A gooseneck stock trailer, the safety chains and the break away cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's really pretty simple: on 5th wheel-- one single chain on center line attached to frame ahead of, and separate of, 5th wheel assembly---- any receiver hitch system, two chains crossed under hitch and mounted to receiver or frame direct-- it's just common sense--if it comes loose, you are morally, ethically, and legally liable to control trailer!!! if you think your above the law, call your state dot. they just might make you take a class a cdl test!!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:35 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The trailer is a lot better than yours. That's the thing. I have yet to hear a single person (other than you) say good things about it. They are deathtraps... I'm shocked they still sell them, but they are so cheap they are very attractive.

If it makes you feel any better, your truck is a lot better than mine :P

Old 12-10-2008, 06:00 PM
jomac11
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our "deathtrap" has been going strong for 18 years now and is still used sparingly when we only have to move a small load. Our new one was not cheap, granted it was cheaper than a WW or a Gooseneck brand, but it was still almost $5000. The only complaint I have is that they used a lot of scotch-locks in the wiring, and over time they will disentagrate.

Here's a question for everyone: who wants to be hooked to the trailer if it breaks loose, i sure don't...

Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Jim McCarty
Tuned
Although I've been logging on here for years, you can tell by the number of posts that I don't contribute often. However, your question to everyone touched a sore spot.

Your question to everyone is rather selfish. It's not about you. It's about the people who are beside you or coming at you when your trailer comes loose. If you are still somewhat attached, you have some degree of influence over the outcome. Those coming at you have no degree of influence.

I know of a guy whose left outer dual came off. It bounced across the median and came down right in the face of an oncoming motorist and killed him. Hey, but at least the dually wasn't damaged.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:18 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by grafekie
The trailer is a lot better than yours. That's the thing. I have yet to hear a single person (other than you) say good things about it. They are deathtraps... I'm shocked they still sell them, but they are so cheap they are very attractive.

If it makes you feel any better, your truck is a lot better than mine :P
I really dont get your deal knocking a guys trailer! Say mine is better etc.

Just remember the list is long of people that think featherlites are POS. Cracked out corners and frames because they are the cheap trailers in the aluminum market.

As far as safety chains, I have two goosenecks that dont have them and never had an issue with DOT. Break aways on the the other hand, I have had issue with. I even had one officer pull it and see if it worked (that is a long story, thank God for manual tranny). Not saying you dont need safety chains, but if you dont have them or dont have a way to hook them up it is a little hard to use them.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 AM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Oh there are lots better than mine :P I certainly won't deny that!

As far as "Here's a question for everyone: who wants to be hooked to the trailer if it breaks loose, i sure don't..."

Uhm... yes? I VERY MUCH want to pay for my wrecked truck than a lawsuit for killing a whole family. The truck will already be damaged by the hopped trailer, there will be LESS damage by keeping it close than having it slam through the tailgate.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
this thread is bringing up some very real reasons why ANYONE towing ANYTHING should have to take cdl defensive driving course!!!! part of the problem with todays society is this-I- me- mine- attitude, and the --not my problem- attitude. just take it for granted, you can hook up to your trailer and drive, not caring or taking any responsibility for YOUR actions. until you end up in prison!! it's not funny anymore, is it??? it won't be long, and you will have to get endorsement for trailering anything, simply because of irresponsibility and very poor driving habits. why do i care??? been pulling over 120,000 for better than 30 years, am state and fed licensed cdl instructor, and teach defensive driving for the big rigs. i've seen people die because of crap like, there's no place to hook chain!!! FIX_IT!!!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 AM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by petey shoes
this thread is bringing up some very real reasons why ANYONE towing ANYTHING should have to take cdl defensive driving course!!!! part of the problem with todays society is this-I- me- mine- attitude, and the --not my problem- attitude. just take it for granted, you can hook up to your trailer and drive, not caring or taking any responsibility for YOUR actions. until you end up in prison!! it's not funny anymore, is it??? it won't be long, and you will have to get endorsement for trailering anything, simply because of irresponsibility and very poor driving habits. why do i care??? been pulling over 120,000 for better than 30 years, am state and fed licensed cdl instructor, and teach defensive driving for the big rigs. i've seen people die because of crap like, there's no place to hook chain!!! FIX_IT!!!!!
Can you show me where in the cdl manual it says anything about gooseneck hitches?? I really dont see how taking a cdl course will give you any info about safety chains and gooseneck setups.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:11 AM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
I think he's refering more to defensive driving... trailers are so much different than sports cars.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:04 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
it's not the hitch itself, but rather, the safety and responsibility factor that are in question. just because the manual does'nt SAY gooseneck--- DOES"NT mean rules and common sense don't apply!! --------what IF it was your family that was hit by a run away trailer?? what IF someone died?? you going to tell me you wouldn't want blood??? put yourself in the OTHER persons place, and THINK IT OVER!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:05 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
One thing petey says that I think should be pointed out and reiterated. Our trailer came with chains. OK. If your trailer doesn't have chains, GET THEM!

