2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting a winch need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by emd160
well i was only looking for the front receiver and then i was going fab the piece that slides in to the receiver and the part the winch mounts to
hell, then you're good to go. recommend you use 1/4" plate though. that's the thickness my bumper was for the winch mounting surface and roller fairlead area...was 1/8" steel on either side of the winch

also, it wouldn't hurt to run 1" or 1 1/4" square steel inside the 2" square stock. that way the mount can take some pretty serious sideways pulls without bending on ya

wouldn't want to bend anything or pop a weld

Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 AM
emd160
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea that def suck to be in bfe and have a weld break or something bend and then be without a winch thanks for all the advice guys

Old 01-16-2009, 08:26 PM
N3mo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are using a front reciever, Warn has a multi mount, as I guess all the others do, that will slide right in. If your going to take a 12,000 lb winch off and on a truck, you should go with synthetic winch line since the winch with steel cable and the multi mount will be pushinc probably 150 pounds.

On a side note, I use a Mile Marker 9000 lb winch on my Jeep Wrangler. It's pretty slow, but slow gives you the control you need if the situation is a bit precarious. Mile Marker winches are priced very well. ONe of my mates has a Ramsey 9K on her jeep and it also works well. Warn and Superwinch make very good winches and most of them are rated at about the same line speed. The Warn is a lot more expensive, but the name brand is a lot more recognized. The fastest winch you can find is a Warn 8274, which is only rated for 8000 lbs, but that's the rating. These winches are vertical mounts and can do way more than advertized. In the 80's, just about every full size truck owner had an 8K winch. That being said, if you are going to go mudding, get the 12,000 because even that may not be enough. A 15K might be better, but you'll never get a front reciever mount that will hold that much, expecially if the pull is at an angle.

A lot depends on the use your going to put it through. If it really is jus for the occasional stuck and pulling out stumps, I would go for a 9K and a ****** block. As said before, the ****** block doubles the pull stregth if it's tied back to your frame (or winch mount) and cuts the speed in half. No matter what winch you get, buy a quality ****** blcok because it can also change the direction of your pull. I carry two ****** blocks in my Jeep when we go off roading and I one time had to pull a jeep up hill back onto a snow covered trail and I was behind him, down the hill. The two ****** blocks and the recovery strap made that possible.