was having even after he got his running and an electric fuel pump solved his problem.

I agree with Ross: plan to change out all the fluids, then sterilize the fuel system. Plan on rebuilding replacing the fuel pump, rebuilding the carb, purging the tank, replacing all the rubber fuel hose and reaming the metal ones(or replace them). It sounds like your gas cap is venting ok.

But for a starter pour a little gas (couple tablespoons) in the carb throat and try to start it. If it runs at least you know your ignition and compression are ok - which rminds me: be sure to squirt some oil in each cylinder before you try to start it...Rings and cylinder walls are probably a little dry and this will help guard against a hard start up and help raise compression.

Good Luck!

Julie

Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 AM
-Jim G
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1=2
Welcome to the FTE forum.

I will be watching this thread with interest because my friend just picked up a 52 F-2 that sound like it is in very near the same condition to yours. I will be helping him to get his truck going come springtime.

Now is the time to take a bunch of 'BEFORE' pictures.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:00 PM
FOWL1
Tuned
Make sure you are getting spark. If the pump is working, and the carb is rebuilt and you have drained the tank and gotten the crap out of it, put new gas in it. Take the gas cap off and put your hand over the gas filler tube and use an air compressor and blow air in the tank between your fingers, while someon spins the engine. Use the choke if it's cole out. My '55 sat from summer until now and would not pick up the fuel. I was frustrated because it is restored. I tried pouring gas in the carb and it would run until the gas was burned up. I tried this little trick and she fired up and stayed running and has been running ever since. The trick is to turn the engine over while blowing the air in.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Fowl1, I'd be real careful doing that, any pressure buildup at all could split the tank at a thin spot or seam, and you'd have gas all over the place.

A better lick than pouring gas down the carb to prime an engine is to use an UNLIT propane torch to shoot propane down there. It won't wash the cylinders and there is much less risk of fire. JCWhitney used to sell a system to hook up a bottle to the manifold for cold weather starting, I'm sure the lawyers killed that tho.

Quick Reply: 1952 F2, trying to get it running