General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Legends like MArty Robbins,Johnny Rodriguez and Johnny Horton and Rex Allen

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:34 AM
court1100f
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legends like MArty Robbins,Johnny Rodriguez and Johnny Horton and Rex Allen

Keith Whitley and the Like you know it's sad theres no Country Musicians like these guys anymore with the awsome voices they had this modern Generation of country singers has nothing on them at all I just don't think they get it...Or How Bout Geoge Jones or Conway Twitty Just no comparison to whats around now if you ask me.... Just Listen to Marty Sing My Woman,My Woman,My Wife or Don't Worry about me, Or for that Matter I Walk alone,,,,,Or Johnny Rodriguez Ridin my Thumb to Mexico or Down on the Rio Grande,, or Keiths I'm no Stranger to rain or Home coming 63 and you'll know Exactly what I'm talking about...........I know I can't possibly be the only person that appreciates and misses these incredible musicians

Old 12-28-2008, 06:08 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the only reason I'd consider Satellite Radio.

Luckily, We have a terrestrial station that plays the good ole boys.

My 10 YO Daughter came out to get Me out of the garage for lunch one day, and Tom T Hall was singing Sneaky Snake on the radio. She still brings that up once in a while.

So I'm thankful for Real Country 96.1 KGPZ outta Grand Rapids, Mn.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I spend a lot of time on the classic music channels just because there is so much more variety, I get tired of hearing the top 40 played over and over again. I guess it depends on your taste in music, I understand what you're saying, in the electronic age how the singer looks and performs is just as important as their voice, and that is sad.

For me it's more about the song than who's singing it, and there is still some great music out there, but there is a lot of fluff as well.

I think this guy has the potential to be a great (here on a Conway cover):
Blake Shelton Goodbye Time

This is as good as it gets as far as songs go IMO:
Brooks & Dunn - Red Dirt Road

And this one is definitely headed for greatness if she keeps putting out songs like this:
Sugarland - Stay

Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Autoglass
Posting Guru
Well then,,, Let me throw you a curve ball.
Tom T. Hall with his little ballards.
Floyd Kramer with his style of piano playing.
Chet Atkins who could make that guitar almost talk to you.
And list could go on forever!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:53 AM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Originally Posted by Autoglass
Well then,,, Let me throw you a curve ball.
Tom T. Hall with his little ballards.
Floyd Kramer with his style of piano playing.
Chet Atkins who could make that guitar almost talk to you.
And list could go on forever!
Chet Atkins & his rendition of "Silver Bells", probably the best Christmas guitar song ever..................

Old 12-28-2008, 09:01 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
agree 100%!! how can it be called country when you can turn on the local pop/rock station and hear the same songs as you can on the country station? we have no local classic country station here,but if i am messing around the house I can listen to it on yahoo messenger music on my computer.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cjben
agree 100%!! how can it be called country when you can turn on the local pop/rock station and hear the same songs as you can on the country station? we have no local classic country station here,but if i am messing around the house I can listen to it on yahoo messenger music on my computer.
Marty Robbins crossed over with several songs and went #1 on the pop charts with El Paso.
Conway Twitty was strictly Rock & Roll in his early years, It's Only Make Believe was #1 on the pop charts.
Jeannie C Riley went to #1 on the pop charts with Harper Valley PTA (written by Tom T Hall).
Chet Atkins recorded many crossover records as well as guiding many country artist to crossover hits as a producer.
Johnny Cash, crossed over many hits (Ring of Fire, I Walk The Line, Hurt, Etc)
And the list goes on and on and on.........................

Old 12-28-2008, 09:53 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by clux
Marty Robbins crossed over with several songs and went #1 on the pop charts with El Paso.
Conway Twitty was strictly Rock & Roll in his early years, It's Only Make Believe was #1 on the pop charts.
Jeannie C Riley went to #1 on the pop charts with Harper Valley PTA (written by Tom T Hall).
Chet Atkins recorded many crossover records as well as guiding many country artist to crossover hits as a producer.
Johnny Cash, crossed over many hits (Ring of Fire, I Walk The Line, Hurt, Etc)
And the list goes on and on and on.........................
Good point, and I'd like to add that there are some up and coming artists like Jamey Johnson with good stuff like "you should have seen it in color" and really gritty artists like Miranda Lambert, whose songs are pretty hard core, but the theme is still country: "Crazy ex-girlfriend," Gunpowder and Lead'" and "Kerosene."

