2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrogen/Water kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 PM
groverman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrogen/Water kits

Has anyone purchased or know someone that has built one of these water/hydrogen kits, they claim 40% better mpg?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:28 AM
JDSTX
New User
Two guys I work with have been at this for some time.
One put it on his Tundra, and has it working to the point were the engine will die if he cuts power to the hydrogen generator. But that is only after he has driven for some time. But that could be the result of messing with various sensors used by the motor's control module.
The other guy has his setup on an older 3/4ton Chevy with the throttle body efi. He is still working on the setup of adjusting for sensor's inputs to the motor's control module. He thinks his generator is not producing enough hydrogen to make a difference.
They both have spent loads of time splicing into the wiring of various sensors in order to install adjustable controls for said sensors. You really need to know how to make your own circuit boards to do this. I might make note that both of them are electronic techs, with experience at making circuit controllers.
I don't think either guy would say they have been totally successful in their quest of better mileage. But they seem to be having fun at it!

Old 10-24-2008, 07:38 AM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can watch people on youtube makeing and uesing theis but i think it mainly a waste of money and time

Old 10-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The HHO stuff doesn't work. It isn't possible. All you will do is break your vehicle.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:09 PM
JDSTX
New User
It can and does work, but it has more benefit and effect in older motors. Carbed or early year efi motors have far simplier electronics and sensors controlling fuel mixture. Fewer sensors to cheat and tweak. And the old analog electronics have set values to control spark and fuel mixture, unable to adjust much for varying loads.
What those kit 'manufacturers' don't tell ya is how much time,effort, and KNOWLEDGE it takes to make it work. They, the makers of these kits, say ya don't need any tech ability, or abilty to construct circuit boards, but ya do. And the time involved in cheating/tweaking what various sensors is where all the work is. Current day motor control electronics will adjust itself for changes in sensor readings, making it all but impossible to get any real performance gains from a simple hydrogen generator noticable. Thats why ya got to reprogram the controller's chips to have more hp over fuel economy.
Alot of work for little gain it seems.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

tell ya what JDSTX...please prove this theory you have

there is only 1 way a HHO will save you gas. and that is by defeating the safeguards of you EFI system, and/or by running the fuel system extremely lean.
Period. Simple. HHO systems do not work. There are people everywhere who spout this HHO crap just like you are doing. A few brave souls try it...and guess what. You don't hear success stories from real people. Only by people looking to sell it.

I personally feel it's because people realize they were stupid and don't want to admit this.

I can guarantee you one thing though...HHO WILL BREAK YOUR MOTOR

EFI: Take a few minutes and actually look at the HHO analytically. 99% of the kits have you install their "Brown Gas" hose after the MAF sensor. By doing this, you are bypassing the MAF and adding unaccounted for air to the engine. This creates a Lean condition.

additionally, many kits have you "adjust" the readout the O2 sensor inputs to the PCM. That is such a stupid idea...and people do. Again, this contributes to a very lean condition.

so yes, the engine does get better MPG...for a short while. Then you'll likely burn a hole in a piston because the engine is running wildy lean.

Carb'd:
Strike 1 - The HHO systems for a Carb'd vehicle usually suggest a Tune-Up first. Most people trash their cars and don't maintain them. This simple act alone can regain you 1-5 mpg depending on vehicle condition

Strike 2 - The HHO systems recommend advancing the timing of a Carb'd vehicle. Just as with an EFI vehicle, this causes a Leaned out condition. It works, for a short time. However the negatives will be more readily apparant sooner with engine run-on (diesel effect).

Both EFI and Carb'd: Do you really think a tiny little tube that is about 1/2" running from a Mason jar to your engine intake can supply enough hydrogen to affect the Air to Fuel Ratio?
I am a Nuclear Mechanic that just transferred from being stationed onboard a Nuclear Power Ballistic Missile Submarine. We use real O2 Generaters to split water into it's Hydrogen and Oxygen components. Using real technology and real physics, it takes days to fill a tank to several thousand PSI with the Oxygen alone. We pump the Hydrogen overboard.

The Navy's system operates under several thousand PSI and is extremely dangerous. We nicknamed it the Bomb. Care to guess why? The unit itself is 1/2 the size of my truck. It is pure ludicrousness to believe you can replicate this process with simple Radio Shack parts, a mason jar and some rubber tubing.

This is a video of my own truck with a Supercharger while idling (same air flow as a stock 5.4 3v...while idling anyways ). I held my hand over the air filter and you can feel that thing sucking. My old Volant was similar before the Forced Induction. There is absolutely no way a HHO system could output even a percentage of the Hydrogen required to alter fuel mileage

YouTube - It's Alive
about the 45 second point.
I'll dig up the link...but there is actually a man offering $1,000,000 to the first person or company who can design, build, and prove their HHO system works.

The requirements aren't exactly hard to meet.

Want to guess how many people have won this $1,000,000 prize?

You guessed it...not a single person. Please stop spouting this HHO crap

Old 10-26-2008, 01:14 AM
HankMurphy
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
tylus wrote:
<snip>
I am a Nuclear Mechanic that just transferred from being stationed onboard a Nuclear Power Ballistic Missile Submarine.

Which boat?

