1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent vibration/grinding noise from the front end

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:57 AM
LincolnFord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent vibration/grinding noise from the front end

99 F250 SD 4x4 - when driving at any speed everything will be fine and then I'll hit a bump or turn a corner and I'll get a vibration until I hit another bump.....
It's getting progressively worse......first thought is wheel bearing assy....but I thought I'd ask the experts here first for help.
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:55 AM
12ozd
Posting Guru

I would check the front end for loose / worn parts (take a good look at the steering shock / replace)

Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 PM
LincolnFord
New User
Thanks for the advice...I'll check that out.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:37 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
The vibration/grinding when you hit a bump is the classic sign of bad needle bearings - the front axles ride in a needle bearing inside the wheel bearing. They get dry and cause this exact problem. Fix it quick, or the axle stubs will get ruined (if they aren't already).

If you lock the hubs, you can run this way without problems until you get it fixed.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
LincolnFord
New User
Thanks for the help.
Is there a link for instructions on how to fix them?
Thanks in advance....

Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 AM
LincolnFord
New User
Update on noise - I was driving yesterday and everything was the same. For some reason I thought about engaging the 4x4, when I did the noise immediately stopped. I drove in 4x4 for about a mile and switched back and the noise hasn't returned yet.
Does that help any on diagnosis?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
probably need to pull the wheel off and look at those bearing as stated above.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LincolnFord
Update on noise - I was driving yesterday and everything was the same. For some reason I thought about engaging the 4x4, when I did the noise immediately stopped. I drove in 4x4 for about a mile and switched back and the noise hasn't returned yet.
Does that help any on diagnosis?
The needle bearings in the hub don't have a differential rotation against the stub axle in 4wd, they do in 2wd. That would pretty much confirm to me the bearings need changing. However since you have been hearing this noise for a while there is a good possiblity the stub axle is also damaged. This would mean you have to pull the wheel bearing assembly off, remove the stub axle. I would really suggest you replace the wheel bearing hub assembly as a unit and this would include the inner needle bearing. Then replace all the seals to include the large one that holds the vacuum in the wheel hub assembly.

If you are lucky the stub axle might not need replacement but if there is any damage you should replace it.

I just did this on my truck. Fortunately for me is was just the wheel hub bearing ($350 part) and not the stub axle. The cost to replace wheel hub/bearing, seals and NOT the STUB axle is about $475 if you do the work your self.

Best of luck. If you decide to do the job yourself you can PM me for details.

vettdvr

Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by krewat
If you lock the hubs, you can run this way without problems until you get it fixed.
I should said "lock the hubs and see if the noise goes away"

If it does, and going into 4x4 does the same thing (which is NOT recommended on dry pavement!!!!), this is the classic needle bearing problem.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
LincolnFord
New User
Originally Posted by krewat
I should said "lock the hubs and see if the noise goes away"

If it does, and going into 4x4 does the same thing (which is NOT recommended on dry pavement!!!!), this is the classic needle bearing problem.
Is locking the hubs the same as putting it in 4x4?....I was thinking that it was.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:58 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Is locking the hubs the same as putting it in 4x4?....I was thinking that it was.
Yeah, but you don't want to put it in 4x4 on DRY PAVEMENT.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 AM
LincolnFord
New User
Originally Posted by vettdvr
The needle bearings in the hub don't have a differential rotation against the stub axle in 4wd, they do in 2wd. That would pretty much confirm to me the bearings need changing. However since you have been hearing this noise for a while there is a good possiblity the stub axle is also damaged. This would mean you have to pull the wheel bearing assembly off, remove the stub axle. I would really suggest you replace the wheel bearing hub assembly as a unit and this would include the inner needle bearing. Then replace all the seals to include the large one that holds the vacuum in the wheel hub assembly.

If you are lucky the stub axle might not need replacement but if there is any damage you should replace it.

I just did this on my truck. Fortunately for me is was just the wheel hub bearing ($350 part) and not the stub axle. The cost to replace wheel hub/bearing, seals and NOT the STUB axle is about $475 if you do the work your self.

Best of luck. If you decide to do the job yourself you can PM me for details.

vettdvr

vettdvr -
I can't seem to figure out how to PM you....but I would like any info you have on replacing the wheel bearing and stub axle.....i.e. parts needed and numbers, hints, etc.
Thanks in advance!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:03 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vettdvr -
I can't seem to figure out how to PM you....but I would like any info you have on replacing the wheel bearing and stub axle.....i.e. parts needed and numbers, hints, etc.
Thanks in advance!
If you look at the right side top of your screen you will see your login name. Under that you will see Private Messages. Click on that and it will open your message center. Then you can send a PM.

I tried to send you an email off line but your profile is set to no messages therefore I can't email you.

"LincolnFord has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her"

Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Feel free to post information in the open forum - besides, that's what the site is for!

You can't PM anyone with less than 25 posts.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
This will get you far along in the processes. Not sure how easy it is to get the old bearing out and press a new one.

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

Quick Reply: Intermittent vibration/grinding noise from the front end