1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:06 PM
mrsdbro
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air springs

I'm looking into putting a set of air springs on my 06-250 this spring coming, and wondering if there is much difference between th Airlift 5000 kit or the Firestone air kit? they're both rated for up to 5000lbs, cost about the same, mounts about the same and even looks the same. I don't have a 5th wheel hitch and tow about 8000lb travel trailer. It would be nice to smooth out the ride a bit now that winter is here, the roads are a lot rougher. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 02:48 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
They are pretty much the same, just different brands with their own following. Firestone seems to me to be a more durable bag, but that's just my impression.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a set of Firestone's on my truck .. great product .. easy install

Old 12-09-2008, 03:29 PM
mrsdbro
Junior User
I just talked to a truck spring place and he suggests the Timbren ride control system, heres a link Timbren Aeon Hollow Rubber Springs they have no air and is suppose to do the same thing. Anyone hear of or know anything about this type?

Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
They look like they are non-adjustable. With the air bags you can adjust the air pressure in them for what you are towing.

P.S. I have the firestones and would buy them again in a heart beat.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
They remind me of the ZQ8 bumpstops from chevy. The idea being that they ride on the suspension and the more they compress the more resistance they offer. It's not a bad idea, but I believe there are better. Such as the Roadmaster Active suspension system.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Zedrive
Senior User
The Firestones aren't going to smoothen your ride if thats what your looking to have.
They are going to stiffen up the suspension you put them on front or rear. I have air riders and they need to have 5lbs of air min. The air bags shine for heavy load situations. Empty they are harsher riding than stock susp.

Best of the season.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 PM
WhiteEx
Senior User

I used the Firestone Ride-Rites with my 5th wheel; I was on the road for 2 years and had no problems, including back and forth to Alaska. I now have the Air Lift bags and carry a 5,000 pound slide in truck camper and have had no issues with the Air Lifts either.

I did buy an Air Lift compressor which the factory recommended. I didn't know until after it was installed that it is considered 'light duty'. That means it should be cycled off at least 25% of the time it is on. Run for 2 minutes, off for 30 seconds. I am not happy with that, but that was my fault for not discovering it before I installed the compressor.

I would recommend either set of bags.

Last edited by WhiteEx; 12-09-2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-10-2008, 04:52 AM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
I have the Firestones on my truck and I like them alot. My truck is a work truck and it weights about 11,500 lbs. every day and the bags realy helped. I keep them filled at 100 psi. all the time and they have been on for 2 years now with no problems.I just check the press. when I check the tires about once a month.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wydnr
They look like they are non-adjustable. With the air bags you can adjust the air pressure in them for what you are towing.

P.S. I have the firestones and would buy them again in a heart beat.
Yes but they don't effect empty ride like air bags. Air bags usually require a minimum PSI all the time therefore stiffing ride. The Timbren only increase stiffness under load. I would think the Timbren would be better match for someone who only hauls heavy or tows occasionally. Air bags would be better for those that tow or haul heavy often or want to be able to adjust the load resistance.
In the end though you would have to make up your mind what would be a better suited technology in your day to day use of your truck.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:02 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
I definetly agree on getting what is best for you. I disagree with the airbags changing the way the truck rides at the min 5psi. When the pressure is that low I have not noticed a change in the ride, around 15 psi empty is where you will notice a stiffer ride.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Grey 250s
Senior User
I like my Firestones, especially with the loaded gooseneck stock trailer. I guess my butt ain't calibrated so well that I've noticed any harsher ride at low air pressures.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I should clarify what I said in that I have neither air bags or Timbrens but have been looking and asking around about both. I have had others (2) tell me they did not like air bags when the truck was empty because it created a stiffer ride. It is possible they were not running the minimum PSI when empty (I used misplaced assumption is both cases that they where). It sounds like there might not be an effect on empty ride like I thought.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Firestone recommends to keep the bags at 5psi when unloaded (versus empty bags) .. in other words keep a LITTLE air in them so they don't get damaged by rubbing .. you're not gonna feel a difference at 5psi

Old 12-10-2008, 08:27 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I would buy firestone again without another thought. Top shelf gear and I over load them more often than not.My truck rides like a chev pavement princess with two tons in the box,when its empty there is no way I can feel 5 psi in the bags.As for a stiff ride in a 3/4 or one ton truck.... What were you expecting?Drop your tire pressure a few psi.