Noisy Valvetrain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noisy Valvetrain Issue

I bought a 93 F250 with a 460 in it. has 186K miles on it. Bought it and the lifters were making some noise and exhaust leaks.

Well now it has no oil pressure showing up on the stock gauge, but i have driven it around 75 miles that way. The believe the sending unit is on the back of the block, and i will be looking at that tommorow, as well as pulling a valve cover to see if oil is getting up to the top of the pushrod to the rocker.

I am running 10W40 with a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

My question is, do these lifters normally start making noise? I will replace them if needed, but is this a common issue on these engines? What else could be making this noise? I think its a lifter because when I use the hose to diagnose the noise, it makes the most noise right at the base of the intake where it sits on the heads...

Thanks guys!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:24 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
Guess its was more tahn i expected... its missing a push rod...

guess i will just pull the whole engine and rebuild it since i will be doing the top end anyway.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:55 PM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
Last time my 460 was missing a push rod, 1 broke, 2 bent & all 3 loose from the rocker arms,,, had two lifters jumped up out of their holes.
Guess what,,, NO oil presure.
No oil presure because the sending unit is at the back of the block & picks up its reading from the oil passage ways that feeds the lifter & cam bearings. Once those two lifters were poped up out of the hole, oil just ran out & couldnt continue on to the back of the block.

Probably wouldnt hurt to check the pickup tube feeding the oil pump. That screen could be stopped up or the tube itself where it bolts to the pump could be cracked & pump sucking air.
Neil

Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy!

While you are at it, do a compression test before you tear it apart. It might tell you if the bottom end is up to the task of a fresh set of heads...

Old 12-11-2008, 11:12 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by masterbeavis
Oh boy!

While you are at it, do a compression test before you tear it apart. It might tell you if the bottom end is up to the task of a fresh set of heads...
I like this idea lots...

But i will pull that intake tommorow after i compression test it... although, compression tests dont do much IMO but make sure that all the cylinders are balanced... i know of 408 strokers that have 14.2:1 compression and nitrous file fit rings, freshly built... only put 130 PSI on a compression gauge... I will also check all the pushrods for straightness, and take all the lifters out and look at the cam lobes while somebody takes a breaker bar to the crank... if all looks good, then i may be back up and running tommorow night or saturday night.

We will see tonight... I was at a basketball game tonight, and i wish i had the truck... all these chevys (my buddies) were showing off in there trucks climbing the snow banks and ****... I know i could do everything they did and more... The sooner i have it back the better...

Old 12-13-2008, 06:48 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
The exact way i pulled that intake off... you can see that lifter back there and that pushrod just chilling... so i bought 16 new pushrods, 16 new lifters, new gasket set, 8 new spark plugs, new t stat and will have it back to gether later this week...

the cam was not chewed up at all... Also taking the gauges out of the mustang to put in the truck... i want to go to 2 5/8s gauges anyway... so i need to buy a 3 A pillar pod and a tranny temp gauge... then it will be complete and back and ready for the road...

this is how i have to work on it...

Old 12-14-2008, 09:22 AM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
You sure you want to put a new set of lifters in it ??, the one out of its hole, it messed up on the bottom ??.

The cam & those lifters already have a wear pattern on each other & you install new lifters on top of that old cam, might have problems later on.
If your going to rebuild it later on anyways, new lifters on top of the old cam wont make any difference how long they last.

I dont know it to be true, but heard the Ford OEM lifters, after they have some miles on them, once the push rod presure is taken off the lifter, it stays popped up, kinda like a solid lifter. Maybe somebody else knows for sure, but thats what I heard.

Crane Cams, has a shim kit for the rocker arms if you think they have to much pre load & they also have adjustable push rod set for non performance type engines.
Neil

Old 12-14-2008, 04:40 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
They will stay up if there is sludge buildup around the feet, and they get get pushed up hard enough to engage that sludge. I agree, unless that lifter you have is damaged, reuse it and save the $60 set of lifters for when/if you rebuild.

BTW, whats up with that nasty **** Hudson River water that you call coolant?

