6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What is an EGR delete?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:38 PM
bkvanbek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is an EGR delete?

I unplugged my EGR. Would a delete kit take care of the orange EGR cooler hose that leaks? Where do I get one? Can I do it myself?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 PM
tomfrey
Junior User
Since this post deals with a 03 PSD, I would love to hear from guys with 03-04's. The original thread "EGR Disconnect Instructions" is now over 50 pages with 850+ replies, with some of the original info from 2004, and it hard to keep track of whats good/bad or no longer recommended. So, what is recommended or really needed ? Mt truck is my rv hauler with only 30K mi, but has had its share of problems and fixes mentioned here (heads replaced under warranty). My 5 year "diesel" warranty is almost over, so if there are no warranty issues, and if my goal is just a long term dependable truck, what do I do ? I have seen the delete kits at Liberator Performance (595.00), Elite Diesel (555.00) and First Coast Diesel (630.00) and have no clue what is really needed or necessary. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 AM
w_huisman
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My egr cooler after being scavenged for parts...

The crackpipe made with parts from the egr cooler...

Crackpipe bolted to the intake...

Intake reinstalled, with hose from crackpipe to oil cooler...

You'll have to find a hose that fits. I used a power steering hose off a ~2000 Stratus.

You'll need to weld the egr valve shut, or weld the EGR hole in the intake shut (aluminum), or close the egr valve port in the intake with one of these spools...

Spool installed...

You will also, on the up-pipe, have to weld the EGR flange shut or remove it like what is shown here... (borrowed pic)

Old 12-19-2008, 09:03 AM
w_huisman
Elder User

Originally Posted by bkvanbek
I unplugged my EGR. Would a delete kit take care of the orange EGR cooler hose that leaks?
Yes.

Where do I get one?
First Coast Diesel Performance

Can I do it myself?
Yes.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:28 AM
bkvanbek
Senior User
What about this kit on ebay # 160302968860, or others on ebay?

Old 12-19-2008, 09:38 AM
w_huisman
Elder User

That kit appears to consist of:

1. An intake gasket kit ($50-60 from the dealer, cheaper elsewhere)

2. A stainless frost plug (<$1 at any parts store) to plug the up-pipe

3. Football shaped gaskets to plug the cooler-to-intake connection

4. New EGR cooler to oil cooler hose

5. A couple of stickers, pamphlets, and workshop manual printouts.

That kit blocks exhaust flow through your cooler. It does not delete the cooler. If you have a warranty, this will still 'look' oem.

If you have no warranty and are going in far enough to install that kit, you should consider skipping the kit and totally getting rid of the cooler.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:44 PM
bkvanbek
Senior User
And to skip the cooler, the First Coast Diesel is the best?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:56 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W_huisman did a great job on the EGR cooler delete for sure.
BUT if your EGR cooler itself is not leaking, on the 03 you will be just as good with the block off kit. I'm sure a lot of you guys will throw a rock at me because I said this.
If my info is correct, the 03-s don't have the restriction scoop in the up pipe. That means the block off will work almost like a welded up pipe. If your EGR cooler not leaking, the coolant will circulate in it, but there is no exhaust to cool, so there is no heat what would destroy the welding in it... and there is no exhaust what would go back to the intake. In this case you actually can leave the EGR valve in place, let it operate, there is nothing going through on it...
Almost forget to mention : you save money and time too....

Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
dcaddi2 is correct in that there is no scoop in the up pipe on the 03-04s. Further, and this may only apply to 03s and 04s with the 03 engine, is that they have a "round" type EGR cooler as compared with the "rectangular" cooler of later models. The round type cooler rarely fails. I'm satisfied blocking mine off, doing head studs, coolant filter, CCV bypass, and 4" exhaust. Now I can play!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:39 AM
tomfrey
Junior User
Dcaddi2,

Have you done this mod to your truck, or anyone elses ? I noticed in your list of mods that you did an EGR delete, and this mod does not appear to be a delete. My head is spinning reading this thread and the original 57 page thread.....

Old 12-23-2008, 02:46 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
I actually have the delete. I made it, but I didn't take pictures at the time.
My next door neighbor also has an 03 6.0 ( maybe early 04 ), and I did his block off . The reason why he did ( we did ) only the block off, because he didn't have any problem with the EGR cooler, but at the time he had to replace the HPOP, and we were right there, so...
The only reason I did the delete instead of the block off, because I was out of warranty at the time, had time in my hand, and I like to have projects.
Spent a lot of time to make it, and if I don't have friends at a welding shop, probably some money too beside ordering the new gaskets, etc... while my neighbor bought the block off kit from ebay, there was everything in the pack, and it was really quick to install.... Oh, and he has the same result like I have. No more ( functional )EGR cooler.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:23 PM
tomfrey
Junior User
This sounds like a good fix for an 04, and still look stock. Since the egr valve is still in place, but does not get any air/exhaust flow through it, does the CEL light come on ? I am lost with the amount of sensors that I read about in the first 30 pages of the original EGR thread......I have a Cali truck so has anyone in CA done this ?

Thanks,

Old 12-23-2008, 03:38 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Originally Posted by tomfrey
This sounds like a good fix for an 04, and still look stock. Since the egr valve is still in place, but does not get any air/exhaust flow through it, does the CEL light come on ? I am lost with the amount of sensors that I read about in the first 30 pages of the original EGR thread......I have a Cali truck so has anyone in CA done this ?

Thanks,
If the EGR valve remains plugged in, - even there are no gasses flowing through - won't throw a CEL.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:58 PM
tomfrey
Junior User
Unhappy

The new thread "New EGR Info" has brought me to a schreeching halt in my search for a EGR delete/cooler removal for my 04 PSD. Its starting to look like eliminating/turning off the EGR may not be the way to go. Are we stuck with this EPA mandated motor killer ??

Old 12-27-2008, 11:29 PM
grif95
Senior User
I am going to show my ignorance and newness to the diesel world.

I have read several different posts concerning this topic and still find myself somewhat confused. Here is what I am experiencing:

A loss of coolant requiring top off roughly every couple of weeks (dependent on miles driven). A very noticeable drip (while idling) originating from the orange EGR coolant line connected to the EGR Cooler. Another symptom has been the smell of heated coolant coming into the cab after roughly 10 to 15 miles worth of driving. Keep in mind that the local Ford dealership pressure tested the system and could find no leak.

Now my question(s) - (Please Help)

1.) If not addressed, will this leak cause other more costly issues?
2.) Can I continue to drive the truck without causing harm to the internals of the engine or should I address ASAP?
3.) Can this hose simply be repaired without going to the trouble of removing the majority of the top of the engine?
4.) If not, what is my best route (what will remedy the problem quicker and cheaper)? EGR cooler block-off, Sneaky pipe mod, or complete EGR delete kit?
5.) How much time and effort am I looking at to fix this issue?
6.) Is the oil cooler plugged and causing this leak?
7.) Was this issue brought on by the fact that I have my EGR valve disconnected?
8.) Should I follow the whole thing up with a coolant filtration system for good measure?

Sorry for all of the questions - my factory/extended warranty recently expired and I cannot afford to pay the local Ford dealership for the repairs. That and I do not particularly care to have the EGR system functioning and continuing to clog up my motor.

2004 F250 Lariat 6.0 Powerstroke
Crew Cab
Fx4 Off-Road
Zoodad Mod.
84,000 Miles

Quick Reply: What is an EGR delete?