Guided roller rocker arms ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:40 PM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guided roller rocker arms ??

Is there a set of guided roller rocker arms sold for the 460 ford.
If so, will they have the roller tip with sholders to stay on the valve stem instead of having to get the push rod guide set.
Thanks Neil

Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 AM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
With all the knowlage it is here on this site & nobody has an idea.

Maybe I didnt ask the question right.

It is a roller rocker arm set that has a slot in the roller tip where the valve stem touches & holds the rocker in place & wont let the rocker rotate on the mounting stud so you dont have to use the push rod guide set.

Neil

Old 12-27-2008, 12:35 PM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think so never even herd of the rocker arm having a guide. just use guide plates.

I'm guessing on this but you have pedistal mount rockers now and are wanting to switch to roller rockers. you will need to machine off the bosses so running guide plates is not a big deal.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 PM
House Husband
Junior User
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing
Is there a set of guided roller rocker arms sold for the 460 ford.
If so, will they have the roller tip with sholders to stay on the valve stem instead of having to get the push rod guide set.
Thanks Neil

Maybe this will work for you.
eBay Motors: FORD RACING 351C/460 ROLLER ROCKER ARM SET 6564-C351 (item 280141370991 end time Dec-29-08 16:04:53 PST)

Richard

Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 PM
kenneth lucas
New User
harland sharp makes a roller tip rocker arm for a pedistal mount d3 460 head . it needs no machine work done to the heads or hardened push rods or guide plates. I am getting a set for my 460 . they are around $450.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:38 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The "self aligning" rockers that I know of where for the SBC, or where not full roller. don't know of any full roller rockers for the BBF, at least non that are currently made, there might have been some in the past I won't say for sure on that.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:49 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by kenneth lucas
harland sharp makes a roller tip rocker arm for a pedistal mount d3 460 head . it needs no machine work done to the heads or hardened push rods or guide plates. I am getting a set for my 460 . they are around $450.

Kenneth first welcome to FTE

You might want to look around, there are other companies such as Ford performance products (the old ford motorsport) that make those for a lot less money then $450. for that type of money you could have your heads machined and use stud mount rockers.

here is the FRPP bolt down version for $369
Ford Racing M-6564-C351 - Ford Racing Rocker Arms - JEGS

Old 12-29-2008, 12:03 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope I have some info useful to you---without all the other needless stuff

When I had to go rockers on my 76 460 because of extra cam lift, causing much racket on my OEM sleds, I wound up going with comp cams roller tips (ball fulcrum). They were actually BB chebby applications, 1.72's (1411). That was the recommendation by comp cams. I went with the crane adustable kit which included a stud (to fit into the "slot" in the heads) a plate with a cutout that fit into that same slot and kept the pushrod inline. The pushrod quide was a composite material and would allow OEM non-hardened pushrods. The bolt/stud for the OEM pedestal was 3/8 (5/16?)and not the usual 7/16 that screw in studs are. That would have worried me a little if I had been going with a lot more than OEM cam. As it was, it worked fine. In fact, I have a set of both on my shelf that I was going to put into the 351C. They may turn to dust before I get to that

At that time, comp did not have the "rail" rockers for Fords in anything but the 1.6 for the 302/351. I have not seen any since that time, but truthfully have not really looked.

I suppose you have seen the drawings (SVO catalog)for the process of milling off the slots for the pedestals on the heads. That may be a little expensive if you are not going wild on spring pressures. LOL

Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 AM
OldRacerGuy
Senior User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Kenneth first welcome to FTE

You might want to look around, there are other companies such as Ford performance products (the old ford motorsport) that make those for a lot less money then $450. for that type of money you could have your heads machined and use stud mount rockers.

here is the FRPP bolt down version for $369
Ford Racing M-6564-C351 - Ford Racing Rocker Arms - JEGS
Will roller rockers fit under the stock EFI valve covers on my '92 460?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:24 AM
kenneth lucas
New User
the harland sharps are adjustable also

Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by OldRacerGuy
Will roller rockers fit under the stock EFI valve covers on my '92 460?
I can't remember for sure but as I recall the bolt downs will but stud mount will not.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
Interesting! Especially since I have some dinosaurs on my shelf. I wonder if the later heads have a flat table for studs. Maybe they use a piece like the 302's to hold the pedestals in alignment. Guess I could go to HS and look. If not, or if they do not have the "rails" to align to the valve tip, then guide plates, are needed and probably hardened pushrods also.

I might have a race-horse deal on new comp cams 1411, 1.72 roller tips and a crane adapter kit with guide plates for OEM style pushrods. Unless they have melted sitting on that shelf They were intended for another 460 and never got put on. The Crane kit will fit 385 and 335 with the slot mount on the head. Might even work with the metal piece for a flat pedestal----dont know.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:50 PM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
Originally Posted by benshere
Interesting! Especially since I have some dinosaurs on my shelf. I wonder if the later heads have a flat table for studs. Maybe they use a piece like the 302's to hold the pedestals in alignment. Guess I could go to HS and look. If not, or if they do not have the "rails" to align to the valve tip, then guide plates, are needed and probably hardened pushrods also.

I might have a race-horse deal on new comp cams 1411, 1.72 roller tips and a crane adapter kit with guide plates for OEM style pushrods. Unless they have melted sitting on that shelf They were intended for another 460 and never got put on. The Crane kit will fit 385 and 335 with the slot mount on the head. Might even work with the metal piece for a flat pedestal----dont know.

If you do deside on the race-horse deal, with such said 1.72 roller rockers & Crane push rod guide set ($87.50) for the slotted mount 460 heads, what kind of money you talking.
The guide set, if I read the Crane site right, the set comes with 5/16" to 3/8" shouldered studs to hold the plates in place, so the rockers would need 3/8" locking nuts, that right, not 7/16" nuts like a normal set of roller rockers have.
Looking a deal, cause I'm broke from dealing with these heads burning up valve seats.
We've put less than 15,000 miles on this RV since we bought it & second time the heads being pulled off for same problem.
Neil

Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
C-LR--

Be glad work up something--- Let me look and make sure the sets are complete (they should be). Are you pedestal mounts the slotted ones and not a flat table?

The only application I have left that might fit is a 351C 4bbl heads, 70 Mach I. I would be a little uncomfortable without the full 7/16 stud instead of this neck down to 3/8 (?) at the thread.

Nope, the pivot ball is actually a 7/16. Its only down at the threaded part of the stud that it necks down. RR kit includes pivot ball (fulcrum) and includes the nut. Let me run out back to the tall grass and look---I think they are under that old Oldsmobile "starfire" hubcap . That reminds me, I was supposed to send someone else on this board something--------darn embarassing

Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 PM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
Yes,
my E6TE-DA heads have the squaire slot mount the fulcrum bolts down onto & held in place with a 5/16" bolt.

Just to help these pulgged up heads breath better, I cut the bulged up emission tit that was beside the valve guide to open the port up alot more. Tryed to make as smooth flowing as I could without digging a hole through the casting.

Got a question,

What could the exhaust valves be, in these heads I have, if a magnet wont stick to them & both times the heads were pulled off the valves had no damage at all.
The seat on the valve face was just as flat & had edges as if they had been faced. No rounding what so ever on the valve face or stem, but the seats were just burned up, #7 & # 2 exhaust seats were just about gone..
Thanks, Neil

Quick Reply: Guided roller rocker arms ??