Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Post Fiend

56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Question Going with after market switches??

If I use aftermarket switches for wipers lights etc.,will I need to modify the hole that they go in. I want to eliminate some of the holes in the dash and need to know if those indented different shaped holes are a must or will I be able to just use round holes for the newer switches. I'm thinking that I only need the ign., lights, and wipers on the dash.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
If I use aftermarket switches for wipers lights etc.,will I need to modify the hole that they go in. I want to eliminate some of the holes in the dash and need to know if those indented different shaped holes are a must or will I be able to just use round holes for the newer switches. I'm thinking that I only need the ign., lights, and wipers on the dash.
I am using a Ron Francis headlight switch in the stock hole, and a SOCAL ignition switch which also fits the stock hole..

they both have long enough threaded shafts to be used without the indented hole tho..

Sam
Old 12-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I filled all my dash switch holes and installed my EZ Wire switches (1/2 the price of anyone else's switches) in my lower dash extention so I don't know of the bezels will fit in the stock depressions or not, but the new switches fit into a round hole with a small square notch filed in for the tab that keeps the switch from rotating when you turn it on.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 12-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Posting Guru

rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm going to use modern switches in the stock locations. I'll use the stock ***** on the new switches, and dummy in the unused ***** like the choke and throttle.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Posting Guru

ferguson777 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
At the risk of hijacking your thread, I've filled ALL my dash holes so I'm free to use whatever I want.

I've been looking for a very art deco style of ***** but haven't had much luck yet. I really don't want the expense of having them machined for me.....so if anyone knows of a source for nice art deco style (i.e. bee hive or other similar designs) *****, plse let me know.

Now I'll get back to filling the 120 GB Ipod I got for Xmas.....

Thanks,
Old 12-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguson777 View Post
At the risk of hijacking your thread, I've filled ALL my dash holes so I'm free to use whatever I want.

I've been looking for a very art deco style of ***** but haven't had much luck yet. I really don't want the expense of having them machined for me.....so if anyone knows of a source for nice art deco style (i.e. bee hive or other similar designs) *****, plse let me know.

Thanks,
if you use this search string "**** hotrod -shift -shifter -dipstick" on ebaymotors, in the vendor section (after the auctions), there is a list of billet aluminum *****, from "The Billet Shop".. and it looks like he can/will do custom *****.

that says to search for "****" and "hotrod" but NOT any entries that contain ("shift","shifter" or "dipstick").. you can do it in one clause too
-(shift, shifter, dispstick)

the use of the 'not' prefix ('-') really make searching on ebay a lot easier cause you can weed out stuff you DON'T want to see..

Sam
Old 12-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Post Fiend

56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
I filled all my dash switch holes and installed my EZ Wire switches (1/2 the price of anyone else's switches) in my lower dash extention so I don't know of the bezels will fit in the stock depressions or not, but the new switches fit into a round hole with a small square notch filed in for the tab that keeps the switch from rotating when you turn it on.
Thanks Ax, I'm not sure of who's switches I'll be using yet but you have answered my question. I've been thinking of moving them to the dash extension myself or possibly moving thier location on the dash. I didn't know if I'd have retain the original cut outs.

Originally Posted by ferguson777

no problem ferguson777, all input is welcome, it gives us a means of stealing and running with someone else's ideas. I have seen dice used as *****
Old 12-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Posting Guru

ferguson777 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sam,

Thank you. Thank You.

Once for that tip on how to do an Ebay search with exclusions built into it

Once for connecting me with that particular vendor.

While nothing he has on Ebay right now matches what I am after, it is apparent that he can do what I want for a not totally outrageous price.

Problem solved.

Thanks again,

Old 12-27-2008, 04:38 AM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I was also pleased that the EZ W switches (GM OEM type) have simple disk ***** with icons on them that do not protrude from the face of the panel much more than the thickness of the ****. Since the portion of the extension I am mounting them to angles back ~ 45*, I am looking at them in profile and didn't want to see a lot of shaft and ****.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 12-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Senior User

merten is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguson777 View Post

Thanks,
Saw these on the ididit site, Vintageair has some new deco ***** too.
Click the image to open in full size.
ididit inc - Dress Up Kit (***** & Levers)
Old 12-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks