'54 239 engine, I want to hook up a tach, What can I do

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Danny D
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'54 239 engine, I want to hook up a tach, What can I do

I have a 1954 Ford F-500 with a 239 engine. I picked up an original Ford big truck mechanical tachometer cheap. What Im finding out is the bigger trucks had a bigger engine and the tach drive distributor wont fit a 239. I have also found that the tach drive distributor that will fit was made for a Thunderbird. That runs the price out of reach. My next thought was to get a tach drive distributor, cut it in half and mate it to the base of a 239 distributor. For me this would be a doable job since I have machine tools in my shop. My question is what tach drive distributor should I use for this? I am thinking the vaccum advance may come into play and what about the points and condenser? By the way my tuck has a six volt system. Im good with machine work but not auto parts. Is there any other way I can use this tach in my truck? Thanks for any help. Danny

Old 11-15-2008, 01:20 AM
46yblock
Postmaster
Every time a 239 question comes up, I should disappear. However...the 239 had a slotted tang drive. The later Y's have a hex drive. So if your big truck has a tang drive OK. If not then change out the oil pump to a later versioni with hex drive.
Another issue...what "Big" motor did the distributor come from? IF it was a Lincoln Y, a cousin, it will may have different teeth count on the drive gear. If so that will have to be dealt with.
My understanding is that Lincoln Y-blocks and the regular Y's have interchangeable distributors, excepting the drive gear teeth and oil pump drive methodology, in pre '57 distributors. After '57 the diizzys went with centrifugal advance, which WILL NOT work with earlier carbs.
I would convert to 12V and put in an electronic tach. Keep the same 6 volt starter even after the conversion.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:58 AM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 554 Likes on 266 Posts
I have a 12 volt tach in mine, with an old radio shack 6 to 12 volt increaser. Good for 3 amps. I run the tach and the lightbulbs in the oil pressure and ammeter gauges. Dennis

Old 11-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Danny D
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the input so far. Let me add a few things here. My truck is six volts and only has 1,885 original miles on it. No, I did not leave off a few zeros. Nothing is worn out so I want to keep the six volt system. I know I could probably find a tach and stick it on the steering column with a hose clamp. What I want to do is use an original Ford big truck dash mounted tach. As far as I can see my options are; pay up to $500.00 for a T-bird tach drive distributor or take two distributors and mate them together. I like the idea of a 6 to 12 volt increaser. I may go with an eletric tach that I can use as a doner to transplant into the original Ford tach housing, using the same needle and face. I may then have a problem of callibrating the movement to the numbers on the face. Since the build-your-own distributor idea involves machine work I like it the best. What distributor would work for this?

Old 11-17-2008, 01:05 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do you buy a 6 to 12 volt increaser at? My 53 is 6 volt and I am not accustomed to the slow 6 volt . My others are all 56s and they are 12 volt and would like the idea of an increaser if it is easy to install.....Bill

Old 11-17-2008, 02:46 PM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 554 Likes on 266 Posts
I bought my truck in '78 and the kid that had it before me was running an eight track tape player with the 6 to 12 volt increaser. It says radio shack on it [ don't know if they still make 'em ].

Everything else is 6 volt, no problems with starting or generating. Dennis

Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Joe Johnston
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 55/56 T-bird distributor with the mechanical tach drive would be suitable for your use. Will sell for $250. Pictures and info gladly provided if you would be interested. Contact me off list not4winter@yahoo.com J