2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 F150-tires,windshield wipers, other misc. questions..

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:34 AM
rferoni
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 F150-tires,windshield wipers, other misc. questions..

Hello all,

'04 F-150 XLT SC 4WD with 47K miles. It's time to put new tires on my truck and and was wondering if anyone stepped up to bigger tires from the 235/75/17 that came with their truck. I've never really bought tires and was just wondering how a wider tire would affect handling/road conditions gas mileage etc...

From doing research I know I want to go with General Grabber HTS All season tires. These tires are rated #1 at Consumer Reports and The Tire Rack. I can get them in the stock size or step up to 265/70/17. The truck is driven mainly on paved roads with Michigan winters(probably use 4WD 2-5 times/winter).

I was thinking of going with the 255/70/17(as this was the optional tire size when I bought my truck) but this size is not available in the tire I want.

Some other stuff I'd like to take care of....

1. The ole windshield wiper leaving that 4" worth of snow/dirt on the driver side windshield. I remember some people bending their wiper arms but was wondering if there are aftermarket arms to fix this issue. It drives me nuts.

2. My truck still has that slipping transaxle(?) issue. Not a big deal but wondering if anyone has permanently fixed theirs and how they did it. Ford put that grease on a few times when it was under warranty and that helped but it eventually came back.

3. Are there any pcm updates I should get? As far as I know I've never had an update done. My truck has always had a 'slight' hesitation when accelerating and is another minor issue I thought might be able to be fixed with a pcm update. Also, if I can explain this right, when I am under load(trailer,payload etc) and trying to back up say a trailer the feed back from the pedal is for lack of a better word, wierd. It seems you have to really mash the pedal to get the truck to move. This is especially noticeable if you have a slight incline or have to go over a curb or something.

4. Ticking. I'm pretty sure it's the cam phazer issue. I've read many a post on this site and they are all over the map. Some say their engine took a dive while others have had no issues. Where can I get the parts for this, and how much are they? I will fix this myself.

For the most part these are all minor issues(not sure about the ticking) but I will be keeping this truck until it dies and just want to get some things taken care of.

Thank you all for any advice..

Ron

Old 12-06-2008, 10:18 AM
rplatt56
Senior User
Sounds to me like your F150 is normal . As for the slipping issue, you need to replace the rear end clutch packs and add an additive to the rear end fluids.If you want to fix the pcm problems i suggest you get a programmer. Edge or Gryphon are two good ones

Old 12-06-2008, 11:19 AM
rferoni
Senior User
Are you sure its the clutch packs? If I remember right many had these replaced to no avail. Others said the only cure was a new transaxle...

Ron

Old 12-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rferoni
I was thinking of going with the 255/70/17(as this was the optional tire size when I bought my truck) but this size is not available in the tire I want.
a 265 width will fit just fine.
the FX4 comes bone stock with 275 width tires...and they will work on your truck as well.

1. The ole windshield wiper leaving that 4" worth of snow/dirt on the driver side windshield. I remember some people bending their wiper arms but was wondering if there are aftermarket arms to fix this issue. It drives me nuts.
you can fit up to a 24" wiper blade on these trucks...I personally run a 22" blade on both sides...but are you talking about that wide swatch of snow that gathers along the pillar?

2. My truck still has that slipping transaxle(?) issue. Not a big deal but wondering if anyone has permanently fixed theirs and how they did it. Ford put that grease on a few times when it was under warranty and that helped but it eventually came back.
that would be the slipping yoke on your driveshaft if I'm understanding you right.

does it make noise?

3. Are there any pcm updates I should get?
you will have to ask the dealer. there are hundreds of PCM updates out there. Go in, describe the issue, and ask.

probably cost ya about $100 though. but if it fixes the problem, money well spent IMO.

