Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Fuel starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
93FordCTD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel starting problem

Hello, I'm new to this forum but not to diesels. I have a problem with a 93 f350 with a 7.3l IDI and I can't get it to start. Now keep in mind I have already checked the obvious.

-Electric pump has plenty fuel all the way to the line that goes to the IP.
-New filter
-I use a 12v fuel pump and get plenty of fuel to the fuel filter
-12v at the IP
-Batteries are good
-Starter is good
-Jumped IP solenoids and all work well
-Block heater is working and warm
-Glow plugs work

I can't get fuel to the end of the hard injector lines for some reason but I do get plenty at the IP feed line. I pulled the IP top today and it is as clean as a whistle. I wonder if the IP screen is clogged but before this it would start every day and if it sat for more than 2-3 days it would be very hard to start until now that it won't start at all.

Also I think I have air but with a holley electric pump it should be easy to get air to the injector lines once it easily got to the filter.

It could be the IP inner screen but as I said I pulled the IP top today and everything looks Very clean so how can it be the screen then.

Have anyone else had this problem? If it turns out to be the IP inner screen, anyone ever opened the IP this far and want to shed some info?

Thank You for any help.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 12-14-2008, 07:36 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have heard of the screen bein clogged.there is some info on here about cleaning it i think you just take the top off.could your return line be plugged? try taking the return line off the ip andrun it into a container.if it starts you have a plugged return line.just a quick and easy test.oh crap you took the pump off.uhh i guess you should try and clean the screen while its out and see what happens when ya put it back on.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:29 PM
chevenstein
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Be very, very, very careful about taking the top off the pump, as it's possible to reassemble it such that it will jam in the full throttle position with the shut-off inoperable. You might want to put a soft line with a clamp on the fuel supply and/or rig something up to completely seal the air intake when you first try restarting it, because if it starts with the WOT condition then engine WILL GRENADE. This happened to me once on a different kind of diesel also prone to this problem but I had a shutter for the air intake ready and I just caught it as it revved up. Scariest. Sh--. Ever.

As for your no start problem, try the bypassed return line as suggested and also put a volt meter on it as it cranks and make sure it's not dropping below 9 or 10 volts. If the starter is going bad or you have a short in one battery it can crank and sound like it's cranking fast enough when it's really either not cranking fast enough or the voltag is dropping low enough for the fuel cut off to close.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:48 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just because you have power to the solenoid doesn't mean the solenoid is good, can you hear it click on and off? it could be a bad pump.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I second the can you hear the shut off solenoid click.

And after you take the top of the IP off and put it back on, if you can not hear it click, DO NOT START THE ENGINE.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:24 AM
93FordCTD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You for Your answers, I checked the solenoid before and it does click loud and clear but I will recheck now that I put the top back. It looked to Me like it could only go one way but...

I pulled the return line at the IP but no fuel came out.

Question:

When I removed the top of the IP and turned ON the fuel pump fuel made it all the way to the IP feed line but not into the IP. In a normal IP when You do this, should be fuel fill the insides of the IP since there is not top cover in it = no air to push.

Thank You for any help.