Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

Daimler to kill Sterling truck brand

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Daimler to kill Sterling truck brand

Daimler announced on Oct 14th 2008 that it`s terminating Sterling Trucks, formerly the Ford Louisville brand.
Daimler to kill Sterling truck brand, cut 3,500 jobs - BloggingStocks

Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 PM
less
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where will it all end ?

I remember when the Ford Louisville line first started, back in '69. I was working at a publishing company that produced a number of business magazines and we received a press release from Ford announcing the opening of a huge heavy duty truck factory, in if I recall...Louisville, Kentucky.

The Ford Louisville and eventually Sterling had that signature and very distinctive Louisville look from the first one that rolled off the assembly line to the current model Sterling.

Ford Louisvilles and later Sterling have been an integral part of heavy duty trucking world for 40 years. It will be hard to imagine a transportation world without them.

A sad day . It also makes you think, if 15 % of a market...isn't just enough anymore. At one time it probably was, but now the survivors will get larger, there will be less variety and competition.

If no expert, but I've always felt that the more competition, the more options for your dollar, the better value for your dollar. Whenever this recession ends, I wonder how many HD truck makers will be left standing. I think th herd will experience a significant cull.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Sad to see the huge loss of jobs.

Im not really sad to see the sterling trucks go though. Ive driven a few and they seemed pretty cheaply built to me. The cabs anyways.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Fomoko1
While I`ve never been in a Sterling I like those older Louisville`s spacious cabs the most and I feel right at home there.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:43 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i seen a Stearling 4500 in regina the other day. looked identical to a Dodge pickup with a flatdeck... sad for the loss of jobs, but one less dodge doesn't tear me up!!

Old 12-06-2008, 09:52 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
While I`ve never been in a Sterling I like those older Louisville`s spacious cabs the most and I feel right at home there.
The few i have been in werent bad for space, but it was everything else that felt cheap.
The few I have driven were 205 and up, but it felt cheaper in the cab then my 87, and a whole lot cheaper then the kenworth i was used to driving at the time.

I think ive been babied too much with starting out driving nice kenworths.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Snowking
Post Fiend
I am not sad to see Steerling go. At Kenroc thats what they use and they are miserable trucks to drive.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:01 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by less
Where will it all end ?

A sad day . It also makes you think, if 15 % of a market...isn't just enough anymore. At one time it probably was, but now the survivors will get larger, there will be less variety and competition.
You might want to re read that article, it's not 15% of the market, it's only 15% of Daimler's truck sales ONLY. it's actually only about 2% of the market share and no one thinks that is enough to live on.

Where will it all end ?

Ford Louisvilles and later Sterling have been an integral part of heavy duty trucking world for 40 years. It will be hard to imagine a transportation world without them.
Also they are almost a rarity in the "transportation" world, mostly in construction industry only, the Louisville line hasn't been a major player in the transportation industry for 30yrs if truly every.
When I bought my first truck for working on the farm it was a Ford LNT9000 and it was a great work truck, but it was also a 20yr old truck with almost no miles on it.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:45 PM
less
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Also they are almost a rarity in the "transportation" world, mostly in construction industry only, the Louisville line hasn't been a major player in the transportation industry for 30yrs if truly every.
When I bought my first truck for working on the farm it was a Ford LNT9000 and it was a great work truck, but it was also a 20yr old truck with almost no miles on it.
I have to disagree with you. Back 20-30 years, especially in the Mb.-Wpg. area...it was probably the most common gravel truck, MACK being second. Also used to see a lot of the big trucking companies based in Mb. use Ford Louisvilles and Sterlings as highway tractors. It may have been because there was strong dealership support in this area. It has been a very common heavy municipal and provincial truck (highway's dept./ snow removal/ dump). It could be because dealer support over the years is stronger in some areas of North America than others. In Canada, Ford and GM's stronghold , both in cars and trucks has been the western prairie provinces. It maybe different in your area. Just a guess.

Up to a couple of years ago, Ford dominated the medium duty truck market out here...just the last few years have slipped and GMC seems to rule the roost out here, now...with Kenworth and Freightliner, not too far behind. Hino (Toyota) is starting to make inroads, especially since they've been marketing their newer style conventional. It seems a strong factor in truck popularity, as with many products is dependent on the promotion, sales and service of local dealers. For instance, GMC wasn't that strong-medium duty trucks- here about 10-15 years ago, but then the largest volume Car and light truck dealer added the medium duty truck franchise to their mix and it's been a very strong uphill swing in GMC medium duty trucks since then.

As far as Louisville trucks being popular, well in fact it's not just my opinion, but Trucks of the World indicates that the L range was extremely successful and was in production for many years. The L-9000 and LT -9000 in particular were embraced by the trucking industry.."

I've seen many Ford Louisvilles used both as city and highway transportation trucks, in many cities and rural areas over the years. In addition the Ford F series (f500 and up) was/is very common as a city delivery truck, farm truck, governmental (municipal/snow, dump etc.) etc. The old style cab over (C series) was a very common city delivery truck for the many years of it's production.

The last number of years, Sterling hasn't been as strong in the HDT as before when Sterling first took over, from Ford. Volvo has been very common, as has Freightliner, IH, Kenworth, Mack and the Cadillac, or perhaps I should say Lincoln of the Class 8 world, the Peterbilt, is popular among private owners.

