Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to mount front tow hooks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 PM
94MustangGT
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into putting some tow hooks on the front for recovery purposes( stuff happens .) Onlt really need one. Suggestions? Pics? Thanks guys.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:51 AM
dave2
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just make sure you mount them to the frame and use your own judgement as far as location. If you have the clearance, mountine them on the side of the frame with the hook opening slanted upward will help keep the chain in place when it slacks up.

Dave

Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
i got the same truck i just plunked a hook up behind the bumper theres brackets that face out to the sides see if you can find a hook that will work in there

Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
guess your gonna use them for pulling people out huh

Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 AM
94MustangGT
Elder User
^ Yep, somebody is going to get pulled out...

So, anything bolted to the frame will be safe and secure? Should I go with a 2 or 3 bolt hook?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:59 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
well if you look under the front end behind the bumper right off the frame theres a bracket (basically a big piece of angle iron) thats welded right to outside of the frame i use that and it holds well and i wouldnt be worried by drilling/welding on it and theres one on both sides so you can put it where you want it

Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
On a chevy....

seriously.

The chevy front end frame (S/T/C/K/E/V models) is reinforced (twice as thick, boxed, 2 times as thick front cross member) to support this operation.

the ford frame is notoriously weak in front of the engine cross member and any forces placed on it WILL bend the frame.

I did not say MIGHT

I did not say COULD

I said WILL.

Partially good news is that you can bend it back with a CWOUS (crescent wrench of unusual size)

Does not matter what size F series truck this is - all weak weak weak

But if you are gonna do it anyways, find an old scrapped plow for a ford and cut off the frame mount and weld it to your truck. then at least you can say you made the effort.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by quaddriver
On a chevy....

seriously.

The chevy front end frame (S/T/C/K/E/V models) is reinforced (twice as thick, boxed, 2 times as thick front cross member) to support this operation.

the ford frame is notoriously weak in front of the engine cross member and any forces placed on it WILL bend the frame.

I did not say MIGHT

I did not say COULD

I said WILL.

Partially good news is that you can bend it back with a CWOUS (crescent wrench of unusual size)

But if you are gonna do it anyways, find an old scrapped plow for a ford and cut off the frame mount and weld it to your truck. then at least you can say you made the effort.
How is it that snow plow equipped F series apparently dont have problems with frame bending?? I would think that the stresses of plowing snow with a big blade and deep snow would have the same or almost the same stresses as vehicle recovery when using tow hooks on F series.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 PM
dave2
Senior User
Originally Posted by quaddriver
On a chevy....

seriously.

I did not say MIGHT

I did not say COULD

I said WILL.

Exactly.
Fords have the big heavy rear bumpers and chevy's have the reinforced front frames. Guess chevy knew the destiny......

Old 10-22-2008, 09:34 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by dave2
Exactly.
Fords have the big heavy rear bumpers .....
they do? the same company makes nearly all the bumpers for all domestic trucks and I can tweak them by kicking them. read: cheap crap

Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by phoneman91
How is it that snow plow equipped F series apparently dont have problems with frame bending??
they dont? that would be news to us up north (point be known, plowing affects in a negative way all trucks but hit a chunk of ice off center with the blade straight and you will bend the entire front frame to the opposite side 3-4 inches. except for the torture bar front springs, the chevy frame is a much stronger setup.- partly because why torture bars are needed the chevy front axle is a stressed member which adds lateral and torsional rigidity over a ford. )

but by any means, never take my word for it. just climb underneath a few trucks and check it out for yourselves.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:18 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
i still would NOT buy a chev they only reinforced the front end so it could stand up to the numerous tugs performed by a ford

Old 10-23-2008, 07:15 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5
i still would NOT buy a chev they only reinforced the front end so it could stand up to the numerous tugs performed by a ford
yup and they usually come with front tow hooks on them-so we can drag em out when they get stuck

Old 10-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Ford-Trucker84537
Senior User
chevy doesnt and it says right in the manual that they do not recomend their trucks for plowing purposes, wonder why that is, cause of their weak front ends, a arms suck, at least ford puts a real axle under their old F.series, a arms are good on 4 wheelers and cars, but thats bout it, btw i had a 91 f.150 with a home made winch bumper and a warn 12,000 lb winch, ive parked sideways on the road and pulled people out of ditches which are at a lower point than my truck and my receiver in the back chained to a tree and my frame was as straight the day i sold it as it was when it rolled off the assembly line, if ford figured these trucks would get stuck they would have put factory tow hooks on them btw pi$$ on chevy

Old 10-23-2008, 06:01 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Ford-Trucker84537
chevy doesnt and it says right in the manual that they do not recomend their trucks for plowing purposes, wonder why that is, cause of their weak front ends, a arms suck, at least ford puts a real axle under their old F.series, a arms are good on 4 wheelers and cars, but thats bout it, btw i had a 91 f.150 with a home made winch bumper and a warn 12,000 lb winch, ive parked sideways on the road and pulled people out of ditches which are at a lower point than my truck and my receiver in the back chained to a tree and my frame was as straight the day i sold it as it was when it rolled off the assembly line, if ford figured these trucks would get stuck they would have put factory tow hooks on them btw pi$$ on chevy

Quick Reply: Best place to mount front tow hooks?