Also, if I can explain this right, when I am under load(trailer,payload etc) and trying to back up say a trailer the feed back from the pedal is for lack of a better word, wierd. It seems you have to really mash the pedal to get the truck to move.
the throttle gets remapped in certain gears. I know that in 1st and 2nd gear, the PCM adjusts the throttle curve so you only have about 50% of the normal throttle. but that 50% is alot more finely tuned.

this is done so you have more control during low speed conditions...like a boat ramp, 4x4, low traction surfaces

I wouldn't be surprised if reverse was the same way

4. Ticking. I'm pretty sure it's the cam phazer issue. I've read many a post on this site and they are all over the map. Some say their engine took a dive while others have had no issues. Where can I get the parts for this, and how much are they? I will fix this myself.
there was actually an excellent post here about 3-4 days ago. he went from 100% to torn apart, and back to 100% and walked through the entire thing.

try searching for it. I'll look also in a minute
bolded stuff

edit: found it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...placement.html

Old 12-06-2008, 02:05 PM
rferoni
Senior User
Originally Posted by rferoni
a 265 width will fit just fine.
the FX4 comes bone stock with 275 width tires...and they will work on your truck as well

Ok, but will it change the handling or anything stepping up to the 265?

you can fit up to a 24" wiper blade on these trucks...I personally run a 22" blade on both sides...but are you talking about that wide swatch of snow that gathers along the pillar?

Yes I am talking about that swath along the pillar. Any fixes for this?

that would be the slipping yoke on your driveshaft if I'm understanding you right.

does it make noise?

You are correct it is the slip yoke I am referring to. No it is not making noise

3. Are there any pcm updates I should get?
you will have to ask the dealer. there are hundreds of PCM updates out there. Go in, describe the issue, and ask.

probably cost ya about $100 though. but if it fixes the problem, money well spent IMO.

okie dokie, makes sense...

Also, if I can explain this right, when I am under load(trailer,payload etc) and trying to back up say a trailer the feed back from the pedal is for lack of a better word, wierd. It seems you have to really mash the pedal to get the truck to move.
the throttle gets remapped in certain gears. I know that in 1st and 2nd gear, the PCM adjusts the throttle curve so you only have about 50% of the normal throttle. but that 50% is alot more finely tuned.

this is done so you have more control during low speed conditions...like a boat ramp, 4x4, low traction surfaces

I wouldn't be surprised if reverse was the same way

there was actually an excellent post here about 3-4 days ago. he went from 100% to torn apart, and back to 100% and walked through the entire thing.

try searching for it. I'll look also in a minute

Thanks for this post, especially the DIY link. Tremendous help if I decide to do this myself...

Italics...

Thanks,
Ron

Old 12-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
for the 265 width tire question
have you ever run wide tires?
they like to "float" on wet surfaces..aka hydroplane.
another aspec is that they follow cracks in the road.

both are minor issues and I personally wouldn't be concerned about them. after 1 week of driving on them, and IMO you would never know you had upgraded from 235 to 265 widths

Ford has been running this size tire OEM for about 20 yrs now on the F-150...usually it's the "premium" tire size.
for the snow question
no real easy fix. A while back, a guy re-indexed his wiper arms. the wiper arm would sweep closer to the pillar...but it still left a good chunk of snow.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:30 AM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
I have an 04 and I went to 265 70-17 tires with no problems. As for the wiper leaving about 4" by the pillar, I had this concern as well so after reading in a post that it would help, I swapped the wiper arms (put the one from the passenger side on the drivers side) and it helped some. I probably gained about an inch. If that is not enough you can remove the key from the shaft the arm mounts on and re-index it where you like it. I have read of several people doing this.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 AM
rplatt56
Senior User
i had to have new clutch packs put in my 07 right after delivery. Does it seem to slip while making a turn and on acceleration from a stop? I believe they replaced my transaxle at the same time to be sure. Whatever they did it fixed the problem

Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 AM
rferoni
Senior User
Thanks for the advice everyone..

As for the tires I did talk to someone at The Tire Rack, very helpful people there. He said as a previous poster did, that wet/snow traction may be a bit compromised, BUT that upgrading to a top rated tire even in the wider width will still be better than the stock tires my truck came with(I think it came with hankook dyna pro A/T).

I'll mess with the wiper arms and see what I come up with. May even try to get a pair at the junkyard and bend them and see how that works.

Slip yoke ......this problem only happens when I let off the pedal and then accelerate again. Occaisionally highway speed(say if i have to slow down very quickly, then hit the gas again) but mostly it happens when in stop and go traffic.

Thanks again everyone..

Ron

Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
several years ago, I also swapped the driver's and passenger wiper arms on my 04 truck and it seemed to help some. I also increased the wiper blade size.