Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire service codes ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:26 PM
DR4296
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire service codes ??

Greetings All !

I'm about to buy my second set of tires on my 1995 F-150.

I bought my first set, a set of Michilen LTX M/S, from Sam's Club. Made my decision on that model using tire review data over at TireRack.com.

So, I've gone back there once again to see if I could find a model or two that handled the snow and ice a bit better. It seems that there are two models that fit those requirements: Goodyear Fortera TripleTred... and Avon Ranger TSE.

However, what I'm confused about is this "service code" value. Online guides say to always get tires with a service code value "at or higher than what you're currently running with". I checked the Owner's Manual and it said to check the sticker on the inside of my door.

I checked there and it just says "P235/75R15XL". I don't THINK that the "XL" is a service code of any sort, is it?? Those are the only numbers I'm seeing.

If I look at what I'm running with, my Michelins are rated "108S".

If I switched to the Goodyear TripleTreds, I'd be looking at a "105T". The Avons are a "105S".

So, if I understand this right, I'd be "losing" a few hundred pounds in weight / carrying capacity if I switched to these tires? I get the feeling that probably isn't that big a deal. The only hauling I do is I go a couple times of year to a nearby garden center and load up with dirt or wood chips. Every now and then, somebody wants to haul a bit of furniture in my truck, but usually not anything very heavy.

Should I be concerned about going with a "105" service code on my next set of tires?

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

P.S. Normally, I would have asked my Dad about this, as he was an "old Ford man". He worked for Ford for several years, first as a parts counter man and then as a parts manager. Then he worked for a Ford Authorized remanufacturer, then that company went under, so he ended up working for *gasp* a GM dealer (among other employers). Anyways, he died this past August, just ONE YEAR TO THE DAY from the day he retired. (Moral = don't put off a lot of stuff "until you retire".) He was my "auto guru" and his favor for Ford trucks certainly rubbed off on me.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Go to carbibles.com and click on wheels and tyres. This will decode the numbers for you. This link is courtesy of shorebird. Hope it helps.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:22 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Avon makes tires? LOL..

I like the Michelin LTX M/S tires.

Error - Discount Tire Co.