1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

two old trucks i know of .... warning non - ford vehicles !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep i hear the someday i'm gonna fix it up stuff all the time . i can take you right to a 70 gto judge convertible here in town that the lady got NEW as a graduation present , she let me look at it and i decoded the vin , it's a spoiler delete , gto judge green with white top and interior ram air iv , m-22 four speed , posi with 4;11's if i remember right , no ac , and it's a rusted out pile "o" s--t now . she gave it to her son and it's never been touched in the 20+ i've known of it . still had the goodyear polyglass tires on it !!!!!!!!! makes ya sick !!!!!!!!!!!!! havi is that a yes ????? give me an affirmative yay or nay and i'll get his number , try and find pics or have 'em resend 'em and i'll forward them to you , and all the info . nice old truck , i'd really like to have it as it would easily be another daily driver , but i need to fix mine first .........

Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
All these stories about people who have old cars and trucks and will not part with them as they waste away seem all to familiar. For over forty years I have encountered these situations many times. Finding and buying these things is not unlike being a salesman. It seems to be successful you gotta try at least a hundred times to get one vehicle. As in sales, you gotta be immune to rejection. One thing that has helped me a little is to be friendly when inquiring and if they say no I instantly change the subject and talk about something else like their place or the area they live in. Sometimes I ask if they know of other old vehicles. There have been a few times that they have brought the conversation back around to the vehicle they have. I had one old guy who flat out said no to begin with, ended up giving me a vehicle after deciding that it probably never would get fixed. That was a result of our discussion in which he asked what it would take to fix it.

I'm not sure exactly why a lot of people don't want to sell the old stuff. I think sometimes it's really just a case of sentimental value or they are fooling themselves into thinking they actually will do something wit it. I have never been in their position as about everything I have has sitting around was either a project or a donor for other projects. Un fortunately the stuff I want to get rid of I have to take to the scrap yard because no one wants it.

I think the thing that gets to me the most is when you try to buy something and later see they let a scrapper have it. Go Figure...

Recently I had a '49 Chevy PU that I bought in a package deal with one of my '53s. I immediately started to advertise it even before I brought it back from Georgia. It took me six months to find a buyer. Admittedly it was a basket case but I did have it priced accordingly. I never had it sitting out so people could see it but I often have wondered if I had just let it sit out, would people have bothered me about it. Maybe the next time I have something like that I want to get rid of I'll just let it sit out and let some weeds grow around it.

BTW, I have a friend with a '55 Mercury 4DHT. It's a basket case with no title. Any takers???

Later Folks...

Old 01-29-2009, 09:25 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
ok like i need it but how much dave ???????????? i'd be dead soon but hades yeah i like the mercs and fords of that era ..

Old 01-31-2009, 08:19 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Name:  DSCN0732 (Small).jpg
Views: 80
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0733 (Small).jpg
Views: 76
Size:  75.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0734 (Small).jpg
Views: 79
Size:  78.5 KBhere ya go scott, some pics of the old dodge . i might be able to squeeze it out myself , but i'm not sure quite yet . so if ya or any one else is interested , i'll put ya in contact with 'em as i'd rather see it go to a good home that sit and go to hades .

Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Name:  DSCN0736 (Small).jpg
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0737 (Small).jpg
Views: 80
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0739 (Small).jpg
Size:  54.6 KBand some more

Old 01-31-2009, 08:26 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice old truck. That would be fun to cruise around even if it is a Dodge.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:50 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Kevin - I've stopped and looked that Binder a couple times myself. Nice old truck.

Scott - The one PW is gone. Thought I'd sold it for fair money, then learned later that the guy flipped it for near double the money. Go figure. Gonna hang on to the other one, though.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:42 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
The most irritating car story I have is about my grandma's car. My grandfather bought a '67 Nova, brand new out of the showroom for my grandma. From 1967 until about 1978 the car almost never saw water. If there was a hint it might rain the car stayed in the garage. Never, ever saw snow. From late September to late April it stayed in the garage. My grandfather died in '72 and the only time it was driven in the winter were on the dry days my dad would take it out on the freeway just to blow the carbon out of it. My grandma would tell us stories about people stopping her on the street wanting to buy it. We all kind of blew her off until one of our carbon runs when a guy pulled up next to us, rolled down his window and offered us $5K on the spot for it, my grandparents paid $4200 new for it!

This car was showroom condition until '78 when it had only something like 15K miles. That's when my uncle turned 16 and got his license. My grandma gave him anything he wanted, he's the same age as me and was an OOPs baby when my grandparents were in their '40s. He was spoiled, especially after my grandfather died. Within a year he pretty much doubled the miles, ran the engine dry of oil a couple of times and literally put a dent in every piece of sheet metal, even the roof and both bumpers. Finally, the car was in such bad shape he just parked it in the garage and my grandma bought him a pristine used '70 Nova which he proceeded to modify to his liking. After he had the '70 pretty much beat he wanted to know what it would take to get back to looking good again. I offered to do all of the body work and paint in exchange for the '67 Nova. He also was able to bang up almost every body panel and blew an engine and transmission in this car. Although the '67 was beat up I figured it was still worth something because it only had about 30K on it. He didn't want the deal because he said, "I want to restore it". Well, a couple of months later he sold it to one of his grease ball friends for $50 because he "had to get rid of it." He was a **** then and still is one to this day.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:25 PM
hellbound_redneck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is stories like that that **** me off, sorry bob.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:54 AM
kcb37
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a 68 Dodge I bought a couple years ago. Had a blown engine. Bought it for 100 dollars. Ended up selling it, but I did make a profit off of it.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:53 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
yep thought it'd make a good beater myself and it's old and different for sure .... oh yeah stu i gotta go look but i know where theres a couple of old fire trucks that have been there for years in queensway 'hood by the lake . i'm sure you know which ones i refer to but the one looks like a bonus built . the other i'm not sure , its one built without a roof / cab over the passenger compartment . got an aunt that lives there and have seen 'em many times , but never thought about 'em till i glanced up going down 55 yesterday at work ..............

Old 02-01-2009, 09:32 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Yeah, they've been sitting in the guy's driveway for years. The ones I wish I'd have been able to grab were the two F-5/6s that were sitting on Dirksen for years, then disappeared.

When you come get the Y block you'll need to go north and see the 57 Bel Air two door hard top that's wasting away in a guy's driveway. He's been asked to sell it probably 100 times but won't. It's been there the 20 years I've lived out here. What a waste. Stu

Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
That's a pretty decent Dodge, and if I didn't already have so many trucks, I'd seriously consider it. It's my friend who want the Dodge PW, but they command a pretty penny, and finding an older pickup seemed an easier alternative. He don't know it yet, I'm just looking for one to surprise him with. If there's anyone who complains about modern autos and their cushy problems, it's him. So I'm looking for one like this:

Attached Images