1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Popping noise

I am hearing a popping noise on the right side of my 53 after making turns. I was wondering if there is a serious problem. Or could this be caused by the fact that when they swapped out the motor the cut the cross member out and they mounted the engine to the front cross member?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:09 PM
flatheadjohn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it could very well be the frame flexing more than it was designed for. If I were you I'd put the front end up on jackstands and have someone turn the steering wheel from lock to lock just to make sure that your steering components aren't the problem before looking at the frame issue. You might also consider taking it to someone who builds chassis and get their thoughts on it.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Pappy!

Where's the cat?

The frames on our trucks are riveted and somewhat flexible - intentionally. Your situation depends a lot on what cross member they cut out and what type of arrangement they used for new motor mounting.

But I would agree with ol' flathead that there is a chance that it's somehting else.
My 51 does the same thing on the drivers side and actually is a little sloppy in the roadability department.

Here's what I would do: First remove any hub cap and check that all your lug bolts are tight. Then replace the hub cap and make sure IT is on securely...they will "Ping" going up driveways and stuff if they are a little loose.

Next, with the truck on the ground, have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch the movement of the tie rod. Specifically watch the tie rod end to see if there is any movement in the socket. Be sure to turn the steering wheel in BOTH directions.

Then jack up both sides of the truck so the wheels are off the ground. Grab each of the tires on the sides (at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions) and try rocking it and see if the wheel will move from side to side AT ALL. If it does you need to tighten or replace your wheel bearings.

Now, grab the wheel on top and bottom (6 and 12 o'clock position) and do the same same push/pull top to bottom. If the wheel moves at all it's time for King Pin bushings.

Finally, drop the truck back down and start it up - give it some revs, watch the motor mounts to make sure they are secure to the frame, and secure to the engine. Check all bolts.

You might even want to check out your cab mounts.

Good luck!

Julie

Old 01-08-2009, 06:22 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Check your wheel bearings also

Something that moves is binding then letting loose - think earthquake.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Kingpins? Spring bushings? Loose spring U-bolts?

When was the front end last greased? It is called for every 1,000 miles.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Suspension popping or engine popping ? Suspension... Maybe a loose Shock trying find its proper place after a turn ??? Lame, but that's all I can think of.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:36 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
i'll be the smart a-- . it's old and it's telling you !!! in mines case pappy , another 53 it's a combo of two things . the tie rod ends { the only part i haven't bought yet for the rebuild } are a lil' sloppy , and when i hear it it's telling me time for more grease , like ross said . probably every couple months i'll put it up and check for loose stuff , and make sure everything with a greas zerk gets hit . after all it is old , i just wish it were that easy to fix my creaking .......

Old 01-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
The cross member that was cut out is the one that is close to the MC and pedal hook up. Not sure if this was the original transmission cross member or not. The motor is mounted to the front cross member and a new transmission cross member/mount was intalled. It has not been that long sinse everything was greased up. Might be about time for it again. I just started noticing it in the lase couple of months. It sounds like it is right in the cab with me on the right side. I will check the king pins and tie rods.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Pappys53
The cross member that was cut out is the one that is close to the MC and pedal hook up. Not sure if this was the original transmission cross member or not. The motor is mounted to the front cross member and a new transmission cross member/mount was intalled. It has not been that long sinse everything was greased up. Might be about time for it again. I just started noticing it in the lase couple of months. It sounds like it is right in the cab with me on the right side. I will check the king pins and tie rods.
Hi again Pappy,

I had a very similar set-up with my 55. That tranny cross member was removed and a flat plate with new tranny mount installed. Mine was bolted in and it took a few retorquings to get it to stop loosening up. It was sitting inside the frame so I wasn't that worried about dropping it. In my 51 -same thing except the tranny mount is on a pipe type cross member (PO did that).

One more thing to look at is if there is any wear on the tops of the clamps that hold your tie rod. On my 51 one of the clamps got inverted and was sticking up high enough to hit the pitman arm in turns to the drivers side (my springs were a little sloppy).

Good Luck,
Julie