Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Advice : 95 F-150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 AM
XJeepGuy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying Advice : 95 F-150 4x4

Howdy all !

Since I am a lot more familiar with the older Fords I thought I might ask some advice here . I am looking for a truck to head up into the mountains with my aluminum boat in the back . I found a 95 F-150 with 5.8 , 4x4 . It only has 90,000 original miles on it . Body is really good ! Its an automatic .

Now for the 'but' . The owner says the low range on the transfer case does not work , he never tried it when he bought it and only noticed it didnt work a few weeks after he had it home . Hi range 4x4 and everything works awesome .
Have any of you had or heard of an identical issue ? What could be the issue ?
Where I am going I really need to have the low range at times. Its a nice clean , low mileage truck other than the low range issue .
He is asking $ 4000.00 OBO . Its a Eddie Bauer special , brand new 33" tires and a professionally installed 3" Trailmaster lift kit .

Here is a picture of it ,the trucks dirty in the pic but its actually quite nice .

Appreciate any help ,thanks !

Old 10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks like a nice truck, does it just not shift into 4 lo?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
pc_2000
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried personally to put it in 4x4 Lo? My first guess would be that the shifter is binding and going into Lo position. Because it's not used often and the mechanism gets bound up with dirt, mud, sticks, twigs, etc. When I was looking at the one I bought, I took it to an open parking lot and tried the hub locks, hi and lo range, etc to make sure they all worked. That would be my recommendation to you, first.

If it actually goes into 4Lo then there is definitely another problem.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:07 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
First off, electric or manual? The above post assumes a mechanical transfer case.

You have to be in neutral - not park - to engage 4lo.

Has the truck been re-geared? Because if not, it's going to feel awful sluggish towing anything through the mountains. You would need at least 4.10 gears if you plan on towing with those tires.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:10 PM
XJeepGuy
Senior User
No , I have not been able to test it .I have not been inside of the truck yet .
I'm going to test it out tomorrow and see what I find , so far this is just what the owner has told me . Thats what I thought right aways , the lever is binding against something underneath . I have had transfer cases go on me before and its either 4x4 or no 4x4 no matter what mode. Working in high and not in low is just odd IF its engaging all the way into low range .

Originally Posted by pc_2000
Have you tried personally to put it in 4x4 Lo? My first guess would be that the shifter is binding and going into Lo position. Because it's not used often and the mechanism gets bound up with dirt, mud, sticks, twigs, etc. When I was looking at the one I bought, I took it to an open parking lot and tried the hub locks, hi and lo range, etc to make sure they all worked. That would be my recommendation to you, first.

If it actually goes into 4Lo then there is definitely another problem.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 PM
XJeepGuy
Senior User
Its the stock gearing . Im going to crawl under and check the axle tag tomorrow and see . Yes I agree about the sluggish thing .

Thanks

Originally Posted by andym

Has the truck been re-geared? Because if not, it's going to feel awful sluggish towing anything through the mountains. You would need at least 4.10 gears if you plan on towing with those tires.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 970 Likes on 766 Posts
This may not apply here but on trucks with a body lift the opening in the floor for the 4x4 shift lever may have to be modified as it sometimes restricts lever throw enough to make it impossible to get into 4low. I suspect this truck has a suspension lift but I figured I'd mention it anyway. As others have stated a sticking shift linkage is very common on these trucks and all it needs is some disassembly and lubrication. On trucks with electrical shift there is a shift motor driver module under the dash that can cause problems.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 PM
breisr
Senior User
i had a similar issue with my 93 f-150 and it was because of a body lift.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 PM
breisr
Senior User
probably just restricted. i could get into 4hi no prob.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:36 PM
XJeepGuy
Senior User
Going to be able to check it in the morning . Ok its the electronic version with the switch . He says 4x4 has always worked well but it wont go into 4 low when he hits the button . Find out more tomorrow , thanks all .

There is no body lift on this truck .

XJ

Old 10-25-2008, 03:27 PM
XJeepGuy
Senior User
Well I got to see under the hood and stuff today and check everything out . When you fire it up and with the hubs locked in , push the 4x4 button and it for sure goes into 4 wheel drive . Hit the 4x4 LOW button and nothing happens at all , the little red light doesnt illuminate either besides the button . Dont matter if its in park or neutral or whatever . Theres a definite click when u engage the 4x4 but no click at all with the low button .

Now... I need someone with some knowledge of this setup , please . Im just not familiar with the electronic version . Is there a relay or relays that control the low ? How does that button actually trigger the low mode in the T-case ?

I'll do some searching around but if anyone has any tips or helpful advice at what to look at ,it would be certainly appreciated . It looks like it needs a new water pump too

I could probably get it for 3 grand if I tried .

Thank you

XJ

Anyone have a unlimited Carfax ? VIN 1FTEX14H3SKB33012

Old 10-25-2008, 04:00 PM
88CougarCoupe
Junior User
when I got my truck I never tried 4x4 i took the guys word. he is a neighbor and have known him for years. High would work the hubs locked and couldnt get the shifter to low. so one knight me and a few buddies decided to go get the truck dirty. but needed low just incase. we drove around on the street in high to get the case warm never going fast just to get things moving. sure enough low we had and drove a block or two in low . shifted it and re checked .. low has worked ever since. but this is manual . the switch may be screwed in the electrical unit . happed to my bros wifes 2002 exploder.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:16 PM
XJeepGuy
Senior User
I also ran a car check on it and it had a $ 5000.00 accident claim in 04 so I think I'll possibly pass on this one . Unless he lowers the price considerably .