Tmeyer14cc step dish .30 overbore
comp cam 280h here are the cam spects COMP Cams - Spec Card Printer Version
auzzie 62cc closed chamber heads
Scorpion Roller Rocker Arm-Pedestal Typ
eddie preformer intake with egr
holley cfm??
headers free flow exhaust

How wil this setup work?
Wat should i do for my head gasket thickness and deck height to achieve the most quench?
will i be able to run 93 octane?

i calculated the static compression ratio 10.8 so i picked that cam so it would make the dynamic compression 9.3. which i guess means i lost a little on the bottom end but gained on the top end and it brought my dynamic compression down for pump gas right?
please let me in on all yalls good info!! thanks in advance!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 PM
WideOpenFord
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any responses??

Old 11-23-2008, 09:46 PM
hollenjoe
Posting Guru
change your cam setup, the 280h is not a good cam for a torquer 400, go with the 270h or the extreme energy xe262h, also a 650cfm carb willl do

Old 11-24-2008, 12:18 AM
73XAFalcon
Elder User
Originally Posted by UTfball68
Hey there...all that sounds pretty doggon good, only thing I would suggest is scrapping the Performer and going with an Eddy RPM
Edelbrock doesn't make a P. RPM for the 400. He would need the one for a 351C and then another $250+ for a set of PME spacers. Instead, get the Weiand intake and use a 2" spacer under the carb. That should better match the cam specs. Either way, that's a lot of old school cam for a fairly mild motor. The Comp Magnum line of cams is late 1970's technology. Go with a XE262 or a 265 DEH (and then the Performer will work just fine too).

Old 11-24-2008, 08:40 AM
WideOpenFord
Senior User
thanks for all the info.

the only problem i saw with using the 262 or 270 cam was it made my dynamic compression go up way to high like into the elevens and that seems to much for pump gas right? so it though the 280 would be good because the the intake valve closes a little later so it brings my compression back down. so if i chose the 262 or 270 that means i would have to go back to stock heads and mabie some flat tops right?

the reason i chose the egr setup is because i was told that these motors love alot of timing and when you use a egr it allowes you to advance the timing a little more because it reduces detonation. does that sound right? thanks for all the responce

Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then if it were me I would do something about the compression. Lowering the compression with the use of too much cam is NOT a good plan.

You will need LOTS and LOTS of torque to turn those tires. The 4.56 gears are NOT going to be enough to allow you to run a high rev motor and even if it were, you are talking too much cam.

The key to a good build is in the combination. Trying to build a 400 into a zillion RPM engine is just not a good plan. If you insist on doing this, however, make SURE you have the strongest, most perfectly balanced rotating assembly that can be found.

You have some good suggestions in this thread for cam choice and the like. Besides the cam and the piston/head combination, the other pieces seem like good choices. If you over cam this thing, you will have soggy bottom due to the cam and you won't have much top due to the other items that are chosen for low and midrange.

BTW, small diameter tube full length headers will pay big dividends for this combination if you will straighten out the cam choice.

BTW, forget the EGR. You will not be able to dial in your timing that precisely anyway unless you have access to lots of dyno time.

My $0.02,

Old 11-24-2008, 10:41 AM
WideOpenFord
Senior User
alright so that means you cant run flat tops with aussie heads unless race gas or something beacuse of the compression would be to high right?

so what would yal recomend, flat tops or closed chamber?

thanks