1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Identification help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:39 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Identification help...

Hi Everyone,
While here on vacation visiting my son, we discovered an enormous collection of cars and trucks fron the 30's up to the 70's. We found the place by accident while we were on an outing with the wives, so we really weren't dressed or equipped to go through the collection. There are supposed to be about 120 old Ford trucks in there and I saw many in the range of '48 to 56 just while I was talking to the owner out in the front area. We made an appointment to go back this coming Saturday and take a good long look at what he has and maybe strike a deal or two.

These trucks are in various states of condition. Some are missing parts and others are really too far gone to restore. I ntend to photgraoh all items of interest and take notes on then for future reference. I would appreciate it if there is any advice or help I could get from you folks regarding ways to determine the year model of some of the stuff that is missing peices that would otherwise indicate the year. I am only familiar with the location of the serial number plate on the '53. So, any tips on this would help.

As I said, there is stuff in this place from the 30's and up, so if any of you guys are looking for something it might just be here. am not at liberty to divulge the location of this place, so please don't ask. Let's just say it's in the South and leave it at that. It takes a while to establish a good relationship with people in these situations. For reasons that are not all together obvious at first, these people guard their privacy. I think they know thay have something and they are sick and tired of thieves and people looking to rip them off. Now that I too am an old geezer I am able to understand where they are coming from and why they are as they are.

Later Folks...

Old 10-13-2008, 01:01 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great find. I would be interested in any old wreckers u may see. I would just take pics of the front and some one on here will give you the years. I don't know if that is a big help or not but it will be worth the trip to see your son and a bonus of finding the place you did!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:01 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ksmith203
Great find. I would be interested in any old wreckers u may see. I would just take pics of the front and some one on here will give you the years. I don't know if that is a big help or not but it will be worth the trip to see your son and a bonus of finding the place you did!
It will be worth the trip back there to just stand in the presence of hundreds of old relics. Laugh if you like, but I have always felt that those old hulks give of a certain aura. I can't really describe it but I know I feel something.

I did see what I think is a '53 or '54 panel truck that I am keen on dealing on if it turns out to be worth rebuilding. I'll have to craw over some stuff to get to it though. If I deal it will have to be on the contingency that he keeps it until I get back down here with the trailer. This time down I have the Camper and I don't think I can squeeze that truck in there.

I don't know if there are any old wreckers there or not, but if there is, I'll let you know.

I will be taking lots of pictures and I will be posting some on one of my websites. BTW, my home is in Marietta Ohio so we are only about 100 miles apart.

Later Man...

Dave

Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Well, it ain't my backyard, lol. Anyway, one thought is to just look inside the glove box for the serial number. The other thing is to look for vertical grills. The taller ones were later 30's, the shorter ones were early 40's.. As we know, the 48 and newer are horizontal. my .02

Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Dave,

Take pictures of the front grille and hood side...like from about the 2 o'clock position. Be sure to get grille hood side and fender wells. On some trucks there was no obvious difference bteween one or two years (ie 49 and 50 I think). Or just take group shots and post them here so we can look. Between everyone, we ought to be able to label them all.

J!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:13 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Hi Dave,

Take pictures of the front grille and hood side...like from about the 2 o'clock position. Be sure to get grille hood side and fender wells. On some trucks there was no obvious difference bteween one or two years (ie 49 and 50 I think). Or just take group shots and post them here so we can look. Between everyone, we ought to be able to label them all.

J!
Hi Julie,
I wasn't sure that all the plates were in the glove box bak past my '53. What I would like to know is if there is a way to determine the years from the serial numbers back through the 30's. I guess I'll be trying to record serial numbers and keep them straight with the pictures.

Later...

Old 10-13-2008, 09:21 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by havi
Well, it ain't my backyard, lol. Anyway, one thought is to just look inside the glove box for the serial number. The other thing is to look for vertical grills. The taller ones were later 30's, the shorter ones were early 40's.. As we know, the 48 and newer are horizontal. my .02
Thanks Scott,
I kind of wish it was my backyard. My wife wouldn't care for it but I think I could get to love it. Hopefully I can establish a working relationship with this guy. It would be a great way to establish a a way to combine the parts and vehicle business with the pleasure of getting to visit my son on a reglar basis.

Later Man...