1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Diamond Plating

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Links_vette
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diamond Plating

Hi guys,
I'm planning on using diamond plating for my running boards and as the bottom of the truck bed; well I was shopping around instead of working, and found this site which seems to be pretty reasonably priced with some pretty cool colors.

I'm probably going with the Black Anodized with a truck color of Candy Apple Red or a slightly darker "Cherry Apple Red" (think its a custom color my paint guy pulled out of his butt). Combine that with some well placed chrome and I'm thinking she'll be a traffic stopper.

Anyway, here is the URL: Aluminum Diamond Plate by the Piece | by diamondLife™

Old 10-24-2008, 03:54 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi-

I have a Lexan polycarbonate bed that is 1/4" thick. I purchased the truck with this bed. I am thinking of replacing the bed with wood or diamond plate.

I noticed from your link that the plate they are selling is thin. What do you plan on using for the plate underlayment, how thick do plan on making it, and what method will you use for attachment to the plate and bed?

Old 10-24-2008, 05:27 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I dopn't see a practical way to attach aluminum plate to stock boards; if you first bought new steel "smoothies" (Sac Vintage Ford has them), you could bolt the plate down and it would be supported by the steel underneath.

I started to repair my stock boards with 1/8" steel diamond plate. I cut out the center ribbed sections. It worked out great but I've shelved them for the time being. The work needed on the rolled edges is too great.

Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Links_vette
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my installation thoughts for the running boards are fairly similar to Albuq's, and simple. My neighbor has a friend who owns a company that works in metal fabrication and diamond plate, so with some beer and a hundred bucks in my hand, their going to build a frame, skin it in cold steel, and then bend and wrap the diamond plate in a box J. The final attachment of the platting was still being discussed between the boys, but they were talking about some sort of weld or black plated bolts.
Now for the bed, this is planned to be even easier... and blast off the limited rust, self etching primer to stop the rust, then a thin coat of roll on bed liner. I want to use the liner as a protectant of the metal and it should be a good base for the plate! Then I should be able to set the plate right down, mark and drill holes using the bed mount holes and bolts. Hopefully - DONE!