1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some low life tried to steal my truck today

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:25 AM
conger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some low life tried to steal my truck today

I never thought it would happen to me. I went to get in my truck after I got off the train from down town this afternoon and made the discovery that it had no key switch. I didn't realize until it until after I got in it since I started it with the remote while I was still on the other side of the parking lot. They didn't even take anything. I never leave anything in the truck anyway. All they did was pop the door lock climb in pop the key switch and then......The truck wouldn't start. Thankyou "Viper". It looks like the hood was opened to see if he or they could figure it out, but no luck on their part.
I had it towed to my dealer. The cops are coming by to take some pix for the insurance. I may be lucky enough to get the culprit's face on video, since a transit camera was pointed at the truck. I'll find out more tomorrow.
If it wasn't for the security system I had put in 2 years ago, I'm pretty sure I'd be shopping for another truck soon.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:01 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats of foiling the lowlife. Hope he didn't damage anything too bad. I bet if you pack a picnic lunch at the lot for about a week you will probably catch him. Some thieves are pros, however most are just scum looking for a quick buck. Keep us posted as to what the camera video may have recorded.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:25 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,306 Posts
Keep us posted. Lets see if all this homeland security is working. You know they have cameras everywhere. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:04 PM
conger
Posting Guru
Got the police report done. Cops think that the thief was just filling an order. Edmonton transit security called me today and got some info on location and time the truck was parked. They will go over the footage, but he's not to optomistic. The cameras are high up on poles and the crooks no enough to keep their faces down. On the plus side, Insurance is stepping up and paying for everything. Got a rent-a-car while the truck is being repaired. Truck was towed to my dealer and I didn't have to fork out any money so far. The only damage on the truck is the door handle has a scratch where they popped the doorlock and the ignition cylinder was pulled out. So....this was really just been an inconvenience for me and my family. I would've like to seen the dirtbag's face when he couldn't get it to start.
My Insurance adjuster told me that the SD diesel is the most stolen truck in north america. My advice, if you don't have a security system that disables the starting process; get one. Talk about piece of mind.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 PM
betrayz
Senior User
My 06 XL was stolen in about 2 seconds just over a year ago, from a circuit city parking lot. Talk about getting a pit in your stomach not seeing your huge white crew cab long bed parked no where near anyone disappear. There's no chip in the key so they are easy to steal. A Metro stop is right near a mall so kids ride the train to the mall steal the trucks and drive back to DC and use the vehicle for transportation all week. Cops found it in DC a week later. Very very minor damage. They took the dome light out but left it in a crumpled McD's from a breakfast run they made. Stole a battery, some tools, my phone, hitch. The dummies never looked behind the backseat where all the cordless tools and socket set were. The thieves didn't touch any of my plow and spreader wiring.

They caught the punk, still had my tags on the truck, cops see a big white work truck rolling through the ghetto with VA tags and some young punk driving. The cops gave chase and when the kid bailed my truck rolled back into another vehicle and bent the tail pipe and put a small dent by the bumper. Still had no fuel, I barely had any when it was stolen. Lame courts gave him probation but recently he was back in court for a probation revocation hearing, so he is still being hasseled over stealing it.

I should have had an alarm on it in the first place, put one on after I got it back. It snowed a week after getting it back and I needed it to plow. Way stressful. I didn't have time to get the ignition fixed for months so it would start with no key.

To get it out of the impound yard I had to show up in some alley on a Saturday morning at 8am in SE DC with 250 cash waiting for some dude to show up and let me get my truck. Every other car in the impound lot had no windows from rocks being hurled over the fence.

At least I was local. The cop who had to drive me home said a lot of out-of-towners visting the mall get their cars stolen.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 PM
LionFan
Senior User
Glad to hear they didn't get away with your truck.
Mine was taken from Edmonton international in April and lucky me... they found it a week after I reported it on the north side of Edmonton.
Minor damage, but it wasn't the same after, so I got rid of it.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 PM
conger
Posting Guru
I've heard Edmonton is one of the worst cities in Canada for vehicle theft. I live up in the NE part of the city and I've felt that it really went down hill in the last ten years. The scumbags are taking over.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:41 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
So what kind of system does everyone recommend? Hearing about all this makes me think I better do it.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Fordsflylow
Postmaster
Originally Posted by senix
So what kind of system does everyone recommend?
I'll second that!

Old 11-28-2008, 08:38 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-28-2008, 08:56 AM
gross30
Senior User
Good to hear they never got it Conger. I think the worst place is that big mall. I can't park close, no room, so you have to park way outside. Starter kill has been on since day one, and when parked for quite a few hours, pull #304 IDM relay, just incase, will crank but no start. A little piece of mind when your pride and joy is being sought after for purposes other than your own.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealership up here had an 08 taken off the lot earlier this year and it had the PATS key system in it. It was found out in B.C. with 17k in damage on it. That is why I am having the Ford gold remote installed with anti theft. With my 07 I usually take the fuel injector relay out to disable the truck. It won't start without it and they will usually move on to something else if it doesn't start right away.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 AM
conger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by senix
So what kind of system does everyone recommend? Hearing about all this makes me think I better do it.
I've got an 04 so it doesn't take much to steal it. I've have a Viper it it for about 2 1/2 fears now with starter kill. There's no way to start it without the remote. So it's good to have a spare at home and pay attention to the battery level. Although I'm sure if a pro wants it, they'll find a way. The statege is like the running from the bear theory. If your your in a group fleeing from a bear, you don't have to run the fastest.....just not the slowest. Just want the crook to go on to easier pickins.
That said, I found out an 06psd was stolen from that same area that same morning.