1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Duty Theft Attempt Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:11 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Super Duty Theft Attempt Please Help!

Well guys this happened a little while ago, but hopefully someone on here will be able to help me out.

So, I pulled into my friends driveway about 3.30pm right off Chevrolet Ave across from Kettering University (formerly General Motors Institute) in Flint, MI. I had to run in the house to grab a few things, so i shut the truck off and ran inside (took keys with me, did not lock it). Come out of the house after 1 cigarette (so about 5 minutes later) to find my driver side door open, hood open, and truck running happily with no keys in the ignition or visible damage.

Much to my chagrin, I later learned neither of my heated seats work and my remote car starter/ alarm are no longer with the truck. I also don't have a horn. So poking my head under the hood I noticed a few things that don't appear factory stock- and hopefully someone on here will recognize what these wires are for.

the siren/ horn for alarm, please note that the wire spliced into it's hot wire is white with a black stripe... could that have came from the factory harness anywhere?

And these are my cool new exhaust tips lol

Any help would be awesome... its really F*ing cold out there and i miss my heated seats and horn. The remote starter was nice but not necessary like the heated seats. Thanks guys!

Old 11-21-2008, 12:30 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first two pics are the factory installed "customer use" wires that pass through the firewall. You should see the same set of those wires unconnected under your dash above the pedals.

Not sure about the other pics...

Old 11-21-2008, 12:40 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Everyhting under the dash is connected to something... no loose wires at all. Do those wires go into the fuse box by chance? There are so many wires under there I am having a hard time isolatiing those specific colors

Old 11-21-2008, 01:28 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
The pass through wires come out under the dash. I have a diesel so I dont know if their location is the same or not but mine are near the parking brake. They are simply pass through wires so you dont have to drill holes in the firewall to run wires through.

Have you checked all the fuses? Do any of the non functional items run on the same circuit? i.e. could 1 cut wire be the power feed for the seats and horn?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
In 5 minutes someone opened the door, popped the hood, started the truck, broke the heated seats and stole your horn and then just left? Where the hell do you live??

Old 11-21-2008, 02:36 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I recall, these wires were folded back & taped to a harness under the dash near the parking brake like caprang said. Looked the same as they do under the hood, only cleaner

Old 11-21-2008, 03:58 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Monsta
In 5 minutes someone opened the door, popped the hood, started the truck, broke the heated seats and stole your horn and then just left? Where the hell do you live??
The glorious Flint Mi for half the year, and the other half in Grand Rapids... I insure my vehicle in GR because in Flint I have to pay around 10% more on my insurance because of the high auto theft rate!

But yeah, campus security actually whitnessed it happen but they thought it was me because it the guy was same build/ race as me. Ironically when I filed a police report the description matched the same description of a guy that stole an 87 Grand National out of the parking lot across from where I had parked.

But now, I dont have remote start and my butt is really freaking cold in this 26 degree weather.

Anyone got ideas where a remote start/ aftermarket alarm mechanism would be located? I have an LED in the dash but don't want to pull everyhting apart to trace the wire.

Also, I have found a couple holes drilled in the firewall. My guess is the PO either didn't know about the auxilary wires or had them occupied with plow equipment? I did manage to find a random black wire going the length of the truck and ending just short of the passenger side tail light.

So... how do I troubleshoot all these electrical issues?

Old 11-21-2008, 03:59 PM
locknload223
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just noticed today that I have the same cut wires as in your first two pics, no clue what they're for.

Just what I was thinking. Someone followed you home man, creepy.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:34 PM
meanv10
Elder User
Thats Mi for you. lol

But seriously I would blame it no the aftermarket alarm and remote start. I have seen them do CRAZY things to cars just out of the blue.

those wires come from the factory like that. they should match the OBD port wires, the holes in the fire wall are factory to.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 PM
05lariatPSD
Senior User
[quote=locknload223;6796145]I just noticed today that I have the same cut wires as in your first two pics, no clue what they're for.

That was explained in one of the above posts. They are pass-through wires so you don't have to drill through the firewall if you need to run wires in/out of the cab. I.E., I used those to run the wires from my alarm out to my siren. I also used them to run a power wire out to my battery from in the cab.

As mentioned above the other end of those wires terminate in the cab up above the e-brake pedal. Most of the time they are taped up to an existing loom.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by meanv10
But seriously I would blame it no the aftermarket alarm and remote start. I have seen them do CRAZY things to cars just out of the blue.
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
to find my driver side door open, hood open
Now I would love to to a remote starter do that! LOL!

Old 11-22-2008, 01:43 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru

Old 11-22-2008, 02:27 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Well what would this alarm/ remote start module look like? I was checking fuses and noticed that when i hit my horn, the relay clicks... so there is something interupting the power to or from the horn relay.

Where would these aftermarket units be placed?

Old 11-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How did you turn the truck off? I think the first thing to find out is how he started the truck with no visible damage. Have you checked under the dash yet?

Old 11-22-2008, 05:54 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lead Head
How did you turn the truck off? I think the first thing to find out is how he started the truck with no visible damage. Have you checked under the dash yet?
Yeah I looked, no damage at all. I drove my truck around without the key in it for a while because I thought it was neat (how often do you not need a key on new cars) then I just twisted it and shut it off.

I've tried taking my key out several times to get it to run without the key several times... no luck

Quick Reply: Super Duty Theft Attempt Please Help!