Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Unsure of what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Monica82895
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unsure of what to do.

I bought a 2002 F150 in MArch of this year.At this time I didnt get full disclosure of the truck because the man who sold it to us had been getting our business for over 20 years and we trusted him.He did tell me it was a one owner truck and had been fully maintained.In May I had to replace the starter.When my son-in-law fixed the truck(he is a mechanic by trade)he said to look above the wheel on the drivers side,and in the right light you could see "A RELIABLE SOURCE"...the lettering is gone but the area under the letters was a shade differant and you could see them.I was furious,it may have been a one owner truck,but it was definately a fleet truck.I wouldnt have bought the truck had I known,but I would have bought a truck and from that dealer.I never said anything to him at that time.I decided to wait and be glad that was all that happened.Anyway,last month I had to fix the sector shaft,as I lost all my power steering fluid...and for that I had to have it taken by flat bed to the dealer.When I went to pick it up,366 dollars later,they informed me they had put it through a diagnostic and found another 1400 dollars worth of stuff to be done to it,including a 420 dollar tune up and tie rod ends,etc......I asked them if they shouldnt have done some of that when it was going through a safety and the guy said "yep,sure should have,where did you buy it?" and I said "HERE !!!"...well he was a bit confused as he thought I had a Ford Focus,and I said "yes I did,but in MArch of this year I bought this truck from your company from Mr. SO and SO..." well he didnt know what to say,and neither did I.I went back to see the man I bought the truck from as he wasnt there that day,and he said "I`ll see what I can do"...but what I want to know from you guys is what can I do?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should you do?

Well here's what I'd do, I would calmly and pleasantly explain to this gentleman that you bought the truck based on your long and honest past relationship with him and the dealership, I would then tell him you are not comfortable owning this truck and that you feel very unsafe in it knowing what you know. Then I would tell him he needs to reimburse you for all your past out of pocket expenses including the towing charges for this truck.

Then he needs to give you a same year one owner truck of the same value or higher at no extra charge.

If he fails to jump at this generous offer you are making go to the owner of the dealership and explain the problem if that does not fix things tell them you will pursue legal action.

You really need to play hard ball here.

all JMHO of course and I'm not a lawyer or profess to know anything about the law but if what you say is true that is exactly what I'd do.

And always remember never get angry and always be polite because you never know it could be all a misunderstanding that the salesman and dealer will only be too happy to correct perhaps they were not in informed of all the facts either.

GL, Rick.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you know it's a fleet truck, and not some guy who owned his own business?

Also, it's 6 or 7 months since the safety check was done. A safety is no warranty on any parts, just a check to see that parts will pass safety standards at that moment, not beyond. And of course, a shop that is doing the safety check on something it's selling, is not going to be as picky about stuff that will cost themselves extra money.

All the same I would talk to them, about how you feel your trust relationship was violated, and hopefully you can get a discount on any major repairs that the truck needs. And I agree with Rick, be as polite and nice as you can about it.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by loudfords
All the same I would talk to them, about how you feel your trust relationship was violated, and hopefully you can get a discount on any major repairs that the truck needs. And I agree with Rick, be as polite and nice as you can about it.
That's what I would do. I am sure they will do something for you. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-Matt

Old 11-05-2008, 11:50 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Polite persistance has always worked for me. Make them aware of the problem and what your expectations are for resolution. Keep at it even if it requires written appeals to Ford. In this day of emails and voicemails, all companies take a letter very seriously because it takes extra effort to write a well thought out position , buy a stamp and mail a letter. I have never failed to get a reasonable settlement by going this route.

As for single owner, $20 will get you a used vehicle information package from MTO, may be worth it if you suspect the misrepresented the sale.

frank