Sponsored by:

snorkle info

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 06:47 PM
orange peel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
snorkle info

i want to put a home made snorkle on my truck but havent found any info on how to do it, do any of you out there no of a good web site or anything that has some good info on how to do this in a fail safe way?

Old 03-12-2002, 08:10 PM
fordmaniac21
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snorkle info

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Mar-02 AT 09:15 PM (EST)]im thinking about putting a snorkel on my 75. if i can ever get the curage to cut the passenger fender. i think that would be the easiest way to run it. my buddy is also wanting to put one on his 85. i guess the only way is to get a closed air cleaner and cut a hole. and route it up into the air.
'75 F-100 4x4, 4" lift
16x38.5x15 super swamper TSL
mini-spooled 9" rear end
390 w/ cam,headers,
and 4 barrell edelbrock

TRIED TRUE and FORD BLUE

Old 03-12-2002, 09:34 PM
orange peel
Posting Guru
snorkle info

i dont care about cuttin the hole, the thing i dont get is how to run it to the carb or off the carb or how to connect it to the carb, after that i think i can figure it out.

Old 03-13-2002, 10:56 AM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
snorkle info

Orange peel, I've been giving this a lot of thought, too. I have a 460 with the stock air cleaner and was thinking of connecting to the rectangular horn on that. Instead of punching thru the fender, I was gonna run a duct into the glove box or in the cab somewhere. But you could do it either way.

My main concern is with the dust and not the water. That's why I want it in the cab.

Kevin K.

Old 03-13-2002, 03:27 PM
orange peel
Posting Guru
snorkle info

ive heard that putting the air filter in the cab makes it really noisy in there, i might not care about engine or tire noise but the constant sucking like that might just get annoying.

Old 03-13-2002, 05:52 PM
the law
Elder User
snorkle info

Keep in mind that if you are getting deep enough to need a snorkel you'll need to seal up and waterproof all your electrical components especially your distributor and coil, and waterproof your oil cap and dipstick. Sparkplugs might also need to be sealed around the edges, but I'm not sure.

The Law

Old 03-23-2002, 10:24 AM
lshort
More Turbo
Received 101 Likes on 56 Posts
snorkle info

Had a 71 that was used only in mud bog /drags .I found a old air cleaner that had the 5 1/8 opening and had two inlets and hooked dryer vent hose to them and ran them inside the cab.You need to make these hoses so they will stay stretched out or they will collapse.I Used coffee cans to connect at firewall.It worked good .With a sealed distributor it would run under water.Also ran all vent hoses into cab.

Larry

Old 03-26-2002, 11:01 PM
77fromheaven
Senior User
snorkle info

lshort, we need to talk man. I just bought a weekend warrior/serious playtoy that i want to run exclusively in mud bogs/drags in indiana (primarily). i haven't had much time to check it over, i bought it in va and drove it home and then came back here to college, but i'm pretty sure after i fix everything that's broken it'll be ready to roll. i wondered if you could offer any advice on how to set it up, like snorkel, etc., or if you had any inside info on what works and what doesn't. oh yeah, if anybody knows anything too, holler. thanks a lot guys!

take it easy,
Luke.

Old 03-29-2002, 01:38 AM
lshort
More Turbo
Received 101 Likes on 56 Posts
snorkle info

Luke I would be glad to talk mud racing with you. I have raced in Indiana in the 1980s at Graysville,Prinston,and Chandler.I am over here in Illinois.

Larry

Old 03-29-2002, 09:35 AM
77fromheaven
Senior User
snorkle info

Hey! Great! do you use email? my address is fun_n_tumble(No Email Addresses In Posts!). I don't recognize those places at all...I'm from the Fort Wayne area, and I haven't really checked out where to go, besides the local motorcross track. Hope to hear from you soon!

Luke.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:58 PM
orange peel
Posting Guru
snorkle info

ok, i havent given this idea much thought since i last read this post which apparently was in march. but now that i have my exhaust running up and over my cab i think im about ready to run the snorkle, from reading the replies this is my plan: im going to get the stock air cleaner housing that has the hose on it that ran to the grill, im going to run that to the passenger side of the truck, cut a hole in the side, use dryer tubeing to run it up to the roof and then just connect a K&N to that.
but how do i keep the tube tight? i saw the coffee can idea but i didnt really get it. thanks for any input

Old 09-09-2002, 11:50 PM
prepmech
Freshman User
snorkle info

Instead of using dryer tubing, you could use PVC pipe. It would not collapse, and you can get all sorts of elbows and fittings to make it work.

Prepmech

Old 09-10-2002, 08:58 PM
orange peel
Posting Guru
snorkle info

thats a really good idea, kinda suprised i didnt even think about that, thanks a lot.

Old 09-11-2002, 04:49 PM
kiksomepoo
Junior User
snorkle info

I know this might be dumb, but If you are going to be primarily off roading why are you gonig wtih a K&N filter? I heard the paper is better becuase it dosnt let much dust/dirt in the engine like the K&N does.

Old 09-20-2002, 11:54 PM
jrod60
Freshman User
snorkle info

i've heard of people using exhaust tubing as well. it would probably be lighter than the pvc, and the connections wouldn't be so obvious. not sure on the pricing, but look at some 4" pipe and see how that tickles you.
K&N filter do NOT let in more dirt than a paper filter. their job is to keep the dirt out. and if your filter is up in the air for all the world to crap on, you'd have to replace a paper filter every time it rained/got muddy/hit a bird/tree..... you get the idea.
i've thought of snokeling my Scout, but i'm not too keen on choppin the fenders...
Jared

Quick Reply: snorkle info