Sponsored by:

What's It Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 09:30 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
What's It Worth?

So it's time to let my 2003 Eddie Bauer leave the flock. Bought an F250 yesterday so it's time to sadly say goodbye.

My question is what's it actually worth? Studded and deleted 6.0 with a catback exhaust and gutted cat 212,500 miles. Interior is in great shape aside from the front passenger seat. Exterior is in good condition aside from the rockers and front/rear bumpers. I did everything in my power to keep them clean but Ohio loves salt and they are shot. I have removed the steps for the time being as they were not sturdy enough to trust but they would be included in the sale.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts, and thanks for your time.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:04 AM
copsey
More Turbo
A few other things I forgot to put in the OP, 18" HD wheels powder coated black, and ProComp 4" lift per recommendations here. Also has Firestone airbags in rear.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:20 AM
Antonm23
More Turbo
Received 284 Likes on 203 Posts
Unfortunately I think the rust will dictate the selling price more than the lift, wheels, tires, or other add-ons. It's hard to price vehicles with rust, for me living in Texas where rust is almost a foreign concept (unless you live on the beach), thats a parts truck. In Ohio (where I assume you live based off the license plates), that's probably what every vehicle that's 20 years old looks like so the market might be more tolerant of rust.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-03-2024, 11:55 AM
oharal
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Yeah tough call. Excursion with relatively low miles but modded with rust and a 6.0... I tried to buy a car on a whim last year to take on a trip to Deal's Gap with some friends for 7k. I was happy to pay the price but I figured I'd try to get him down to 6 or something. Turned out the car had lived its whole life in WI and was a rust bucket. It went from 6-7k in my mind to just $6.00 instantly. We don't have rust here in SC so cars with any rust are virtually worthless.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:34 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Antonm23
Unfortunately I think the rust will dictate the selling price more than the lift, wheels, tires, or other add-ons. It's hard to price vehicles with rust, for me living in Texas where rust is almost a foreign concept (unless you live on the beach), thats a parts truck. In Ohio (where I assume you live based off the license plates), that's probably what every vehicle that's 20 years old looks like so the market might be more tolerant of rust.
Originally Posted by oharal
Yeah tough call. Excursion with relatively low miles but modded with rust and a 6.0... I tried to buy a car on a whim last year to take on a trip to Deal's Gap with some friends for 7k. I was happy to pay the price but I figured I'd try to get him down to 6 or something. Turned out the car had lived its whole life in WI and was a rust bucket. It went from 6-7k in my mind to just $6.00 instantly. We don't have rust here in SC so cars with any rust are virtually worthless.

Yeah, unfortunately that is life in the northern states. That's also why I bought an aluminum bodied truck and my wife has a new Expedition with the aluminum body. I'm done with putting 40+ hours into vehicles every year just to have them rust anyway.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:04 PM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Received 552 Likes on 425 Posts
to me,
it is has rust, the value is zero.
it is a parts truck for stuff above the frame

Old 04-04-2024, 10:15 PM
callforfire
Tuned
Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
Plus asking in an excursion forum, where we already have ours... you're just showing vultures some choice, obsolete, parts.
What would you want for those second row seats? just as an example...

Old 04-05-2024, 07:09 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Let's see pics of the new to you F250...

Christmas camping in Pine Mountain.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:41 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Originally Posted by callforfire
Plus asking in an excursion forum, where we already have ours... you're just showing vultures some choice, obsolete, parts.
What would you want for those second row seats? just as an example...
Hadn't thought of a part out....probably $1800 for the set from cruising eBay. That would be $200-$600 less than listed there.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:44 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Originally Posted by mecdac
Let's see pics of the new to you F250...

Christmas camping in Pine Mountain.

Thats the new ride.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:02 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
honestly the rust utterly devastates the value. I sold my 2000 V-10 XLT with 91k miles for only $4k because of rust. It had much less than yours shows. Mine only had rust in the rear door corners. Pristine body otherwise. Your engine offsets that to a degree and adds some value back. what's the mileage?
Personally, I'd be at max $5-6k. Assuming the rest is in good shape and all the little bits work. For a beater/driver.

if the frame and other bits are rusted up as well or if it has other issues, she's really only worth parting out. sadly.
Originally Posted by John in OkieLand
it is has rust, the value is zero.
I used to never understand that. Until I bought a CT truck. Whoa boy, I was spoiled rotten with my Texas trucks

Old 04-05-2024, 12:56 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Tylus
honestly the rust utterly devastates the value. I sold my 2000 V-10 XLT with 91k miles for only $4k because of rust. It had much less than yours shows. Mine only had rust in the rear door corners. Pristine body otherwise. Your engine offsets that to a degree and adds some value back. what's the mileage?
Personally, I'd be at max $5-6k. Assuming the rest is in good shape and all the little bits work. For a beater/driver.

if the frame and other bits are rusted up as well or if it has other issues, she's really only worth parting out. sadly.

I used to never understand that. Until I bought a CT truck. Whoa boy, I was spoiled rotten with my Texas trucks
That's what bothers me so much about it, the frame has a light brown color to it but not a single bubble, just the rockers and door lowers.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. I've got a friend or two that's wanted to buy it so I'll see if they are still interested and if not onto Facebook it goes.

Old 04-09-2024, 04:19 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts
Like everyone else has said, rust is what busts the value. If you're not in a rush to sell it, it may be worth it to replace the rockers on an otherwise clean truck.

I paid 21k for my rust free 6.0 excursion with 172k, and it was a "never think about it again" no brainer considering I looked for years up in the northeast and it was already studded and tuned.

Old 04-09-2024, 04:22 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 301 Likes on 238 Posts
Let the market tell you what it's worth, I say list it in a few places, and have "reasonable offer" attached to the sale description and see where it goes...

Old 04-09-2024, 07:21 PM
4Kids
Tuned
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion
Let the market tell you what it's worth, I say list it in a few places, and have "reasonable offer" attached to the sale description and see where it goes...
Agreed. Every vehicle is somewhat different with pros and cons and different local/regional market demand. Q: What's it worth? A: Exactly what you sell it for.

If you just want entertainment, then get in line and ask this question on one of the Facebook diesel excursion pages. About every other post is this very question. Some people are convinced (and trying to convince others) they are worth more now than 20 years ago.

Quick Reply: What's It Worth?