Markets change, you're only as good as last hockey game and the top spots are different than 15 years ago, but the Louisville line was a significant player here and in western areas of Canada, as I'm sure other parts of the continental market.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
I see what Monsterbaby is getting at but the late 80s Ford L series were very very popular and many are still used today but reputible companies.
But now that I think of it, that was 20 years ago and snce then International, Mack and Kenworth really have taken away the tandem truck market since they have been more proactive making trucks able of carrying more. (with example tandem steering axles etc.)
Ford was never really a popular highway truck but you dosee a odd one once in awhile.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Fomoko1
I have to disagree with you. Back 20-30 years, especially in the Mb.-Wpg. area...it was probably the most common gravel truck, MACK being second.
As far as Louisville trucks being popular, well in fact it's not just my opinion, but Trucks of the World indicates that the L range was extremely successful and was in production for many years. The L-9000 and LT -9000 in particular were embraced by the trucking industry.."
I've seen many Ford Louisville's used both as city and highway transportation trucks, in many cities and rural areas over the years.
Markets change, you're only as good as last hockey game and the top spots are different than 15 years ago, but the Louisville line was a significant player here and in western areas of Canada, as I'm sure other parts of the continental market.
It was the very same way here about 10-15 years ago in most parts of Saskatchewan. It was a great time for me watching all the heavy from Ford roll by, sadly times have changed and now most truck manufactures are controlled by European interests.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:50 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
I have to disagree with you. Back 20-30 years, especially in the Mb.-Wpg. area...it was probably the most common gravel truck, MACK being second. Also used to see a lot of the big trucking companies based in Mb. use Ford Louisvilles and Sterlings as highway tractors. It may have been because there was strong dealership support in this area. It has been a very common heavy municipal and provincial truck (highway's dept./ snow removal/ dump). It could be because dealer support over the years is stronger in some areas of North America than others. In Canada, Ford and GM's stronghold , both in cars and trucks has been the western prairie provinces. It maybe different in your area. Just a guess.
You made my point with your second sentence, it was use a lot in the construction industry I.E. gravel trucks etc, it was NOT used a lot in the transportaion industry, I.E. over the road class 8 trucks, there is a huge difference. and also as noted by me, and others, as well as by yourself that was 20yrs ago. Like I orginally said and I quote myself

mostly in construction industry only,

Old 12-06-2008, 06:11 PM
less
Posting Guru
You made my point with your second sentence, it was use a lot in the construction industry I.E. gravel trucks etc, it was NOT used a lot in the transportaion industry, I.E. over the road class 8 trucks, there is a huge difference. and also as noted by me, and others, as well as by yourself that was 20yrs ago. Like I orginally said and I quote myself
I did say that but that was only one sentence or so of my post, your reading is too selective.....the rest follows, as you can see I have indicated that it was used a lot in other applications, other than just construction ...in this geographical area......and as indicated maybe not your geographical area.

I quote...myself from the post you are referring:

"Also used to see a lot of the big trucking companies based in Mb. use Ford Louisvilles and Sterlings as highway tractors (Class 8- By the way, Manitoba -being centrally located has been a transportation hub and over the years many large Canadian firms have/are located here because of this centrality). It may have been because there was strong dealership support in this area. It has been a very common heavy municipal and provincial truck (highway's dept./ snow removal/ dump). It could be because dealer support over the years is stronger in some areas of North America than others. In Canada, Ford and GM's stronghold , both in cars and trucks has been the western prairie provinces. It maybe different in your area. Just a guess.

Up to a couple of years ago, Ford dominated the medium duty truck market out here...just the last few years have slipped and GMC seems to rule the roost out here, now...with Kenworth and Freightliner, not too far behind. Hino (Toyota) is starting to make inroads, especially since they've been marketing their newer style conventional. It seems a strong factor in truck popularity, as with many products is dependent on the promotion, sales and service of local dealers. For instance, GMC wasn't that strong-medium duty trucks- here about 10-15 years ago, but then the largest volume Car and light truck dealer added the medium duty truck franchise to their mix and it's been a very strong uphill swing in GMC medium duty trucks since then.

I've seen many Ford Louisvilles used both as city and highway transportation trucks, in many cities and rural areas over the years. In addition the Ford F series (f500 and up) was/is very common as a city delivery truck, farm truck, governmental (municipal/snow, dump etc.) etc. The old style cab over (C series) was a very common city delivery truck for the many years of it's production.

The last number of years, Sterling hasn't been as strong in the HDT as before when Sterling first took over, from Ford. Volvo has been very common, as has Freightliner, IH, Kenworth, Mack and the Cadillac, or perhaps I should say Lincoln of the Class 8 world, the Peterbilt, is popular among private owners.

"

The Louisville has been a very popular truck in many iterations, ranging from and including, construction, city delivery, municipal + provincial ...dump, snowclearing, highway tractor.....every use I can think of that requires a medium/ heavy duty truck. This has been my observation in my province over an almost 40 year period.

Back in 1970 when the Louisville first came out, I was of adult age and noting, back then the amount and type of applications that the Louisville was used for...my view goes back to the inception of this line and continues right through to it's demise.

I cannot speak for the popularity and application used on the Louisville in your geographical area, but I have explained why there might be a difference in numbers, between area.

It seems we are going to have to agree to disagree on our views.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:13 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
My "area" is coast to coast over the road truck driver.

The transportation is what I do for a living.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Fomoko1
Hey Rob, since we lived in God`s country and seeing Louisville`s on and off the road here was never a problem.

Quick Reply: Daimler to kill Sterling truck brand