2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break in oil - when to change

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'If you find there is more than a teaspoon of metal present in the filter's paper element, then you will know you got a real problem on your hands.'

My good man, if an oil filter contained a TEASPOON of ferric metal each oil change, the engine would be trash in short order.

'On your first oil change drain the oil into a clean pan and inspect what comes out. It will usually have the appearance of metal flake paint.'

This would only be true in a severely damaged engine that was not going to be running much longer. Really, gentlemen, where are you guys getting this crap?

Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 AM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Inspect what comes out on the first oil change. Take a sample, send it out for analysis and see what the report tells you.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:12 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by 1saxman
'If you find there is more than a teaspoon of metal present in the filter's paper element, then you will know you got a real problem on your hands.'

My good man, if an oil filter contained a TEASPOON of ferric metal each oil change, the engine would be trash in short order.

'On your first oil change drain the oil into a clean pan and inspect what comes out. It will usually have the appearance of metal flake paint.'

This would only be true in a severely damaged engine that was not going to be running much longer. Really, gentlemen, where are you guys getting this crap?
Thank you sir! Some of the ideas that are being spewed about "break-in oil" will scare the daylights out of a person that is not in complete control of his / her faculties.

No car builder is going to place an engine in a vehicle that has never been run. In this day and age and in my humble opinion, engine failure due to poor lubruication is rare, engine failure due to poor maintanence may be another story.

I've been driving for over 30 years. I've owned 18 vehicles of Honda, GM and Ford vintage over that time frame. No matter which vehicle, new or used, the oil is very dark in color at the change interval. I have over 100k on my Taurus and 60k on my Expy, both bought new as was most others and I change my oil every 12k miles using mobil 1 extended performance oil 5w-20. My engines are quiet, powerful and exceptionally good on gas and my oil is dark as hell at 5000 miles. The oil is NOT gritty and a maget doesn't reveal an abnormal amount of metal. I have followed this same pratice since 1995 and have never had any internal engine problems or oil leaks.

Yes these new engines are being built with tighter clearances blah, blah, blah but if you examine your owners manual, you'll note that over the years maintanence intervals have expanded from 3k to 5k plus. Engines are built better that ever and lubricants that protect likewise are better than ever.

Whew!

Tim

Old 09-24-2008, 07:28 AM
jsoko
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
my brother (FORD mech.) says change filter only at 500mi. then oil&filter at1K and again at 1.5K then every 3K. oh well I drive a black truck he has a white truck

Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 AM
jsoko
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
(Sorry DEJA VU or brain fart) my brother (FORD mech.) says change filter only at 500mi. then oil&filter at 1K then again at 1.5K then every 3K oh well I have a black truck he has white

Last edited by jsoko; 09-24-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: cancel delet