1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

basic tranny service question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:35 PM
bacwudzme
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
basic tranny service question?

Well ill start with I have a 2005 F-350 superduty extcab 4x4 5.4 with the torqshift 3.73gears and 30000 miles. well i bought it in september i drove 4 different trucks and this went by far the best and the dealer was more ready to neg. the deal. Well heres the deal. I bought it over two hrs away, so i notice plowing that it shudders going into reverse i know this topic has been brought up many times i know there are TSBs on it i have read it all and heres where i need help. the truck warenty just ran out not a major, deal but where it starts is here. I call the local Ford dealer to talk about it she ran everything i talk to the service writer she gave me some info and says at my convienice come in a certified superduty tech they just got from mass. will take it out with me. so this a.m. I went down to the dealer to talk the guy then we went in the parking lot to try my truck. it only happens randomly and notice it more when im plowing at first i thought it was my tires slipping and did reseach on this site and figured it out. Now back to the story he gets in puts it in rev. nothing backs it up puts it in drive power brakes it but no tire spining then drives ahead stops puts it in reverse it does not do it, then continues to powerbrake it in reverse for what seem like a solid minute. he gets out and pulls the tranny dipstick smells it and says well i think we should start by a tranny service. ok we get back in and go for a ride he follows up with well the tranny shifts perfect in forward gears Which i already knew. We get back to the dealer and he says well i would just change the filter and top off the fluid. i said i would rather a tranny flush and replace both filters he said ford sent them a bulliten to do the filter and the top off the fluid and wouldnt touch the frame mounted fillter untill around 100k and he thinks he should put the computer on it and do a upgrade on the pcm. i have a very good mechinic with a tranny service macine and i know i have to run mercron sp can someone help me with this. i know its confusing but would like some input since i dont want to be rebuilding my tranny cause the ford tech wants to mickey mouse my truck Thanks Pete

Old 01-21-2009, 07:09 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
IF there is a PCM update, it would be worth while to have it flashed, unless you have a tuner. They may have corrected something in the timing or pressures, plus they can scan for any residual codes. It never hurts to change the fluid and filter. If ford is willing to do the internal and top off free, take them up on it. Then get a few gallons of ATF and a new frame filter and go to town the flush. If the problem continues, take it back to Ford and let them go the next step.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are do for a tranny service. It is important you get it, your warranty (if you have one) could be argued if proper service isnt done

Get the updates!!!

change both filters.You cannot do a conventional flush with a machine on that tranny. I paid $125.00?? and had the dealer do it.

I recomend the fuel filter also. That is due also

Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 PM
bacwudzme
Freshman User
I have done all the fluids except the tranny. Im very **** about having a good running equipment fuel filter has been changed twice in five months thats because of a bad gas station. the tech said the one on the frame always breaks some aluminum part?? i agree with the reflash have not put a programer on yet. The tech said the tranny machine has to many residules in it and its critical to run mercron sp. so ford said to just replace the filter and top off with mercron sp. thats 180.00 plus tax and 92.00 an hour to reflash it usally takes an hour. mustang6147 what did they do for 125.00? I love this truck it has a 8ft fisher and i run 660 pounds ballest its a tank twice my f-150 7700! i converted the axles to royalpurple and transfer to amsoil. im soon going to do a cold air intake and a exhaust. i might go to another dealer tomarrow to see if there anyhelp. ive called most Ford dealers and the service people have said they have never had a problem with the torqshift/5.4 combo. any help is appreciated thanks, Pete

Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bacwudzme
I have done all the fluids except the tranny. Im very **** about having a good running equipment fuel filter has been changed twice in five months thats because of a bad gas station. the tech said the one on the frame always breaks some aluminum part?? i agree with the reflash have not put a programer on yet. The tech said the tranny machine has to many residules in it and its critical to run mercron sp. so ford said to just replace the filter and top off with mercron sp. thats 180.00 plus tax and 92.00 an hour to reflash it usally takes an hour. mustang6147 what did they do for 125.00? I love this truck it has a 8ft fisher and i run 660 pounds ballest its a tank twice my f-150 7700! i converted the axles to royalpurple and transfer to amsoil. im soon going to do a cold air intake and a exhaust. i might go to another dealer tomarrow to see if there anyhelp. ive called most Ford dealers and the service people have said they have never had a problem with the torqshift/5.4 combo. any help is appreciated thanks, Pete

They did both filters, dropped the pan (obviously) new fluid. The inline filter looks like a roll of toilet paper. It was dirty to. That filter picked up the brunt of it. I did not see the filter in the pan though, I honestly dont even know if it has one or if it is just a pickup and screel, like an oil pump in an engine. The inline filter was dark. No abnormal stuff in the pan. Mechanic said Good to go!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The filter in the pan is more like a screen.

