Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body lift costs?

Old 12-13-2001, 11:05 PM
airwulf
New User
body lift costs?

I tried to get a 3" body lift installed on my 83 bronco today, and i was quoted $350 on account of a lengthening of the driveshaft. I'm pretty limited, as there arent many off-road shops in my area, and I can't do it myself. Is this price right, and does anyone agree with this driveshaft lengthening? I've never read anything about having to do that, and its not in the directions included with the lift.
Thanks.

Old 12-15-2001, 12:03 PM
cpnhgnjnky
Elder User
body lift costs?

I have installed body lifts in about fifteen different trucks and have never had to lenghten a drive shaft,,EVER. Its easy just unbolting inserting and rebolting, well thats what it boils down to. You lift the cab of the vehicle off the frame, it has nothing to do with the driveshaft. The only things it affects are the steering linkage and the radiator mainly. I think I would call them back and make sure they are for real. I am in utter awe over such a thing. I mean make sure that is what they are really saying. Get a solid explanation as to why the driveshaft would be affected, then if you would e-mail me that excuse I have got to hear that one. My address is jrjohnson717(No Email Addresses In Posts!). If they are serious Then I would call the Better Business Bereau and talk with them. I am a licensed mechanic and hearing stuff like that makes me so mad I could scream. Its people like that that make it hard for people like me to get business, man this makes me sick. Anyways, give them a call and double check. Let me know how it turns out please. I wish I could help, but I live in Germany.

cpnhgnjnky
95 Eddie Bauer Supercab F-150 w/ 5.8L
MSD6AL ign MSD distributor
Heddman shorty headers
Flomaster Exhaust 40 series
3" body lift 6" Superlift
36" Explorer Pro-Comps
Kenwood sounds w/ complete custom stereo(4 tens)
and so much more on its way

Old 12-15-2001, 11:12 PM
85351ho
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
body lift costs?

the driveshaft is not at all affected with a body lift, only with a susp lift, maybe they were talking about the steering shaft that connects to the steering box. that sometimes has to be lengthened because the body is lifted away from the frame and the steering shaft connects from the body to the frame

Old 12-23-2001, 01:17 AM
rebelbob
Senior User
body lift costs?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Dec-01 AT 02:27 AM (EST)]hey you sound like me i had the same problem a guy put my body lift on for me and i helped him he charged me 300 dollers and it took us from like 10 am to 7 pm and the drive shaft will be fine you wont have to make it longer thats for the suspenshion lift.anyway though be carefull this guy messed up my lift and put most of the bolts in the wrong palces now im pretty mad at him he also cut out some of the rubbers under the cab and now it makes a heck of a loud sound when i go over bumps and holes and things.i also have to report him the the dmv here where i am casue he does not want to fix it . now i have to get a friend of mine to help me fix what he messed up so take it from me make sure this guy has done body lifts before casue this guy told me he did them before and i think he lied just to get the money so be very carefull.also its not all that easy to do if you never done a body lift before trust me man i was helping the guy out and it would help a great deal if you have air tools and another guy to help you out also to hold the wrench on the other end. also you will have to lower you radiator which isnt to hard to do and also you will need to raise your bumpers cause they will be to low the kit comes with brackets, so take it from me take your time and get some help with it try to find a guy who has a body lift on his truck to do it who has done one before and help him with it so the next time you can do it.welp thats about all for now good luck and let me know how you make out,,peace.

Old 12-23-2001, 01:11 PM
Skottt
Junior User
body lift costs?

:-staun They're trying to pull a fast one on you man. There's no way you'd need to lengthen the drive shaft for a body lift.

Scott

Old 12-27-2001, 07:41 AM
swirk
Senior User
body lift costs?

I did the 3" body lift on my F150. It is not a hard job. Get a buddy, a couple of hydraulic jacks, a propane torch (to heat up the bolts and burn off any locktite), some air tools, and beer. Takes about 10 hours and looks great!! Didn't touch the driveshaft, only problem that I had was with the shifters on the tranny and transfer case (I wanted the stock look to the interior, lift kit requires some floor cutting around stick shifter and tranfser case). $350 is crazy and he is ripping you off telling you it is because of the driveshaft.

Old 01-01-2002, 01:14 PM
AZ4x4f150
Elder User
body lift costs?

the only shaft that MIGHT need to be lenghtened is your shift linkage if you have a automatic trans but the kits usaully comes with what you need to do that. And as a side note if you want to do a body lift the right way install new body mount bushings along with the body lift blocks. If you don't you are stacking new on top of old bushings. I installed a set of Daystar urethanee body mount bushings when I did mine and it acyually raised the body just under 4" because the old rubber mounts on my 1982 F150 were old and compressed. :-)