1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

I FINALLY get to tow w/my truck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I FINALLY get to tow w/my truck!!!

So I finally get to use my truck for its intended purpose...
(assuming the boat passes the mechanics tests)
After selling the white truck I have finally saved up enough money to buy an used boat (been saving for 3 years now). I am leaving texas on the 18th and driving to pick it up then making the trip back to tx w/the boat in tow.

I am changing my trans fluid, the fluid in both diffs, and the normal fluids as well as making sure my trailer lights are working. Is there anything else yall reccommend for my first big tow? what do yall usually take along for long tows?

On Edit: I am buying a 25ft Robalo Center Console w/twin 200hp mercs for $7300 (talked them down from 9K)...and the dealership is paying for my fuel costs for the whole trip

Old 09-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Epd444
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have gauges?? Thats pretty nice of the dealership to pay for your fuel

Old 09-10-2008, 04:06 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Boats are a luxury item... if you're hurting for money you wont go buy one, so they need sales now more than ever...
good buy!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:12 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Epd444
Do you have gauges?? Thats pretty nice of the dealership to pay for your fuel
I dont have guages, injectors, or anything perf. related...with exception of my 6637.
Most of my money has been going into the bank saving for a boat....I have been penny-pinching pretty hardcore the past few years so most of the truck extras (injectors, chip, etc) I have wanted to buy/install have been pushed back a few months

Old 09-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Epd444
Elder User
Forgot to say, congrats on the purchase

Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
thanks yall.. I am really excited about it.
I am a member of the SFA Fishing Team/Club....cough cough number 1 in the nation for collegiate fishing

I have been stuck riding in the other guys boats for a few years now but that is finally about to change

Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats on the boat! I think once you take care of all the stuff you mentioned you'll be fine. A few things you may want to have though which you already probably have most of- some kind of a jack for the trailer, lug wrench, fix-a-flat, and a tire/tube patch kit just in case. If the trailer has a spare I'd just make sure to carry a lug wrench and a jack (or if it's a tandem axle, you can use a piece of 4x4 with an angle cut on one end and drive the good tire up onto the block, which will lift the flat off the ground).

Old 09-10-2008, 04:48 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Nice.
with the 6637 and nothing else, you'll be fine with EGT's. If you run a hill for more than a mile or so, i would let off very briefly every half mile or so. this will assure you stay below the 1200 mark. towing a boat like that, you should be able to accelerate uphill, so this wont be a problem to keep speed.
When i was running with just a 6637 and gauges, shooting uphill at 85, my EGTs could just hit 1150 and if i let off for half a second they would drop to 900 and take a while to climb back up.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Sounds like a 12-15K load??
Good bargaining on the fuel costs
I think a trans temp gauge is a must, there is no other
way of keeping track of the health of it. At least watch for the
TC hunting back and forth if you tow in OD....
An extra CPS and tools to swap it out will is another must.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 PM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
Um....along with the trans gauge...I would definatly get a aftermarket tranny cooler on there....I recently pulled a similar boat....center consoles are taller than most boats so there is a lot of boat over your truck,so you will be pushing alot of air

Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Boat should only weigh about 6250. If it has a top, AKA parachutte when towing, it will tow harder than a peformance boat. just because of the above mentioned wind. Goodluck on the boat and fishing....LOL

Old 09-10-2008, 11:32 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
thanks yall for the tips...I can use any advice about towing.

She doesn't have a parachute yet, a t-top will be my first ad-on...depending on price.

On edit: I would rather have a regular hitch but the replacement bumper that came w/the truck has a receiever built into the bumper (ranch hand style). Will I be ok towing w/my ranch hand style rear bumper? It is a drop style bumper so it blocks any possible installation of a normal hitch...what kind of restrictions (in terms of weight) am I looking at when I tow from the reciever hitch on the replacement bumper?
I would sure hate to buy the boat, and start pulling away and have my boat/bumper/drop-hitch stay in the parking lot while I drive away..

Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 AM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
those bumpers are usually rated like a regular hitch....I would do a full inspection on it(even take it to a hitch place a see what they say)

Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
i dont know how much your bumper hangs down but i have an 12k/14k WD reciver hitch with a stock 10 inch drop bumper. i have a local shop i go to for all that kind of stuff called glens welding and custom truck if you have a local place like that where they know what they are talking about i would suggest going there and getting there opinion. i also agree with getting a aftermarket trans cooler the biggest one you can get, to be on the safe size, the stock coolers from what i hear arnt even suitable for a car. i would do an through ispection of the trailer and breaks and grease the bearing before taking off out of the dealer parking lot. call them when you are on there way there and ask them to do these things for you before you get there and that you will be checking them for yourself as well to avoid any possible delays on pickup. carry an grease gun with you some basic tools and even an set of bearings is not a bad idea. also check the tires for any signs of dry rot. and dont forget that boat stands for break out another thousand

Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Towing tips: leave more time for everything, especially braking. take corners slower than you think you need to until you get the hang of it. that's heavy enough that if you get a head wind or hill, i would shift out of OD to help the transmission. an aftermarket cooler would be nice, but the tranny gauge would be best. make sure everything is down tight and check all brakes and signal lights before leaving.
and if you really want to be safe- I dont tow over 60 mph. alot of trailers will sway back and forth above this speed, and your truck is nice and sturdy, you may not feel it until the load gets alot lighter.....
other than that, use common sense and you'll be fine.
also, do you know how to back up a trailer? that's fun...

Quick Reply: I FINALLY get to tow w/my truck!!!