Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The name calling some folks are getting involved in needs to stop, please.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 PM
griesera
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya know i dont' risk others lives when i have pulled that type of weight. That's short trips from the house to the pasture...3 miles, dirt roads no traffic. I will agree with you in one aspect, if your pulling down the interstate with that type of load, that's unsafe. On the interstate that's what the one ton's for. If you want to call me pathetic, that's fine, go ahead and do it. But what really gets me is you are wanting a vehicle that is lighter and not as safe just so you can save a few bucks. You want race car performance in a half ton pickup truck. People with that attitude don't use their pickups for what they are ment to do, they want the "pickup look" but yet want that race car performance. You tell me this, what's a truck for, what did ford design it for, than maybe you'll see why it's not a speed demon.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by preppypyro
I think that there has to be a happy medium between safety and mileage. I mean why not take your factory ford, weld a rollcage in it, get one of them there 5 point seat belts (or whatever they are called) wear a helmet, and be the safest/heaviest truck on the road!
That's in the future plans for my truck. Then again, not many Ford trucks can do 170 mph. (And no... I don't drive that fast EVER)

Old 12-23-2008, 11:13 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by griesera
Ya know i dont' risk others lives when i have pulled that type of weight. That's short trips from the house to the pasture...3 miles, dirt roads no traffic. I will agree with you in one aspect, if your pulling down the interstate with that type of load, that's unsafe. On the interstate that's what the one ton's for. If you want to call me pathetic, that's fine, go ahead and do it. But what really gets me is you are wanting a vehicle that is lighter and not as safe just so you can save a few bucks. You want race car performance in a half ton pickup truck. People with that attitude don't use their pickups for what they are ment to do, they want the "pickup look" but yet want that race car performance. You tell me this, what's a truck for, what did ford design it for, than maybe you'll see why it's not a speed demon.
Good sir, I never called you pathetic, nor intend too.

While it is good to hear that you do not endanger others, I was just making a point. (for kicks though you should call a ford dealer, tell them how much ya overload your truck, and ask them if it is a safe practice)
I use a f150 alot different they you do. I leave the work for my f250. My current f150 is old, slow, light, and does get good mileage (1989 302 with a 5 speed) I would love to get a new one for lighter duty use, and I dont have any intentions of getting a ranger.(thats where a f100 would come in nice!) I prefer the f150 for alot of different reasons.

That being said for my light duty truck use, is where I could use a lighter truck, and I like everyone else, would like the most performance out of that truck. Never said race car performance, but the best performance it can get. I know that IF it was possible to lose some weight from a current truck, the performance would increase, thats simply what i was getting at.

For me, saving thousands of dollars over years is important. By doing this throughout my life I have gotten to a very comfortable place in life.

A truck is a vehicle and in this day and age has many different uses. I personally could use it for drivng to work and back, hauling a load of firewood, towing my boat around, driving backroads to check out my fields, the woman could use it to drive to her job and back, and haul a few people around if need be(to name a few things). I could go on and on, but I hope ya see what i getting at.

Ford designed it for various uses too. Long gone are the days when a half ton truck is strictly for work purposes only, but yes they can still be used for that, as well as getting groceries, and anything in between.

Ive test driven a 08 f150 with a 5.4 they are very much speedy! I would love to have that particular engine in my old 89 f150 (with the lighter, less safe body, frame, etc.) and get the best of the performance and economy world.

I know that a new truck is never gonna be exactly like how I (or alot of others) want it, but that dont mean i cant have my opinion about it either!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:19 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
That's in the future plans for my truck. Then again, not many Ford trucks can do 170 mph. (And no... I don't drive that fast EVER)
Haha Well your truck is a weee bit different then most other f150's out there!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Come on Ken, now I know that if I had one that would run that fast now, I could not resist the temptation to crack that 130 mph mark every once in a while.

As for a car, I loved my Cobra Jet Torino. Something the people today with their computer generated horsepower will never feel. Nothing but raw horsepower and enough torque to break seat tracks if you were not careful. Had that one happen.

Originally Posted by preppypyro
Haha Well your truck is a weee bit different then most other f150's out there!
Different nawwwww, It is just outrageous! That truck is in "Constant Full Scale Research!"

Old 12-24-2008, 07:19 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pmasley
Come on Ken, now I know that if I had one that would run that fast now, I could not resist the temptation to crack that 130 mph mark every once in a while.
I tempted fate once and was given a warning. Now its all about 0-60.

As for a car, I loved my Cobra Jet Torino. Something the people today with their computer generated horsepower will never feel. Nothing but raw horsepower and enough torque to break seat tracks if you were not careful. Had that one happen.
2003-2004 Cobra
Dodge SRT10
Dodge Challenger SRT8
2nd Gen Ford Lightning
Ford Shelby GT500

All, in stock form, will beat any year stock Torino CJ in 0-60 (torque) and 1/4 mile (torque + horsepower). Heck, even my 7000lb pig of a truck will beat it 0-60 and in the quarter (though admittedly its not stock).

I'm not denying the old muscle cars their due rights and there are some cars from that era I would love to own, but Detroit has come a long way since the smog car era of the 70s and 80s put an end to the original muscle car era (which began all over in the late 1990s).

I've driven a lot of old iron and new iron... and the new iron is perfectly capable of snapping your next back at gear changes and launch, getting you to 60 and the quarter mile faster.

Different nawwwww, It is just outrageous! That truck is in "Constant Full Scale Research!"
Next on the drawing board is a dual fuel pump (near maxing out the current pump) and porting the blower. Anything beyond that and I'm looking at having to pull the engine to beef up the internals. I'm considering that as a long term project - which I want to do myself so I know its right.

Oh, about the roll cage... I'm not serious about that. This truck is never going to see that kind of speed. I can't take it on the track either... my life insurance policy doesn't cover death on a race track.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:59 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
When you do that engine beef up, you will have to do a photo and why writeup. It would be very interesting.

I will agree with you about the newer ones. My 70 Torino did not have any smog junk on it other than the EGR valve. After I added the track bars, it had a very quite respectful 0-60 for that weight of a car. It was in the mid 7's. Other than a few minor mods, I kept it completely stock. The bad news is that I lost it and my Road Runner Monday morning in a fire. And like a *******, I let the insurance lapse on both as at the time I could not afford it. Yeah, my week really started out terrible.