Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hear my Train a comin' (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:22 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hear my Train a comin' (pics)

Well I got my train horns installed and took some pictures while doing it. Here are some of them are I have a few more in my gallery.. The horns sound awesome anyone thinking about train horns I highly recommend them....I have the Siege Engineering Kong MK2 horns with their 5 gallon tank and dual compressors real nice setup and sound amazing(just like a train)..

My 5 gallon air tank.

Tank and the horns man they are big.

The 5 gallon tank had some extra ports so I installed some quick connects and a drain valve.And I still have 2 holes I could use.

The dual pumps.. Nice they fill the tank pretty quick but not as quiet as they say..

Alternative mounting location... HA HA!!

Had to redrill the tank mounting holes as the tank was to big for the frame.

The original mounting holes were also a little small in my opinion so I drilled them out for 5/16" bolts they looked like they were drilled for tech screws.

I made a cardboard template to drill the frame where the tank was to be mounted.

Tank mounted and out of site this part of the truck was the only place I could mount the tank and it not stick out and be seen.

Tank mounted what it looks like under the truck.. I also put it on a slant too the drain valve..

You can see that the tank mounts stick down and there is not a lot of space left in this area now..

The only place the horns could be mounted was the other side of the truck same location as the tank only drivers side the tank is on the passenger side but the emergency brake cable runs down that side of the frame so I made mounting bracket out of some C channel.

Then I welded the bracket to the frame real fun to weld near the fuel tank and fuel lines run on the other side of the frame. The picture shows the bottom welded and the top tacked in place forgot to take a finished picture..

I mounted the compressors behide the back seat. They said the compressors were not noisy but they are louder than expected but I can deal with it..

Work shop I have more tools at home I should say hand tools. but I have a 3 car garage but it is not tall enough for my truck to get in it..

Other side of the truck with the horns you can't see them either which is what I was wanting.

The horns take up the whole area as well..

I ran the tubing from the tank to the horns through one of the bed supports I also ran the wires this way to get them over to run all the wires in together. But I did not take any pictures of the wiring I got busy finishing I forgot too..

The only thing I don't like about the Kong horns(and it is very very minor I still think they are the best horns)is the G4 control valve does not mount straight to the horns like some of the other horn setups..

I ran the hoses and wires to the tank from the access hole in the floor under the back passenger seat...I also used the drivers side access as well for the power wires to the pumps from the battery...

Check valve...

Plumbed in. At this point all that was left was the wiring but no pictures of that..

Old 11-30-2008, 07:28 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Man that makes me want them so bad!! Great job on the install!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 PM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Wow awesome pictures! Reps sent. Do you have them on the factory button or external?

Old 11-30-2008, 07:38 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by STROKIN'IT7.3
Wow awesome pictures! Reps sent. Do you have them on the factory button or external?
No I decided I wanted them on a separate switch from the factory horn. I have a switch mounted under the steering column I also put a kill switch in for the horns so I don't accidentally hit the switch when getting in.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice Tracy....you do great work!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 PM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fxstbchopper
No I decided I wanted them on a separate switch from the factory horn. I have a switch mounted under the steering column I also put a kill switch in for the horns so I don't accidentally hit the switch when getting in.
Very nice. They look really good, similar to the ones i have except my solenoid is on the horns themself. Enjoy em and go scare some people

Old 11-30-2008, 07:52 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by UP_There
Very nice Tracy....you do great work!
Thanks Travis. It took me a little longer than I was figuring on but not too bad.

Originally Posted by STROKIN'IT7.3
Very nice. They look really good, similar to the ones i have except my solenoid is on the horns themself. Enjoy em and go scare some people
Will Thanks. Yeah I would have liked to have the solenoid valve on the horns but I am real happy with these horns.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:53 PM
BlackJeep
Senior User
Tracy

Great job! It makes us all want to have them.. Did you buy these as one of Siege engineering's packages, or did you just buy the individual parts you needed?

Thanks,
John

Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VERY nice job !!!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:00 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great job Tracy, That for taking your time and taking pic's.

Today I was at Costco and seen that same air pump for $21.00. Not that you need to, but if you what to add a third pump to help the recovery time.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:07 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great write up. Beautiful job on the install.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:11 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BlackJeep
Tracy

Great job! It makes us all want to have them.. Did you buy these as one of Siege engineering's packages, or did you just buy the individual parts you needed?

Thanks,
John
John I got the whole setup from Siege off of ebay they have auctions for their stuff on there all the time I got everything to install them minus a little wire as they did not send quite enough. I got the whole thing for $187.50.

Originally Posted by maevans
Great job Tracy, That for taking your time and taking pic's.

Today I was at Costco and seen that same air pump for $21.00. Not that you need to, but if you what to add a third pump to help the recovery time.
Mark thanks we don't have a Costco around me but I will check out their web site if I lose a compressor good info to have..

Old 11-30-2008, 08:18 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice and professional job Tracy, I think we need to head your way if we can use that work shop. Its even got one of those fancy white and orange engine pullers in it. I personally like the alternative location, no reason to go stealth .

Old 11-30-2008, 08:31 PM
DR JOE
Senior User
Tracy,

That is so cool, very nice write up with pictures. Is there no place to mount them up front somewhere???

My wife asked why you didn't mount them on the roof, I said that he didn't want anyone to know he had them... Shhhhhh... BAM... BAHAHAHA

Doc

P.S. On a side note, I passed a truck last year on my way to Omaha on Hiway 81, he had a flat bed trailer and on the roof wind deflector he had can you hear me now and 6 of those horns mounted to the top of his rig. I could do nothing but laugh as I passed him... Sure would have liked to hear them horns all go off at the same time...

Old 11-30-2008, 08:34 PM
zack7.3
Elder User
Man, them things look great. I can't wait to get some. You are making my mouth water.

Quick Reply: Hear my Train a comin' (pics)