I'm still not real sure what Ford expects you to do for the 30,000 mile tranny service. They don't really spell it out in the Owner's Guide and I've heard of some dealers saying just the external filter, drain the pan and fill with new fluid. I've heard others say a full heated flush with a new external filter, and I've heard others say drop the pan, change both filters, and do a heated flush.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
My old E4OD in my 91 had a drain plug on the converter. I wish my 06 did.

I was told like you said Inline filter. Pan drop and drain. refill with new pan gasket and inline filter.

I was warned , Not to let anyone try to flush this tranny. It will take it out.

So there you go. We are all getting conflicting stories. Whats Right?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:12 PM
bacwudzme
Freshman User
Thanks everybody so far. I called another ford dealer where i bought my previous ford and they said this, im shifting into reverse to fast. which i might agree he said ford on the torqshift mde it so there is a hesitation in reverse and im already in reverse and throttle before it does the engage. and there tranny service is drain the pan and pull the external filter replace external filter and top off fluid thats 225.00 he said the pan filter can be changed at 60,000mile cause its a screen. and the toilet paper filter collects everything. And i gave him my Vin and he said there are no upgrades on my combo and that the computers would not do a thing to my tranny. They sell alot more trucks then cars at this dealership. actually alot of fleet sales. and i had them do warrenty work on my 7700. so any more input is considered. i made sort of appt for monday but would like more info if anybody has been threw this.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
I feel better when a truck service dept works on my truck.

I also double checked my last tranny service, Dated 10/31/08

Tranny service hours paid 1.50
Tranny flush $139.95
Tranny fluid $6.51 a qt
Tranny filter/elemant $37.56

that is a total of $58.59 for fluid
Parts $37.56
total Parts = $96.15
total labor = $53.81

Total Job = $149.96

Misc shop supplies (pan gasket) $1.61

Tax = $10.23

My total bill was $161.80

I thought it was $120 or so, I got to wondering when I say your of $225.00. So I looked and typed the figures right off my receipt. I know oil keeps going up. They also did the ussual checks, tire tread depth and top off fluids , which it did nt need. You know lookin for more business

Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Dragging up a copy of an old TSB - hopefully this is not your problem, but might want to bring it up to the dealer.

3661 - 2005 F-SUPER DUTY TORQSHIFT - REVERSE SHUDDER, LOSS OF REVERSE AND TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAKAGE
SOME 2005 F-SUPER DUTY VEHICLES WITH A TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSION (ALL GAS MODELS, AND 6.0L DIESELS BUILT BEFORE 12/13/2004) MAY EXHIBIT REVERSE SHUDDER, LOSS OF REVERSE AND TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAKAGE. THIS CONDITION MAY BE CAUSED BY THE REVERSE CLUTCH-TO-CASE SNAP RING BECOMING DISLODGED, RESULTING IN A HOLE IN THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE OF THE CASE. THIS CONDITION IS TYPICALLY ASSOCIATED WITH SNOW PLOW OPERATION. OVERHAUL PER WORKSHOP MANUAL USING A NON-PTO CASE (5C3Z-7005-AA) OR PTO CASE (5C3Z-7005-BA) AND INSTALL A NEW LOW/REV SNAP RING (DIESEL-ONLY 5C3Z-7D483-B; GAS-ONLY 5C3Z-7D483-D). TO PERFORM EFFECTIVE REPAIR, ORIENTATION AND PROPER INSTALLATION OF THE SNAP RING IS REQUIRED. USE INSTRUCTIONS POSTED UNDER 'WHAT'S NEW' ON THE PTS WEBSITE (US DEALERS), WWW.INFORD.COM (CANADIAN DEALERS) OR WWW.MOTORCRAFTSERVICE.COM (OTHERS).

Here's another one - this could be why he was talking about a reflash:

TSB 05-18-2 DTC P2106, HARSH DRIVE ENGAGEMENTS, TRANSMISSION SHUDDER - 5.4L 3V ENGINE
Publication Date: August 24, 2005
FORD: 2005-2006 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2006 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 5.4L 3-Valve engine and Torqshift transmission may exhibit any of the following:

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2106 (Throttle Actuator Control System- Forced Limited Power)
Harsh transmission drive engagements on start up
Transmission shudder on acceleration in reverse

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using WDS release B38.11 and higher or B39.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B39 CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

NOTE: THIS TSB SHOULD NOT BE PERFORMED IF BOTH P2106 AND P2135 ARE PRESENT TOGETHER. FOR VEHICLES BUILT 11/29/2004 AND PRIOR REFERENCE TSB 05-14-4. FOR VEHICLES BUILT 11/30/2004 AND LATER REFERENCE THE ONLINE VERSION OF THE PC/ED MANUAL.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
05-14-4

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
051802A 2005-2006 F-Super Duty 5.4L 3V: Check For Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Reprogram The Powertrain Control Module (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D84) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECAL 04

Old 01-23-2009, 03:56 PM
bacwudzme
Freshman User
I am going to print it and bring it to the dealer thank you very much wildwildwest.