Dad's Reese gooseneck attachment for the Reese 5th wheel hitch rails didn't have good attachment points. We made them out of 1/2 inch steel rod, bent into loops and welded to steel angle braces that we welded between the rails. We put in the angle braces so we could remove and reattach the rails easily, so he could have a flat bed. But we put the chain attachment points on specifically so we'd have a good secure place to attach chains.

My truck had a turnover ball hitch when I bought it used. But whoever installed it didn't put in the chain attachment points. I have a quote and will order and install them before I tow the trailer.

I seriously doubt that the trailer will ever come loose from the ball. It would take a whole lot of unlikely event's occuring at once and a lot of negligence on my part for it to happen. But I would rather have a wrecked truck and trailer, than to see my 5-10,000 pound trailer go hurtling through some family in their mini-van.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:10 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
thank you dc! it may not be negligence on your part that gets ball rolling. hard braking, (jack knife), hit in rear, rain, ice,etc., can easily throw your unit, creating snafu! unlikely events ARE what cause problems! (if you knew issue was coming, would you go there anyway?) being prepared BEFORE things happen is the difference between professionals and "drivers". here is something to think about next time you trailer. IF something happens---how are you going to tell a child his dad won't be coming home, ever, because you didn't have time to make your unit safe?--- if that don't wake you up!!!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
I towed my 7x10 flat trailer behind my 88 Toyota "truck" with a motorcycle and other crap on it for about 15 miles, crossing 2 sets of railroad tracks. When I went to unhook the trailer I noticed the hitch was latched but sitting on top of the ball! I had chains, but couldnt believe it didnt come unhooked. This trailer has no tounge weight when empty, and couldnt have had more then 400 lbs on it that day. No flaming please, I know to check closer to my hookup, It was dark and early

Old 12-11-2008, 08:46 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
You can flame me all you want for this, but I really dont see the need for safety chains on a gooseneck. The way the wieght is distributed even if that hitch did break for some reason the trailer is going to stay in the box. They dont bounce up and down. They have alot of hitch wieght. If you are in an accident and the hitch breaks the safety chains are going to break as well. If the neck on the trailer breaks then they are worthless as well. Most ***** are rated at 30k and I really doubt those chains are that strong. I personally get sick and tired of all the "safety" crap. A lot of it is a false sense of security if you ask me. It's just like the breakaway, those little batteries arent going to provide braking for more than a couple of seconds if you are lucky. The only way I could get mine to work on my hotshot trailer was to install a deep cycle battery. Even a motorcycle battery couldnt actually set the brakes.

Safety chains on g/n's are a new thing. We have had g/n's for nearly 30 years and it wasnt until the late 90's I saw one with chains. I never even had a hitch with chain hookups until I got a B&W in 2000. Not saying a hitch cant fail, but then again the hole back half of your pickup could break off too. Do we need to have some safety device for that situation? How in the world anyone survived the last 75 years is beyond me.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:19 AM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Roads are a lot different now, as are the number of drivers that have cars. I think its a lot different. The chains WILL pull the weight if they are rated properly; I've tried in low speed situations. I don't know about your brakes, but my battery (little $15 jobbie) holds my brakes on max for a good 10 minutes, and that's just because that's all I've tried.

Plus the law is on the safety's side. Worst case if it really hits the fan you can say that you made every effort to keep things as safe as possible. For an extra minute hitching and $40 at the hardware store, is it really worth skipping?

Quick Reply: A gooseneck stock trailer, the safety chains and the break away cable