6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Mileage update with regen question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:33 PM
a64armt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mileage update with regen question....

Just returned from a long weekend trip. Trip from Savannah GA to Orlando FL. 6 days, 900 miles, averaged 17.8 for the trip down (highway) and average for whole trip (highway/city) was 16.9mpg. I am really happy with those numbers. I drove 67-68mph on the highway with a few runs to 75 to get around other vehicles. Driving in Orlando to Universal studios and to work on Monday and Tuesday, I drove conservative, but it was still about 1/3 city driving.

Truck is a Job #2 with the original PCM flash (build date July 07). 4x4, crew cab, short bed, KR, 3.73 rear, 20" wheels, Fiberglass Leer Toneau (if it matters).

This brings me to my regen question. During our return trip, we went into St Augustine FL and had lunch by the bay. When parking along the A1A, the truck went to a high idle (about 1100 rpm), I am assuming this was a regen mode. I looked at the info display, nothing indicated regen. I hit the setup and initiated the system check, nothing noted. I let the truck idle for 3 min, but it never changed idle. I reved up, but always returned to around 1100 rpm. After we ate (2 hours later), the truck started and the idle was normal.

I have never seen anything on my dash to indicate regen (truck has 3200 miles). I don't have any black soot on my tail pipe either.

First, was the high idle an indication of regen? Second, should I have seen any dash indication without the latest PCM flash?

I think I will head to the dealer and request a reflash. I also hear the latest reflash will correct the cruise control extreme acceleration under resume.

Vincent

Old 09-18-2008, 07:12 PM
jrtraderny
Senior User
Originally Posted by a64armt
Just returned from a long weekend trip. Trip from Savannah GA to Orlando FL. 6 days, 900 miles, averaged 17.8 for the trip down (highway) and average for whole trip (highway/city) was 16.9mpg. I am really happy with those numbers. I drove 67-68mph on the highway with a few runs to 75 to get around other vehicles. Driving in Orlando to Universal studios and to work on Monday and Tuesday, I drove conservative, but it was still about 1/3 city driving.

Truck is a Job #2 with the original PCM flash (build date July 07). 4x4, crew cab, short bed, KR, 3.73 rear, 20" wheels, Fiberglass Leer Toneau (if it matters).

This brings me to my regen question. During our return trip, we went into St Augustine FL and had lunch by the bay. When parking along the A1A, the truck went to a high idle (about 1100 rpm), I am assuming this was a regen mode. I looked at the info display, nothing indicated regen. I hit the setup and initiated the system check, nothing noted. I let the truck idle for 3 min, but it never changed idle. I reved up, but always returned to around 1100 rpm. After we ate (2 hours later), the truck started and the idle was normal.

I have never seen anything on my dash to indicate regen (truck has 3200 miles). I don't have any black soot on my tail pipe either.

First, was the high idle an indication of regen? Second, should I have seen any dash indication without the latest PCM flash?

I think I will head to the dealer and request a reflash. I also hear the latest reflash will correct the cruise control extreme acceleration under resume.

Vincent
1) yes
2) no
3) correct

jr

Old 09-19-2008, 07:08 AM
a64armt
Senior User
Thanks for the reply and information. As usual, this place and its members, are a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks again,
Vincent

Old 09-19-2008, 08:44 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
does sound like it went into regen, that is what mine does, I have a job3.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:50 PM
ab257z
Senior User
An original job 2 flash should have shown regeneration indicated if you went into the engine info menu.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:53 PM
a64armt
Senior User
Engine info menu?

Is this selected by pushing the "info" button until the message reads "press reset for system check"? I did do that during the incident, but nothing was stated.

Thanks,
Vincent

Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 AM
grende7581
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I took a road trip this weekend, Norfolk to Jersey Shore. Prior to the trip I don't think the truck has ever regen'd (only 2200 miles). While interstate driving I happened to see the dashboard indication of a regen at 2400. Other than the dashboard indication there was no noticeable change in the sound (window's down) or performance.