<snip>
I'll dig up the link...but there is actually a man offering $1,000,000 to the first person or company who can design, build, and prove their HHO system works.

Looking forward to seeing this link. Are you sure you aren't thinking about the X prize for the first 100MPG car?

Automotive X Prize Seeks 100-MPG Car | X PRIZE Foundation

Hank Murphy
2008 F150 XL

Old 10-26-2008, 12:26 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Run your car on water? - it's a scam!

A good way to ruin one's credibility believe one's own hype about things which violate the laws of thermodynamics, and should have been learned by the 8th grade, much less by someone who's made it to adulthood.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:24 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JDSTX
It can and does work, but it has more benefit and effect in older motors. Carbed or early year efi motors have far simplier electronics and sensors controlling fuel mixture. Fewer sensors to cheat and tweak. And the old analog electronics have set values to control spark and fuel mixture, unable to adjust much for varying loads.
What those kit 'manufacturers' don't tell ya is how much time,effort, and KNOWLEDGE it takes to make it work. They, the makers of these kits, say ya don't need any tech ability, or abilty to construct circuit boards, but ya do. And the time involved in cheating/tweaking what various sensors is where all the work is. Current day motor control electronics will adjust itself for changes in sensor readings, making it all but impossible to get any real performance gains from a simple hydrogen generator noticable. Thats why ya got to reprogram the controller's chips to have more hp over fuel economy.
Alot of work for little gain it seems.
You have 6 posts to your name two of which are in this thread. And the smilie you posted is for confusion. I would say that you got that part right.

Tylus has thousands of solid, informative posts to his. I think that I'm with Tylus on this one.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by HankMurphy
Which boat?
USS Kentucky, SSBN 737

Looking forward to seeing this link. Are you sure you aren't thinking about the X prize for the first 100MPG car?
nope, I meant $1,000,000 for the first person to prove their HHO system works. FTE Ken posted the link already
bold stuff

Originally Posted by shorebird
Tylus has thousands of solid, informative posts to his. I think that I'm with Tylus on this one.
thanks, but I've been known to spout some crap as well.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:24 AM
JDSTX
New User
Ya'll are cracking me up here. Gee, didn't mean to **** in your Wheaties. I didn't reply to goverman's thread to start a pissin' match here, ya'll seem real anxious to jump on a newbie (to this site) around here.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'd expect this sort of treatment from Chevy owners! LOL
I responded with a lit' reply about 2 guys I work with that have messed with this, one seems to have success, the other now knows he has spent alot of time and effort with no results.
Look at my last line in my 1st reply..alot of work for little gain. I'm not about to spend any time fooling with these generator thingies, got much better things to do with my freetime.
Tylus, I NEVER said I had a theory, so please don't try to put words in my mouth. I wasn't 'spouting' about this stuff either, I know it's a waste of time for the most part.
Oh, it seems like since I only have a few posts on this website then I don't know anything? If thats how some of ya'll want to think, OK by me. I may not be the fastest boat on the water, but I'll get to the finish line eventually!
Multiply replys on 1 thread does not increase your posts count Shorebird. Most websites posts counts are that way.

Ya'll have a good one.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:16 AM
JDSTX
New User
<!-- I wasn't gonna respond to this thread anymore but I just read what FTE Ken wrote. And you being an 'administrator' I'm a lit' suprised at your response. You are a representative of this site.
I know this will get me banned from here, and I don't really give a ratsazz, but let me say....

FTE Ken GO *****YOURSELF AZZHOLE.

Now kick me off the site, I don't care. I didn't come here to pick fights, but ya'll have shown your true colors.

I'm outta here..... -->

Inappropriate comments removed by admin.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
JDSTX,

When one is attacking people with cusswords and character defamation, they shouldn't be doing it from work especially when the IP address is traceable to an office's geographic location..

I suggest you use the site's support ticket system, hat in hands.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:42 AM
corinthfireman408
Junior User
I just saw this on the news. Don't know if he is full of it or not but it is interesting.

Man credits hydrogen system with fuel savings :: WRAL.com

Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

every time I see one of these threads, it makes my head want to

I know times are desperate, but c'mon people. Common sense applies. It's scary that people fall for this Snake Oil tactic and then defend the idiocy so much.
Originally Posted by JDSTX
<!-- I wasn't gonna respond to this thread anymore but I just read what FTE Ken wrote. And you being an 'administrator' I'm a lit' suprised at your response. You are a representative of this site.
I know this will get me banned from here, and I don't really give a ratsazz, but let me say....

FTE Ken GO *****YOURSELF AZZHOLE.

Now kick me off the site, I don't care. I didn't come here to pick fights, but ya'll have shown your true colors.

I'm outta here..... -->

Inappropriate comments removed by admin.
wow...rather extreme response

as Ken said, a rather stupid thing to do while using a Work Computer. Wonder if he was using a Gov't computer. If so, he can lose his job over that comment...and after reading that post, it seems perhaps deserved

Originally Posted by corinthfireman408
I just saw this on the news. Don't know if he is full of it or not but it is interesting.

Man credits hydrogen system with fuel savings :: WRAL.com
that seems to support my side of the argument more IMO. You can take any vehicle get insane MPG. the question is how long will the vehicle remain functional...especially when operating so far outside of design parameters.