1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 PM
tiger_698
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fuel pump

I was asking my dad if I needed one or two fuel lines. He said two, but I looked at the gas tank and there is only one line coming out of the sending unit. I took pictures of the fuel pump that mounts to the block, so can anyone tell me what the other spots are for on it?

Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Tiger,

I'm not sure but I thought I'd at least bump this back up to the top for you.

Ask Ross (ALBUQ F-1) - he'll know.

Julie

Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Go on, Julie, you know this one!

Help us out here Tiger, what year is your truck? Put it in your signature so we don't have to guess! That appears to be a late model fuel pump, what kind of engine are you running? We need info like that too.

AFAIK, none of the 48 - 60 trucks with stock tanks used anything but a suction line out of the tank. I think your dad is used to newer fuel injected engines that have a return line. Your fuel pump appears to have a small recirculation line connection on the pressure side, which will have to be blocked off. So your dad is 1/2 right!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Go on, Julie, you know this one!
Well, kinda! For some reason maybe I mixed apples and oranges from another post and was thinking flathead - and this just ain't anything close to a flathead fuel pump - as you know (oh stop laughing)....DOY!

I would venture to say that with the pressure relief outlet and threaded fuel outlet, this was used on a high pressure/flow application and maybe an engine with early fuel injection. 302 or 351W maybe. or possibly 327/350 Chev? Definately for a newer (70s or early 80s I'm GUESSING) application. Maybe Tiger will let us know what he's got in his truck so I will look REALLY dumb.

Even my Carter high pressure/flow fuel pump on my 390 uses hoses and clamps.

Too many distractions lately.......

Julie

Old 01-27-2009, 11:01 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW- he posted in an earlier thread that he purchased a new crate 302 with 4 barrel carb setup. I don't see why he needs a return line with a carb. Sure that's the correct fuel pump?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
In the late 70's and early 80's, it was common to have a return line to prevent vapor lock; engines with them "modern" emissions controls were running really hot, and vapor locking with old-fashioned mechanical pumps. I'd bet this is an early '80's SBF pump?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
A hah! - Good to know!

Well at least it not feeding a gasoline fueled heater or something bizzare like that.

J!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 PM
tiger_698
Senior User
They said the engine was a 1969 block. Julie, you were right, it is a 302. I installed a '69 Mustang tank, and the sending unit that came with it is the one I was referring to.

I would guess that it's the correct fuel pump. It is the one that they sent me with the engine. But of course, there was nothing with it explaining it. So if I need to run a return line to prevent vapor lock, anyone have suggestions on how to run one through the tank? Or is LEckart right and I need to block off one of the outlets...and how is that done?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I suspect the vender assumed that you had a newer vehicle with a return line. I have a 78 460 in my 54 and it doesn't have the return line. It just has the line from the tank and outlet to the carb.

You might check with a good parts store that is familiar with people working on swapping engines into older vehicles to see if there is a different pump that would work for your application. Many of the NAPA stores have people that can help with this.

Tell them you want a fuel pump for a 302 that is using a 69 mustang fuel tank with no return.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by husker
I suspect the vender assumed that you had a newer vehicle with a return line. I have a 78 460 in my 54 and it doesn't have the return line. It just has the line from the tank and outlet to the carb.

You might check with a good parts store that is familiar with people working on swapping engines into older vehicles to see if there is a different pump that would work for your application. Many of the NAPA stores have people that can help with this.

Tell them you want a fuel pump for a 302 that is using a 69 mustang fuel tank with no return.
And just for grins (I'm not sure you had an option here or how far built up you rengine is) Ross made a very good point....you might want to ask them if your engine is set up for NO emmissions devices or controls.J!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:55 AM
HOTWRENCH
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Fuel Pump

That pump is designed for a tank return , to prevent vapor lock. Plugging the tank return doesn't always work so well , sometimes causing over pressurization of the carb . You would be better off with a two line pump thats designed for your tank system. A pump for a 60's or early 70's engine would work better.

Have A Good Day ----- Hotwrench

Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM
tiger_698
Senior User
I haven't quite solved the problem yet. I was taking all things into consideration, and found something on jegs that would work (as long as I have 2 3/4" between the tank and bed...but don't know how much room I have yet. But I was also thinking, is there a way that I could put some sort of "T" device behind the fuel pump that would pump the fuel straight back into the line? That would be much cheaper than buying the jegs device.

Here's a diagram of what it would be like....

Next, if I do have to get the jegs device, does anyone know the distance on a 50 F-1 from the frame to the top of the bed. I'm lazy and don't want to drag the bed all the way to the garage to measure it, then take it back down to storage. I will just add that distance to the distance between my frame and where my tank sits to know if i have enough room. I will attach a pic of the jegs device so you can see what I am talking about.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
TIGER!

DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF TRYING TO JERRY RIG THIS TO MAKE IT WORK!

IT'S THE WRONG FUEL PUMP FOR YOUR APPLICATION - SEND IT BACK AND ASK FOR ONE WITHOUT A FUEL RETURN OUTLET!!!!

Julie

Old 02-02-2009, 01:31 PM
tiger_698
Senior User
I called the guys that built my engine and they agreed with Ross, I just need to block off the line. Any suggestions on the best way to do that?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:36 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Put a fuel pressure gauge in the extra line (mounted in the engine compartment). It will add 5 HP! Use as much steel line as possible.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if a pump with two lines is any different internally. The extra return line has an orifice about 1/16"-dia. inside it to restrict flow of liquid gas. Vaporized gas can whistle right thru it, but liquid flow is pretty small.

Quick Reply: fuel pump