Sponsored by:

4Lo broken--HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-1999, 02:20 PM
nissanjon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Lo broken--HELP!

for some reason, my 4Lo doesn't want to stay in gear. i can put it into gear, but the lever just pops out into neutral. i do have a 2" body lift, and i've been told that the lift will cause the body to get in the way of the lever, so i'd have to cut out some metal to give room for the lever. this does not appear to be the case,however. i checked, and there is plenty of room for the lever, but is just doesn't want to stay in gear.
has this ever happened to anyone? and if so, what was the problem, and how can it be fixed.

by the way, i did take the truck off road, and wheeled just fine in 4Hi and 1st gear. is that bad for the truck

Old 09-17-1999, 05:41 AM
Chuck P.
Elder User
4Lo broken--HELP!

Nissanjon,
If you have a parttime t-case, sometimes the rods, linkages that go into the case will sometimes loosen and become out of alignment. There is usually 2 rods that contol the position/gear selection. It sounds like you might have to check the "throw" of the rods when shifted to 4-Lo. If you can hold it in lo range and it works, the problem may be it needs a slight adjustment. If the case won't go past neutral then it may be a shift fork bent or broken. This means taking the case apart to repair. This could also be the same even if you have to hold it in with the proper rod adjustment. As far as wheelin' in 4-Hi, I do it all the time, just understand that it will be harder on the trans if its an auto, and you don't want to push it to hard in general, I sometimes prefer to run 4-Hi, just depends on the conditions. A good manual will give measurements for setting the correct position of the rods when in different modes. Let me know what you find.
Chuck P.

One other note, one of the rods may be bent, this could also cause the same type of problem.

Old 09-17-1999, 09:17 AM
nissanjon
Senior User
4Lo broken--HELP!

yeah, it works when i hold it in gear, but it still likes to pop out. i'm taking it into the shop next week, and i'll have them check it out.

thanks

Old 09-20-1999, 02:10 PM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
4Lo broken--HELP!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:41 PM
kickingber
Senior User
just my 2 cents

sometimes when a bodylift is installed it can cause the shift lever boot to be pulled tight in certian gears(4hi, 4lo, ect.) and cause the t case to jump out of gear.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:11 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kickingber
sometimes when a bodylift is installed it can cause the shift lever boot to be pulled tight in certian gears(4hi, 4lo, ect.) and cause the t case to jump out of gear.

Decent idea, and perhaps,,,,,,,,well, maybe you should know that this is a 10 year old thread........................
10 years...........

Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 AM
fordtrucknut
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old Thread...LOL

I know this is an old thread...but... My uncle's 1977 F-150 4x4 Shorty has popped out of 4-Lo since it was Brand Spanking New...He took it to the dealer several times back then and they could never fix it. I don't know the insides of T-Cases well or I'd be able to help him get it straight. It's the 205 as well!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:01 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A 205 that pops out of gear is a case that is not engaged, or the stick is binding on something that kicks it out.
4 lo requires the factory stick to be pulled all thae way back, and often the cab / body will not permot this. Any movement of the body will kick the shifter out of gear.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:25 PM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 75F350
Decent idea, and perhaps,,,,,,,,well, maybe you should know that this is a 10 year old thread........................
10 years...........

Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 PM
oldirtytruck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably doesn't even own that truck anymore

Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Yeaaah. Doesn't do much good yanking up posts from 10 years ago.

Hell I didn't even know you could do that. :P

Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 PM
kickingber
Senior User
Sorry, didn't relise I would be stoned to death. I thought since nobody had posted my answer it might help someone.. someday who happen to be having a similar problem. It never dawned on me that it was not possible for anybody to have the same problem...EVER... Till the end of time. Guess it makes more sense to just let other members just start another trend everytime they have a question like a Dana 60 sas swap. sorry my bad, I'm not the strongest mechanic on the block, just thought I would try to help where I could, guess it's smarter to keep my mouth shut. I'll try not to let it happen again.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM
oldirtytruck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, didn't relise I would be stoned to death. I thought since nobody had posted my answer it might help someone.. someday who happen to be having a similar problem. It never dawned on me that it was not possible for anybody to have the same problem...EVER... Till the end of time. Guess it makes more sense to just let other members just start another trend everytime they have a question like a Dana 60 sas swap. sorry my bad, I'm not the strongest mechanic on the block, just thought I would try to help where I could, guess it's smarter to keep my mouth shut. I'll try not to let it happen again.

....? Its all good

Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Matt983
Senior User
<br />
<br />
With a name like "Nissanjon" I can kinda see why nobody helped you out.. lol j/k

Anyways my first thoughts when I read the post and saw your recent addition was that some "noob" (sorry) had inadvertently dug up an ancient thread since you changed your screename since then. That's probably why you got the negative attention.
Now that you clarified though it makes sense lol.
I'm curious too.. lol do you still have that truck?

Cheers

Old 04-16-2009, 11:47 AM
kickingber
Senior User
I am a "noob", I guess?.... I'm not "Nissanjon"... I don't know who he is. I'm just a guy trying to learn a little without asking a bunch of questions that have already been ask or answered, I figured the best way to do this would be to start at the oldest post and start reading my way foward. I came across this question and remembered a friend of mine had a problem with his transfer "popping" out of gear. After a lot of wasted time it turned out that the shifter boot was pulled tight due to body lift... Just seen this post and said "hey here is a problem I may be able to help with" There aren't many I can help with so I figured I would give my 2 cents. I didn't relise I wasn't suspossed to answer old questions. I never got the memo. It won't happen again.

Quick Reply: 4Lo broken--HELP!