Question; how often can i expect regen cycles? I drive conservatively

Mileage to NJ was the same a64armt. The interesting thing was my return trip mileage. I drove the coastal route non-interstersate (GSP, 113, 13) typically below 65, with stop lights. 21.7mpg .... i was very impressed.

There seems to be a 10mph line between 17.8mpg at 70 and 21.7 at 60.
Question; Do thee results sound typical of what other have found?

BTW, F-350 PSD 3.73 18" Auto, Truckcover USA-bed cover, lightly loaded, not sure what happened to my signature.

Last edited by grende7581; 09-22-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: no signature
Old 09-22-2008, 09:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I have gone into regen around 300-400 miles. I went camping this last weekend, pulling 8K trailer, went into regen 1 time, didn't know except that I saw it flash accross the screen. No loss of power or anything. Was going up and down 6-7% grades at 65-70 no problem.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:34 AM
jrtraderny
Senior User
Originally Posted by ab257z
An original job 2 flash should have shown regeneration indicated if you went into the engine info menu.

Mine's a job 2 built in Nov. 08 and doesn't show the message.
jr

Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is a job 2 too and it does not indicate regen on the display by pushing the status button.

Hopefully it will tomorrow though as it is in the shop.

Bob

Old 09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
mikey2000
Senior User
My Job 1 F450 just got the latest flash. I saw "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" twice in 550 miles. It does not flash but stays in the message center until the regen is over. The message over-rides the screen that you are on like the "50 miles to empty" message. I never regened on the 650 mile trip home! My truck is a little more "peppy" and the MPG average seems a little more sensitive with the new flash.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:03 PM
DieselWhisperer
Senior User
Well mikey2000 that answers my question! I had the new flash in July on my job 1. I've been watching the message center like a hawk since then and have yet to see a regen. That's been 2 months and at least 3 or 4 thousand miles with a couple of road trips in there. My truck doesn't regen anymore! I have sooty tailpipes and a visable trail of black smoke. I guess that shoots that theroy in the head that the truck will automatically go into regen after so much time or so many miles as a fail safe. I feel like I could just take the DPF off now and not have any problems. Any and all comments welcome.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:15 PM
mikey2000
Senior User
Originally Posted by DieselWhisperer
Well mikey2000 that answers my question! I had the new flash in July on my job 1. I've been watching the message center like a hawk since then and have yet to see a regen. That's been 2 months and at least 3 or 4 thousand miles with a couple of road trips in there. My truck doesn't regen anymore! I have sooty tailpipes and a visable trail of black smoke. I guess that shoots that theroy in the head that the truck will automatically go into regen after so much time or so many miles as a fail safe. I feel like I could just take the DPF off now and not have any problems. Any and all comments welcome.
You should double check that you have the latest flash. I took my truck in before my trip to get a bunch of little things done and complained about the run-a-way cruise on resume. No where on my invoice from the dealer does it say "reflash pcm" lots of "customer states" and "monitor" mumbo jumbo. I didn't think they reflashed it because they also stated "found a loose connection and repaired". I was shocked when I looked down and saw "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" in the message center. Do you have the run-a-way cruise issue?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
larrygranny1
Freshman User
got the latest flash today. more pep, idles at lower rpm, mileage appears to improve about 1.4

Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 PM
DieselWhisperer
Senior User
Well I took the service writer the TSB number and yes, it did fix my cruise control resume problem. As a matter of fact the diesel tech did the flash out in the parking lot while I watched (of course I didn't really know what I was watching).
I just got back a few minutes ago from a trip to Beckley, about 90 miles round trip. Averaged 13.7 on the computer, with 1 really big mountain to cross. A 9% grade from 1700 ft ASL to around 4,000 ft ASL and only once did the MPG drop to 13.6 A couple of months ago making this same trip my mileage would drop down in the 11's
I will call the dealer tomorrow and ask him if he is sure I got the latest flash, but we already know that he'll say yes.

Quick Reply: Mileage update with regen question....