1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 SD Guages are worthless....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Frozen001
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 SD Guages are worthless....

... or is it just me??

Started my truck up an let it warm up for like 5 minutes and the tranny temp guage was just about to where it is after normal driving...

Oil pressure guage NEVER moves no matter what temp the engine is or RPM it running at....

I really don't want to put aftermarked guages in... sort of defeats the purpose of having them in the dash...

Old 12-31-2008, 08:04 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

The guages on most ford vehicles are just idiot lights with needles. My tranny temp guage on my dash is in the mid position before my actual guage even gets off 100*. The oil pressure guage is just an on/off switch once it gets over like 10psi it goes to the mid point. Sorry but if you want to know what real life situations are you need to add some real guages. Sucks huh!!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Frozen001
Junior User
Anyone know where the sending units are for the Temperature, Oil Pressure, and Transmission temperature are...??

Old 12-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 290 Likes on 150 Posts
Sad to say, Chevy boys are the only ones out there with REAL guages. A very well informed source (in disbelief himself) mentioned this to me.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Sad to say, Chevy boys are the only ones out there with REAL guages. A very well informed source (in disbelief himself) mentioned this to me.
Yeah I know how you feel. I was almost sick to my stomach when I got in my wifes brand new Tahoe and it had real fluctuating functioning guages.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:49 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Yes, I remember reading here some where that the tranny temp gauge will sit in the middle as long as the real temp is between 90 and 210, I think. The engine temp gauge has similar behavior. Done to eliminate frivolous warranty work... pretty pathetic, IMO.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Frozen001
Junior User
Originally Posted by NewEnglandHerdsman
Yes, I remember reading here some where that the tranny temp gauge will sit in the middle as long as the real temp is between 90 and 210, I think. The engine temp gauge has similar behavior. Done to eliminate frivolous warranty work... pretty pathetic, IMO.
I am coming from a GMC, so I could tell is of possible issues almost right away... Transmission heating up, lower oil pressure than normal, higher than normal engine temperatures... The way these things work there are useless...

Old 12-31-2008, 03:30 PM
betrayz
Senior User
me likey gauges. the voltmeter is a dream come true.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:16 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Pathetic for who?

That Ford needs to to it? Or that owners can be so flaky about understanding a real guage?

Old 12-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
holy gauge overload.. hahaah..

when do u have time to watch the road..

i think Airplanes have less gauges..

p.s i luv those pillar gauges thou..

Old 12-31-2008, 04:35 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by aldridgec
Pathetic for who?

That Ford needs to to it? Or that owners can be so flaky about understanding a real guage?
They're "Idiot Gauges". It's pathetic that Ford would treat its customers like idiots. Yes, some percentage of your customers are bound to be flaky, but to treat all your customers like they are incompetent is a mistake. If they want them to work like warning lights, then they could have done a couple things, such as 1. don't even bother with the gauges, just use warning lights, or 2. use warning lights in conjunction with gauges, so you get a real reading *and* a indication when reading are in the danger zone.

But to advertise gauges that aren't really gauges is a slap in the face, and downright insulting IMO. What would you think if you found out the turbo on your turbo diesel was just an empty shell because a real turbo made noises that some flaky owners complained about? Or your five speed transmission was really only a four speed because some flaky owners thought the transmission was shifting too much?

If they call them "gauges" they should work like gauges, IMO...

Old 12-31-2008, 04:37 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do miss that about my Silverado.
I even have a '77 C-10 with full mechanical guages...

why is it so impossible for Ford to use guages that actually tell you something?

Old 12-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're "Idiot Gauges". It's pathetic that Ford would treat its customers like idiots. Yes, some percentage of your customers are bound to be flaky, but to treat all your customers like they are incompetent is a mistake. If they want them to work like warning lights, then they could have done a couple things, such as 1. don't even bother with the gauges, just use warning lights, or 2. use warning lights in conjunction with gauges, so you get a real reading *and* a indication when reading are in the danger zone.

But to advertise gauges that aren't really gauges is a slap in the face, and downright insulting IMO. What would you think if you found out the turbo on your turbo diesel was just an empty shell because a real turbo made noises that some flaky owners complained about? Or your five speed transmission was really only a four speed because some flaky owners thought the transmission was shifting too much?

If they call them "gauges" they should work like gauges, IMO...
Well stated and I agree...

Old 12-31-2008, 05:27 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
[quote=NewEnglandHerdsman;6950374]Or your five speed transmission was really only a four speed because some flaky owners thought the transmission was shifting too much?
quote]

The TS tranny is really a 6spd that only uses 5 speeds..........guess your really really pissed now.

The gauge thing is what it is. I wish the gauges were better but not much I can do about it, but add aftermarket gauges. For $160 I got a Scangauge 2 which tells me a bit, but I still would like at least an Oil Pressure gauge on my truck......in due time.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:31 PM
betrayz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
holy gauge overload.. hahaah..

when do u have time to watch the road..

i think Airplanes have less gauges..

p.s i luv those pillar gauges thou..
I'll have to get a night time pic.

I didn't realize I had nothing to monitor my batteries until I wanted to compare the after market gauge to the actual reading. Then it hit me. None of the stock gauges/idiot lights are for the batteries.

I have had past plow trucks go down from bad alternators that I'm sure could have been detected before the snow season with a proper gauge.

There are billet caps for fuel pressure and oil pressure and/or temp sensors. Water and trans temps have easily accessible ports to put the sensors. EGT and turbo require minor drilling. Time for wiring and you can monitor volts, EGT, tubro, coolant temp, oil temp, fuel pressure, trans temp and rear diff temp. No more not knowing.

Quick Reply: 08 SD Guages are worthless....