Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
New User

05KingRanch350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
F-350 Diesel Cold weather start

I bought my '05 F-350 Diesel 6.0 in October with 116,000 miles. It now has 121,000. Yesterday it wouldn't start. I thought I had left the fog lights on all night, but it seems they actually shut off with the engine if the light switch is on auto, so maybe my battery wasn't drained after all... I tried several times to start it in the cold weather yesterday morning with no luck. I shut it off, waited an hour, and tried again. After several tries it started. I drove around all day with no problems starting after that.

This morning it was 15 degrees outside and it wouldn't start at all. I ran down the battery trying to start it. Had the battery on trickle charge today and tried starting it this evening hooked to two vehicles with jumper cables (one to each of my batteries). Still nothing. It cranks fine, but does not catch. I put winter fuel additive in the fuel tank, but it hasn't circulated. I do not have a block heater power cord attached (ordered one today). It seems that even with plenty of battery power it won't crank.

I'm not sure if it is any of the following issues:
Low/weak batteries
Bad glow plugs (I wait for the light go off each time before attempting to start)
Fuel additive neeeds to be circulated
Need a block heater for freezing temperatures

Still, I'm confused because I've heard people claim they don't need fuel additive, a block heater, or working glow plugs for starting at temperatures above -30 degrees. Any other insights?
Thanks!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Posting Guru

liv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the fuel in your lines might be jelled up try pulling out the fuel filter and see what the fuel looks like in there.

Or your fuel filters might be clogged up.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:10 PM
New User

Thanks Liv,
I checked and the fuel filter looks clean... no gelling in that area either.
Any other ideas?

Also, when attempting to start it is it best to keep the gas pedal pressed all the way down while it's cranking over?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Posting Guru

I've never had to touch the pedal. If you do have to you've got some issues going on.

Can you hear the fuel pump?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Posting Guru

origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05KingRanch350 View Post
This morning it was 15 degrees outside and it wouldn't start at all. I ran down the battery trying to start it. Had the battery on trickle charge today and tried starting it this evening hooked to two vehicles with jumper cables (one to each of my batteries). Still nothing. It cranks fine, but does not catch. I put winter fuel additive in the fuel tank, but it hasn't circulated. I do not have a block heater power cord attached (ordered one today). It seems that even with plenty of battery power it won't crank.

Seems contradictory
two EGR valves, forgot to reconnect the wires on the second one at 151,360 miles.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by origcharger View Post

Seems contradictory
Eh... I didn't notice that. It's just cranking and cranking but won't turn over correct?

Whats wrong with search btw it keeps coming up blank
Old 12-22-2008, 09:22 PM
New User

Sorry... meant to say that even with plenty of battery power it won't start. It cranks and sounds like it's going to start... sputters but doesn't stay running.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:23 PM
New User

Yes, when I turn the ignition on, I can hear the fuel pump run.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Senior User

damuddog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine did the same thing this morning but eventually it started. It was 12* this morning with a wind chill of -10*. I parked in a different spot in the driveway tonight where the sun hits at first light. This helped last year to speed the heating. It only happens on the coldest of nights though. I keep meaning to purchase a heater cord.

'97 Jeep Wrangler 7" lift, Ford 8.8 rear end, 4.56 gears, Detroit locked F/R, 36" TSL's, Borla header
Old 12-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Posting Guru

I've got no idea

What weight oil are you running?

The FICM can cause a no start issue but I wouldn't start throwing parts at it when it could be something simple.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:38 AM
New User

Running 15W-40 Rotella-T
Old 12-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Posting Guru

ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.
Have your batteries checked out, you might have a weak cell or 2. Also 5W-40 oil is a + for cold weather.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Freshman User

datsun_1600 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's been -30C~-35C (-22F~-31F) here for the for the last couple of weeks and I can def say that you should change your oil and batteries. With the correct oil and new batteries I've started my truck at almost -40C not plugged in (had to kinda run it on the starter till it caught) But I had no choice and couldn't plug it in as I was out in the bush... From my experience it sounds like week batteries and incorrect oil....

Just my 2c...

JT
Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Senior User

StevensPoint is starting off with a positive reputation.
Make sure you have the latest flash for the computer. There was an update that makes cold starts much better. I have started mine at -5*F with no block heater no problem. Slow to crank, but starts the first try.

If not that check the batteries, glow system and definately swap the oil for 5W-40.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:58 PM
New User

tadkins22 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 05 f-350 Had the same problem (Even after it was warm) Just sometime I could crank on it and it wouldn't start. Took it to the dealer they did a tsb on it...... They had to replace a high pressure oil line that is in the engine. The injectors have to have so many psi to them before they will fire and this oil line sometimes stops them from getting that much pressure!
Old 12-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1999, 350, 60l, cold, diesel, f350, ford, miss, power, problems, start, starting, stroke, truck, weather