I would almost be interested in seeing the top of the piston head in the #4 cylinder. I wonder what made that pushrod bend.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:15 AM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
Originally Posted by masterbeavis
They will stay up if there is sludge buildup around the feet, and they get get pushed up hard enough to engage that sludge. I agree, unless that lifter you have is damaged, reuse it and save the $60 set of lifters for when/if you rebuild.

BTW, whats up with that nasty **** Hudson River water that you call coolant?

I would almost be interested in seeing the top of the piston head in the #4 cylinder. I wonder what made that pushrod bend.
I'm guessing on the push rod, probably about 7500 or 8500 rpm on a stock engine.

What would cause those intake ports to look like that .
Its like as if exhaust is comming back up through # 2, 4 & 5 makeing it chalky looking & then the intake gasket leaking & oil spray getting sucked into the others.

That engine skipping on cylinders any last time you ran it.
Neil

Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 AM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing
I'm guessing on the push rod, probably about 7500 or 8500 rpm on a stock engine.

What would cause those intake ports to look like that .
Its like as if exhaust is comming back up through # 2, 4 & 5 makeing it chalky looking & then the intake gasket leaking & oil spray getting sucked into the others.

That engine skipping on cylinders any last time you ran it.
Neil
Interesting enough, there are not any intake gaskets on the intake, but the pattern is shown on the heads, but their are no gaskets... It would explain the noise that the engine was making too... Vaccuum sound.

I think a loose rocker bent the pushrod, because both cylinder 4 rockers were really loose...and the coolant only
Looks like that with the flash on... Should be a whole new animal with new running parts and sealng gaskets...

I am not too worried after firing it up with the valve cover off, all the cylinders valves were working except cylinder 4's... And with loose rockers that is why.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:33 PM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
Seriously, you mean thats not a gasket I see in the pic stuck to both those heads.

Take your hand or fingers & right beside that hose thats sticking in the lifter valley, stick your fingers up in behind that lip in between # 5 & 6 intake port where the push rods go up through & see if you feel any head cast numbers up in there.
Now, pull on the little lip see if if moves.
What was it Gommer Pile on USMC youst to say, smiling the whole time, sirprize surprize.
Thats probably one of the better gaskets you can get to seal the intake, way more better than the thin bent type tin pan one.
Neil

Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MustangMatt96GT
Interesting enough, there are not any intake gaskets on the intake, but the pattern is shown on the heads, but their are no gaskets... It would explain the noise that the engine was making too... Vaccuum sound.
There had to of been something there, take a scraper to both the manifold and the head, you will get some scrapeage someplace.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
Gaskets were there, took some wedging to get them out though...

Well... been driving it for about 3 days now! Fired up on first try! No leaks yet! Oil Pressure stays good! and it drives about twice as nice as it used to, revs much faster and does not cut out, no misses, and has much much more power... gettting better gas mileage too... (55.5 miles on half a tank)

I have the flag mounted on it now, and has my new sticker too!

"Keep Working, Millions on Welfare Depend on You"

I would have my gauges wired up, but i cant get my damn headlight puller off (guled on) so i will keep working on that. My fog lights will get wired up soon too, i just got to understand PIAAs wiring schematics...

Also took the grinder to the front bumper today... got it so i can take some rhino liner and rinho line my bumpers... Match my bed now!

I love this truck the more i drive it!

Ill have pictures tomorrow...

Old 12-21-2008, 11:06 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
5MPG?? Time for a "How do I get 8MPG" thread...

Old 12-21-2008, 11:14 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
well i think my gauge is off... when it shows empty, i can put 12 gallons in it.... so half a tank would be 6 gallons on the gauge, showing roughly 9.25 gallons....

but i put another 30 miles on it just now... and it is showing 3/4s empty and i have over 85 miles on the odometer... so that shows 9.44 gallons....

If i can keep 9 MPG out of this truck i am going to be happy.

I used it to tow my friends cousin today. Tow strap and i pulled him... oh man, its amazing, it did not even struggle! My dads Chevy would have...