1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Stage 1's are in with no change

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM
otpracer100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 1's are in with no change

Well, I got the injectors rebuilt and installed. Now that this is done it takes longer for the truck to start. There is no difference than before. If I'm on a flat road,with my superchips on high perf I can get up to 70mph. There are lots of hills around here and any slight incline she's all done. If I put it to the floor while going up hill it will down shift and hover at about 2300rpm then the rpms will drop. Feels like it is defueling or something. I think I'm gonna have to take it to a local diesel shop and have them scan it. Which way is the ebpv in the open position? I want to make sure it is actually open and I really don't want to remove the dp to check it. Any other thoughts? Thanks

Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your superchips is the problem, i bet if you got rid of it and got some custom tuning from tony wildman or jody from dptuner you'd be fine... stage 1s will not gain ANY performance increase from a generic tuner because they have the same size nozzles as a stock injector and therefore will not flow any extra fuel without custom tuning

Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 AM
otpracer100
Senior User
That's not my concern at this time. The truck has'nt been running right. That's why I rebuilt the injectors. I also replaced the map sensor. I've got other posts on here,I don't know how to put a link up here.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
sorry i haven't been on this site a lot lately, i just read over what's been happening with your truck and at the time i would've agreed with what everyone else said about injector o-rings... are you sure all the injectors seated? i'm not sure what would happen if one didn't but i'm assuming it would have some leaks that would be kind of like an injector o-ring leak... do you have any way to check ICP and IPR #s to check the HPOP?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:38 AM
otpracer100
Senior User
How do you check the level of the hpop? I'm wondering if this is a potential problem at higher rpms? I'm grasping at straws here. I really need to get this thing fixed. Thanks

Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by otpracer100
How do you check the level of the hpop? I'm wondering if this is a potential problem at higher rpms? I'm grasping at straws here. I really need to get this thing fixed. Thanks
you can check the HPOP resevoir by using an allen key to open the top, the resevoir is in front and above the HPOP, it looks like basically a big metal container kinda... hard to explain.. but it does not look like it would hold oil... you should be able to shine a light in there and see it, the oil should be right at the top... and if you have a scanner that can read ICP and IPR functions then you can see the psi that the HPOP is running.. mine runs 700-800 at idle in all my tunes and gets over 3000 when i'm WOT and levels out at about 3000 while WOT for a couple seconds... this is with a 17* HPOP from the newer 7.3s... if yours levels out anywhere below 2300 i'd say that could definitely be your problem

Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 AM
JCart
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
optracer100,

How many miles on your rig? Stage 1's will only behave as stock until you change the program files that "drive" the injectors. When I had a superchips "custom programed" flip chip (by them) it was ok....when I switched to Tony Wildman programs there was a HUGE.....change like a different truck....

Your HPOP may not be getting enough oil to the new injectors....you can make up a simple pressure tester by getting some hydraulic hose (high pressure) and a gauge that reads to 4000 psi. Then plumb it into the head and go for a drive, this will give you an overall impression of how the high pressure oil system is running. If you want to test the HPOP then plumb directly to the pump and plug the other outlet.

It will hard start until all the air is out of the system....once out if it hard starts when it is at operating temp then I would look at your IPR and get a rebuild kit for it.

As a first step should get any codes read and deleted out of your PCM, is your superchips a chip or programer?

keeps us informed.

jrc

Old 10-20-2008, 12:09 PM
otpracer100
Senior User
Jcart, it's a programmer.I'm not worried about getting all the power out of the injectors right now. The truck ran like crap before I changed the inj. I ran it with out the programmer hooked up, so it runs like chit with it hooked up or not. I need to get it sorted out before I worry about getting the most out of my injectors. I'm gonna have to take it somewhere to get it scanned as I don't have access to a scanner myself. There is a diesel shop not too far from here. I may take it there and see what they say.

Glasseater, all the injectors seemed to seat right. I hit them with a mallet until they bottomed out. I can't get the allen bolt out of the hpop. I'm gonna have to give it some more effort.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Core250PSD
Senior User
I had a similar problem not to long ago. I would be driving along and my truck would start to dog out up the slightest grade my RPM's would not go up no matter how hard I trompted on it. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Check the valley right after a hard drive.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 PM
otpracer100
Senior User
The fuel pump is good. It's getting plenty of fuel.It blows tons of white smoke above 2500rpms. I know it's unburned fuel,I just can't figure out why.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know you changed the MAP, but do you get boost? Can you hear the turbo spool up around 1800 RPM? Did you check MAP hose for condition .. clogged up, cracked, etc.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:40 PM
otpracer100
Senior User
Hose is good. Turbo spools up fine. I don't have a gauge, but the turbo sounds normal.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:29 PM
otpracer100
Senior User
I took the map hose off and started it and now the cel does'nt come on like it used to. I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by otpracer100
The fuel pump is good. It's getting plenty of fuel.It blows tons of white smoke above 2500rpms. I know it's unburned fuel,I just can't figure out why.

White smoke??? Are you sure you typed that right? If your seeing WHITE smoke, you have problems. If your getting plenty of fuel, it will be black, as I am hoping that you meant to say.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 PM
otpracer100
Senior User
Nope, bluish-white smoke smells like unburned fuel

Quick Reply: Stage 1's are in with no change