Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Frozen Fuel Woes & Cures

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Frozen Fuel Woes & Cures

I am writing this because of what Lisa went through.

I'd like to hear recommendations of what products to add to the fuel to keep it from gelling/freezing and what temperatures to add it into the tank.

Let's have 'em folks!

Lisa, thank you for the hard experience you went through, I know it was crummy, we are thankful you made it through safely.
We all learned from it...

Old 01-25-2009, 05:27 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is a copy and past from my post in Lisa's thread...

what people fail to realize is you cant treat one tank in bellow 0 weather and expect it to work.. when the weather starts to get cold... you need to start treating for a couple tanks..then run the tank as close to M/T as you can..then change your filter...then treat every gal of fuel you put in till the weather warms back up for good..and you need to keep the tanks as full as you can and alway's buy fuel where a lot of fuel is sold..... like Clux said..always,always have a bottle of 911 and have a spare filter with you....if the trucks start ti sputter and you know its cold out..dump that stuff in before she stalls...i dont believe a whole bottle of DK is going to help her now..thats what 911 is for..i hope the tow trucks gets there before she gets too cold...
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started using a winter additive back in the end of November when the temps get down into the 20-30s as highs. Been using Power Service in the white bottle......just got some Schaeffer's winter additive in that I'll be using.
I normally put a little more in than the label lists.....every single time I fill up. I also fill up at the same stations all year and all winter.

Been out quite a bit snow plowing this year or trailering on of my skid steers in below zero temps without any issue to date.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:34 PM
swaybar
Senior User
i've been putting "diesel clean" in for the past few months. i'll be honest here i only put it in every two weeks or so. it says "on the label" you should almost match it "ounce to gallon" but i haven't. its been in the single digits for the past week here and no gelling.
(knock on wood).

Old 01-25-2009, 05:38 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
When people say Diesel Kleen....do they really mean Diesel Kleen??

As the Diesel Kleen is the gray/silver bottle that does not have the anti-gel additive:
Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy

The Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement is the winter one:
Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy

Old 01-25-2009, 05:40 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DCSpecial

As the Diesel Kleen is the gray/silver bottle that does not have the anti-gel additive:

yes... around here its white or gray bottle DK...white for winter gray for summer..

i dont have a fuel bowl this year its been bellow o for over week strait....35 bellow and 30 bellow once..so far so good..

Old 01-25-2009, 05:42 PM
swaybar
Senior User
Originally Posted by DCSpecial

there's a red bottle (that i think is the 911) and a white bottle which "i think" is the one i use.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:45 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
How many use Howe's for anti-gel? I know their bottle states that if your fuel gells, they will pay the tow.

Don't know how hard it would be to get the money out of them, or how well it works. I'm not exactly in a region that is prone to those types of issues.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:48 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
I run power service year round. Grey bottle in the warm months and white in the cold months. I buy the small bottle that treats 40 gallons and use the whole bottle when I fill up. Howe's claim that if your fuel gels, they will pay the tow. I'm gonna eventually switch to Schaeffer's soy sheild.
EDIT: Chris I was too slow.lol

Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
yes... around here its white or gray bottle DK...white for winter gray for summer..
There is a white bottle that says "Diesel Kleen" on the bottle?

Originally Posted by swaybar
there's a red bottle (that i think is the 911) and a white bottle which "i think" is the one i use.

Yes, the 911 is the red bottle.

I use the Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle).

Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
How many use Howe's for anti-gel? I know their bottle states that if your fuel gells, they will pay the tow.

Don't know how hard it would be to get the money out of them, or how well it works. I'm not exactly in a region that is prone to those types of issues.
I actually bought a bottle of Howes in SC on my trip back to MA. It has been cold here at night, this morning it was 10* with a slight wind and I had no problems starting the truck. I did notice that the truck was a bit quiter in the "warmer" weather with the Howes in it.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 PM
whitewhale
Senior User
I use Diesel Kleen(white bottle) all winter. Started using it when the temps dropped below 20 and will continue until temps remain above freezing. I've never had any issues with gelling. I do know a couple of duramax's that will gel up if you look at them the wrong way(and we all fill up at the same place).

Old 01-25-2009, 05:57 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by megawatt00
I actually bought a bottle of Howes in SC on my trip back to MA. It has been cold here at night, this morning it was 10* with a slight wind and I had no problems starting the truck. I did notice that the truck was a bit quiter in the "warmer" weather with the Howes in it.
I've used Howe's before and liked it. I especially like the fact that the bottle does not leak after you open it. Let it bounce around on it's side in the bed and not a drop is spilled. Can't say the same thing for Power Service or Stanadyne.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:03 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
there both made by power service.. on FTE we call it DK white or gray...not sure why that is..but DK is diesel kleen the gray bottle ... power service is the white bottle with antigel..should be called PS...

Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
I've used Howe's before and liked it. I especially like the fact that the bottle does not leak after you open it. Let it bounce around on it's side in the bed and not a drop is spilled. Can't say the same thing for Power Service or Stanadyne.
I had to mop up some DK from the bottom of my tool box already what a mess. Howes is tough to find around here though.

Quick Reply: Frozen Fuel Woes & Cures