You want a talented guitarist? Listen to Brad Paisley.

YouTube - Brad Paisley "Nervous Breakdown"

Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

As I opened this thread, Don Williams was on the radio singing "I Believe in Love". What a voice he has.

I listen to the Boston "country" station for four hours a week - Sunday between 8AM and noon. The rest of the time they play the manufactured crap. There are a couple current stars that I like but I get tired of the same ten songs over and over.

I'll take the old stuff any day.....

Old 12-28-2008, 10:10 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by stu37d
Good point, and I'd like to add that there are some up and coming artists like Jamey Johnson with good stuff like "you should have seen it in color" and really gritty artists like Miranda Lambert, whose songs are pretty hard core, but the theme is still country: "Crazy ex-girlfriend," Gunpowder and Lead'" and "Kerosene."

You want a talented guitarist? Listen to Brad Paisley.

YouTube - Brad Paisley "Nervous Breakdown"
Some more good stuff:

YouTube - brad paisley- whiskey lullaby
YouTube - Brad Paisley - When I Get Where I'm Going
YouTube - Brooks & Dunn - Believe

There's still a lot of good music there, it just hasn't had time to be distilled like the oldies have.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Originally Posted by clux
There's still a lot of good music there, it just hasn't had time to be distilled like the oldies have.
I agree that there is some great current music out there - the problem is having to listen to all the crap in between. I suppose it was always like that, it's just that now the oldies or classics programs only play the good songs from an era, not the crap.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:27 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by Nitramjr
I agree that there is some great current music out there - the problem is having to listen to all the crap in between. I suppose it was always like that, it's just that now the oldies or classics programs only play the good songs from an era, not the crap.
It's probably always been that way. Remember Tim McGraw's The Cowboy in Me?" I thought that song pretty much personified each of us stubborn, sometimes irrational men (and women). To me it was almost perfection in its simplicity. I think every artist (not 'singer') has that one song that just hits you just right. Not every song can be "He Stopped Loving Her Today," some have to be just ordinary tunes for us to appreciate the greats.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
Originally Posted by alchymist
Chet Atkins & his rendition of "Silver Bells", probably the best Christmas guitar song ever..................
When it comes to finding older the work of older musicians, YouTube offers piles of good stuff. Rare video from stuff like TV appearances often brings back good memories.

YouTube - Chet Atkins, Hank Snow "Silver Bell"

Old 12-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitramjr
I agree, lots of great musicians out there. Although the "golden age" of country music sadly seems to have passed, Its still FAR superior to what passes for "rock" music nowadays. I quit listening to rock in the early 90s, went to country and never looked back. One way to improve country music IMO, show Taylor Swift the door, and make sure Jessica Simpson NEVER returns.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:05 PM
court1100f
Elder User
Heres a list of Marty on Youtube that I selected for this post listen to your favorite or listen to them all YouTube - Marty Robbins Sings 'Don't Worry.' -Don't Worry Bout me -Pre-recorded original

YouTube - Marty Robbins - My Woman, My Woman, My Wife -My woman,My Woman,My wife live.

YouTube - Marty Robbins - I Walk Alone -I Walk Alone Live

YouTube - Don't Worry - Marty Robbins -Don't Worry Bout me Live

YouTube - 18 Yellow Roses - Marty Robbins -18 yellow roses live

YouTube - Cool Water - Marty Robbins -Cool water live

YouTube - Marty Robbins - Blue Spanish Eyes -Blue spanish eyes live Yes by Marty

YouTube - Marty Robbins "Devil Woman" 1978 Country Holland -Devil Woman live

YouTube - Marty Robbins "El Paso" 1978 Rotterdam Holland -El Paso Live

YouTube - Big Iron Big Iron not live though

YouTube - Marty Robbins - A White Sport Coat & a Pink Carnation (+ 2) White sport coat and a pink carnation + a Bonus
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................heres Johnny Hortons Whispering Pines YouTube - Johnny Horton - Whispering Pines
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................................... Johnny Rodriguez now YouTube - Johnny Rodriguez-Pass Me By If You're Only Passing Through

Quick Reply: Legends like MArty Robbins,Johnny Rodriguez and Johnny Horton and Rex Allen